Author Topic: 2018 National Draft thread  (Read 43399 times)

Online taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Re: 2018 National Draft thread
« Reply #360 on: November 23, 2018, 03:34:05 PM »
Hartley said we would only be taking four in the main draft and no mature age players and that's how its panned out. :shh

Rookie draft should be interesting 4 spots after Weller & Townsend , 3 if we re-rookie Chol.,,,got a feeling we might leave a spot free for the mid-season draft... :shh :shh

Quality state leaguers like Gibbons, Lentini, Grigg, Pickett all still available...Jordan Sweet if we dont re-rookie Chol.. and big sliders like Stack, Grundy , Lewis and Podjhalski or however you spell it.... :shh :shh :shh

you are forgetting Baker on rookie list, we can

Have 6 on Cat A Rookie list - Already have Bakes & Weller & possibly Towner & Marbs so max 2 more

and
3 on Cat B - Already have Derek Smith so max another 2

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #361 on: November 23, 2018, 06:54:43 PM »
For some reason I thought Baker git upgraded when Moore did....

Surpised the likes of Grundy, Stack, Podhalski & Lewis didn't even get rookied...

...and State Leaguers that were being highly rated this year like Grigg, Gibbons, Lentini, Pickett, Rippon, Lok abd West Coast GF hero Woodward didn't get a gig either.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #362 on: November 23, 2018, 07:47:38 PM »
I still reckon on what I have seen that Stack is a better prospect than Hill.

Also am suprised that Jye Bolton didn't get picked up by Gold Coast. Reckon they could have done with a nice big bodied bloke to go into the middle, and he is a dual Sandover medallist.

I'd have liked us to have picked up Tyron Smallwood as a rookie. Lot of upside.

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #363 on: November 23, 2018, 08:12:11 PM »
For some reason I thought Baker git upgraded when Moore did....

Surpised the likes of Grundy, Stack, Podhalski & Lewis didn't even get rookied...

...and State Leaguers that were being highly rated this year like Grigg, Gibbons, Lentini, Pickett, Rippon, Lok abd West Coast GF hero Woodward didn't get a gig either.... :shh

Grundy was selected by Port in the main draft.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #364 on: November 23, 2018, 08:52:25 PM »
Huh so he was.....pick 73 ...after our last pick.....no wonder I missed it .... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #365 on: November 23, 2018, 08:59:13 PM »

- Gustav Mahler

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #366 on: November 24, 2018, 11:15:52 AM »
From watching the clips of our first 3 picked, I would say 3 pretty solid safish picks. Ross looks the most ready for AFL IMO and not just on size and body shape.

No real weapons to see at this stage but you never know. (I though the same about Vlastuin when we first drafted him and how wrong I was- Star!!)

I still hate seeing FJ anywhere near the club. I wish the old fool would FRO.

Also wrapped that Townsend is still a Tiger but think Chol and even more so Aarts are extremely lucky.  Think we could have better there.   

Anyway looking forward to seeing them all develop over the next 4 or so months during preseason.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #367 on: November 24, 2018, 12:11:52 PM »
Was initially annoyed we didn't trade back into the top 30-40 but not so much now...and maybe we tried but were gazumped - who knows... :shh

RCD made the draft and the off-season for me....club took my first choice with it frst pick for once.....as stoked -as the kids woulds say- about it as getting Lynch, maybe even moreso.... :shh

Can't say Ross was in any of my pre-draft thoughts but he looks the right size & AFL ready... :shh

English was a steal..... :clapping

Fitter and Turner is a clearly wake up call to Menadue and possibly Markov too .....personally I would've gone Darcy Fort with this pick....and delisated Soldo and got Grundy  - the absolute steal of the draft IMO  (though we probably could've dome that and still picked Thomas or even an earlier pick  had either Menadue been traded or delisted  or Grigg retired like they should've been).. ..Grundy, Balta & Gathwaite would've made the transition from Rance, Grimes & Astbury seemless...  :shh

Rookie draft - would've gone Lentini, Gibbons, Stack or at least Mannagh if we insisted on drafting from within over Aarts or even Sweet for more ruck depth and Mitch Grigg over Weller....  :shh

p.s. Carlton not realising we were only taking Stocker because we assumed RCD wouldn't still  be there - gold! :clapping :shh

« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 12:29:14 PM by Diocletian »

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #368 on: November 24, 2018, 10:13:08 PM »

p.s. Carlton not realising we were only taking Stocker because we assumed RCD wouldn't still  be there - gold! :clapping :shh

Makes a good story because it hurts the Blues but...…...not sure if it is actual true.

I have it from a good source that West Coast forced this trade.

Apparently Stocker was firmly in the Eagles sights. Both the Eagles and Carlton knew that the Tigers would grab RCD if he was available. It is no doubt true that the Tigers didn't think he would last to our pick.

When it became apparent that RCD would be available to the Tigers, the Blues acted. The couldn't get a trade done with the Tigers, who were not prepared to miss on RCD. Ditto the Lions who wanted Smith and wouldn't trade. The Eagles deal with GWS included a commitment that the Giants would not take Stocker, so the Eagles were set to pounce with pick 23.

So Adelaide got the lollies from the Blues. The Eagles then traded down with GC, who badly wanted McLennan.

The Eagles, apparently, did not have that great of a draft as per what they hoped to achieve. They did some live trading early to try and get a pick in the 11-15 range, but couldn't get it done. Not sure who their target at that stage was. They missed on Stocker as well.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #369 on: November 24, 2018, 11:16:00 PM »
Carlton thought Balmey was really upset that they beat us to Stocker

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #370 on: November 25, 2018, 12:50:38 PM »
We also had 12 players who we knew wouldn't get to us. Jordan Clark was the last one drafted. He went to Geelong.

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #371 on: November 25, 2018, 04:35:15 PM »
We also had 12 players who we knew wouldn't get to us. Jordan Clark was the last one drafted. He went to Geelong.

I think you will find that of the 12 players that we knew wouldnt get to us, RCD was one of those 12, and he did.

RCD was a huge surprise that he lasted.

This is FACT

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #372 on: November 25, 2018, 06:22:01 PM »

I think you will find that of the 12 players that we knew wouldnt get to us, RCD was one of those 12, and he did.

This is FACT
Incorrect. RCD was in the next batch of 13 players who were a possibility of being drafted. However, Matt Clarke didn't think he would get to us and felt Stocker and a few others would. So he rated RCD higher than Stocker. He felt Stocker needed to work a lot on his running.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #373 on: November 25, 2018, 06:38:11 PM »

This is FACT
Incorrect. RCD was in the next batch of 13 players who were a possibility of being drafted. However, Matt Clarke didn't think he would get to us and felt Stocker and a few others would. So he rated RCD higher than Stocker. He felt Stocker needed to work a lot on his running.

So RFC had RCD rated somewhere between 13 - ?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #374 on: November 25, 2018, 06:42:31 PM »
Probably 13 to 15.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.