Author Topic: Hardwick's new contract discussion thread [merged]  (Read 1415 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick's new contract discussion thread [merged]
« on: February 06, 2018, 01:45:42 AM »
Tom Browne on Ch 7 news last night said a contract extension for Hardwick isn't far off.

Browne: Any plans to extend his contract again or is that all looked after?

Benny Gale: There will be, Tom. We'd like to see Damien coaching us for several years to come. He's contracted until the end of 2018.

Go to 1:30 min mark of this clip: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/960421209232977921

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick should be AFL’s highest paid coach says Watson (SEN)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »
Dimma should be AFL’s highest paid coach says Watson

By SEN
6 Feb 2018

Damien Hardwick should be the AFL’s highest paid coach, according to former Essendon captain Tim Watson.

Hardwick enters 2018 out of contract, but after he led Richmond to a drought-breaking premiership last season, re-signing him is a no brainer.

“I would give him three years and I think you need to make him the top-paid coach in the competition, so it would be between $800 thousand and $1 million,” Watson said on SEN Breakfast.

“When you look at where he is right now, he is at the top of his game, he is a premiership coach and they have a fairly young list.

“All the key planks are there for the football cub to have a dynasty and sustained success.

“Why would you not put him in as the coach for the next three-to-four years?”

This season will be Hardwick’s ninth as senior coach of the Tigers, and he is on track to break records in the head honcho chair at Punt Road.

He has coached 182 games for Richmond, and if he remains, as expected, on board for a further two-to-three seasons at least, Hardwick will surpass Jack Dyer’s 222 games and be close to Tom Hafey’s 248.

Tigers CEO Brendon Gale told Channel 7 last night that a contract extension is on the way for Hardwick.

“We would like to see Damien coaching us for several years to come,” he said.

Hardwick has a 50.5 percent win-loss record throughout his coaching tenure at Richmond.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/02/05/dimma-should-be-afl's-highest-paid-coach-says-watson/

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Hardwick should be AFL’s highest paid coach says Watson (SEN)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »
He likes to talk up what Richmond should pay their employees does Timmy...still bitter that his old man kept supporting us when he played for Essendon.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 04:11:58 PM »
What a surprise Whispy thinks it's all about the money.
How did your super coaching team of Hird and Thompson go at the Dons?
And what about the expensive payouts and high paid emergency replacements after the drug program fallout?

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 08:40:56 PM »
He likes to talk up what Richmond should pay their employees does Timmy...still bitter that his old man kept supporting us when he played for Essendon.... :shh

It's such a great story when they drove out to Waverley together
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 08:49:07 PM »
Regardless of what Timmy says, Dimma does deserve a top rate in his next contract IMO.

I'd have thought he want some incentives in it that would push him well beyond $1million if he wins another flag though.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Damien Hardwick contract: Richmond ready to negotiate with premiership coach

JON RALPH,
Herald Sun
15 Feb 2018

RICHMOND is ready to negotiate with premiership coach Damien Hardwick on a lucrative contract extension.

But the Tigers are limited in the pay rise they can hand Hardwick because of the AFL’s football department salary cap.

The AFL today confirmed to the Herald Sun that the cap for football expenses will remain at $9.58 million, unchanged from 2017.

Former Tigers coach Danny Frawley proposed a marketing exemption for senior coaches which could see them earning up to $2.5 million a year.

He said Hardwick and Alastair Clarkson were woefully underpaid, with the Hawks aware they could not pay the four-time premiership coach his true worth in his last extension.

Hardwick has another year to run on his deal but the Tigers have made Hardwick aware they are ready to discuss an extension when he is ready.

He will meet with his management early in the year, with a new deal taking him past nine seasons at the club.

A two-year extension to 2020 would allow him to pass tommy Hafey’s 248 games coached and become Richmond’s longest-serving coach in its decorated history.

Clubs like Hawthorn and Richmond, which pay most or all of the football department cap, have little wiggle room to pay coaches more in the event of a premiership.

Melbourne could only afford to pay Paul Roos in excess of $1.5 million a year because it was a growing club with space in its football cap.

Frawley, the former head of the AFL Coaches Association, has no doubt the best coaches in the league are significantly underpaid.

“There has got to be a marketing component in their salaries. These guys sell their clubs on much more than their coaching ability,’’ he said.

“I know Alastair Clarkson adds so much to a club. He should get paid some of his contract outside the soft cap.

“There are a whole range of incentives he should be able to profit from. On the open market a guy like Clarkson should be to be paid somewhere in the vicinity of $2-$2.5 million. But because of the cap he might be on $1.2 or $1.4 million.

“Damien Hardwick and John Longmire are no different. I have no doubt Paul Roos was given a huge salary at Melbourne because of the brand he brought.”

Coaches customarily have one-off premiership bonuses in their contracts starting at $100,000 and going up to $250,000.
Danny Frawley says Alastair Clarkson is underpaid.

Frawley said the elite senior coaches helped drive revenue through membership, sponsorship, merchandising and corporate sponsors worth millions.

But despite their clubs earning multimillion-dollar profits their salaries are capped because of the myriad expenses going into the football department cap.

If a club wishes to pay over the cap it must pay an extra 75 cents on every dollar it spends as a tax, which means few have done so since the cap was introduced.

Coaching legend David Parkin disagrees coaches are underpaid, saying they are still well compensated.

“This is an old man’s view but it’s a privilege to be in the game, playing or coaching, and they are extremely well paid for what they do,’’ he said.

“In most cases if you asked them they would be satisfied. I coached at Carlton for 10 years from 1991-2000 and I was paid $200,000 a year whether we won flags or didn’t.

“If they are in it for money they shouldn’t be there. The cap does limit the capacity of teams but it is one of the things the AFL put into place which helps us have three teams win premierships with three different methods the last three years.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/as-damien-hardwick-closes-on-new-deal-danny-frawley-argues-coaches-should-be-paid-as-much-as-25-million-a-year/news-story/7df4ca9ca1003a097e5b906ef22c1027

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond insist Hardwick will stay beyond 2018 (SEN)
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 05:58:28 PM »
Richmond insist Hardwick will stay beyond 2018

SEN
21 Feb 2018

Richmond Football Club CEO Brendon Gale has made it vehemently clear that Damien Hardwick will be handed a new contract.

The premiership-winning coach is under contract with the Tigers until the end of the 2018 season but there is no doubt in the mind of Gale that he will be a fixture at Punt Road beyond this year.

“This is his last year, we want him to coach beyond 2018,” said Gale on SEN Afternoons.

“What that looks like? We’re working through. When we resolve that? We don’t have a timeframe.

“But now, our belief has been validated. It’s very hard to win premierships at Richmond.

“It’s a very tough environment to manage and coach so our confidence in him has been vindicated, and I think he just keeps growing.

“Having experienced 2016 has made Damien a much more accomplished coach, and (he has) so much more self-knowledge.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/02/21/richmond-insist-hardwick-will-stay-beyond-2018/

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Hardwick's new contract discussion thread [merged]
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 08:42:01 PM »
A five year extension sounds fair

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richmond insist Hardwick will stay beyond 2018 (SEN)
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 09:45:00 PM »

It’s very hard to win premierships at Richmond.

What is Gale's point here?

Is it easier to win them elsewhere?

I don't get it, but maybe I am missing the obvious.