Author Topic: Alex Rance opens up on Hardwick, Leppa, faith & aiming for a 2nd flag (H-Sun)  (Read 681 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond Tigers star Alex Rance opens up on Damien Hardwick

Al Paton,
Herald Sun
31 Jan 2018

RICHMOND star Alex Rance has shed new light on his Jehovah’s Witness faith, how close he came to quitting footy and his surprisingly rocky relationship with coach Damien Hardwick.

The premiership defender and 2017 All-Australian captain called for more acceptance of people who are “not just a cookie cutter off the production line” and says he has no fears of the Tigers suffering a flag hangover.

Drafted with pick 18 in 2007, Rance’s career drifted for his first two seasons as he struggled to see eye-to-eye with his coach.

In a lengthy interview with 20FOUR, Rance described the coaching directions early in his career as like a “dictatorship”.

“We are very different personalities,” he said of Hardwick.

“I think early days it would have been hard for Dimma to wrap his head around what I was about — am I just taking the pee or am I actually going to be a decent player for this club? Am I going to distract people?

“I was very outspoken about how I thought the game was, and I still don’t necessarily play the game by the game plan a lot of the time. It works out a lot of the time, sometimes it doesn’t.

“Our relationship had to grow from there. We do have a lot in common but it wasn’t as if we were super tight, having dinners every second week.”

Rance credited the arrival of Justin Leppitsch as an assistant coach at the end of 2009 with kickstarting his career.

“In my first few years I was a tagger, a forward, a wingman, they started me as a running half-back but I couldn’t kick and hit a target, so then it was like, ‘What do we do with you?’.

“It wasn’t until Leppa came along, who is probably more of that father figure or older brother, who said, ‘You’ve got all these attributes, let’s funnel them into making you a really good key-position player’. That was the moment that sparked my career.”

Rance said he was “very very close” to quitting footy in 2015 to concentrate on his family and his faith.

The defender is a devout Jehovah’s Witness and wanted to spread God’s word, but ran into an unexpected hurdle.

“People need to make that decision for themselves so I found that quite conflicting — I wanted to talk to people about deeper issues but I didn’t want to have so much sway that they’d just do it because I’m Alex Rance the footballer. That weighed on my mind a lot from the spiritual perspective.”

In the end he decided he would miss footy too much, but his faith still presents challenges on the field, especially when he throws his weight around.

“When I want to talk to people about love and care, and they are definitely things that are central parts of being Jehovah’s Witness, that’s conflicting because I’m beating a guy up ... but then when I talk about the leadership side of things I definitely feel that I show that empathy, care, humility to try to make others better.

“It’s definitely not an easy road to walk.”

Asked if Richmond could reproduce the hunger that led to a shock premiership in 2017, Rance had no doubts. And he has a typically offbeat reason to aim for a second flag.

“It’s like a drug, it’s so addictive.

“I’d celebrate a different way (if Richmond wins another Grand Final). I don’t think I’d be running around like a headless chook again, I think I’d try to take more in.

“When Hawthorn won one of theirs I saw Ben Stratton running around with a GoPro on his head and I thought, ‘You look like a flog’ ... and now I think that is the greatest thing I’ve ever seen because forever he’ll have that and can just play it over and over.

“If we ever get the chance again, I’ll be getting a GoPro in my backpack for sure.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/alex-rance-opens-up-on-his-faith-footy-and-relationship-with-coach-damien-hardwick/news-story/9df4b4d173bf48ff1432dc72ca2b1a0f

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Here is the 20Four interview with Rance:

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxchwLp-tAs&feature=youtu.be

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Thanks for posting that OE, quite interesting but misleading when you listen to the interview.
What jumped out at me was the fact that the reporter does not know or research his timeline.

Rance was drafted in 2007 and thus spent his first two years under Wallace, Rawlings, McCrae and Royal.
This was the "dictatorship" that I think he was referring to in those years and also being shifted all over the place. (about 19:30 into the interview)

He raves about having a great relationship with Leppitsch.
Leppitsch joined at the end of 2009 with Hardwick, Lade etc.
It is also notable that the game plan that he was kicking against, with the focus on Richo, also included Bowden.
Both Richo and Bowden retired in 2009.
I don't think it is a coincidence that Bowden and Richardson left (with the focus till then on them), Leppitsch joined and Rance improved.

I think he still resisted a "dictatorship" style under Hardwick but was protected by Leppitsch.
What always sticks in my mind was the incident when Williams loudly and roughly paid out on Chol during a game. Rance tried to protect the kid and told Williams to back off a bit. Williams then rounded on Rance and asked him how many AFL games he'd coached. My opinion is that was the beginning of the end for the "treat 'em mean" type coaching. Thank the premiership gods.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Hitting Watts in the back of the head must have tested his faith..... :whistle
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Hitting Watts in the back of the head must have tested his faith..... :whistle
Well according to Ricky Nixon it never happened as Rance never has an opponent  :whistle.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd