Author Topic: Our theme song has been tweaked  (Read 9143 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Our theme song has been tweaked
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 10:40:33 PM »
At least we are not alone on this one.

All the new club songs are just as bad as ours! :lol
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 10:51:38 PM »
Just be thankful it wasn't re-worked as a rap or by a bunch of Motown wannabes trilling the shyte out of it....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 11:08:30 PM »

I notice Eddie has said that the Pies wont be playing the new one amd will stick with the Fable Singers one despite the AFL's directive
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 01:13:13 AM »
Every clubs new theme song revealed. No problem with ours for me, skin corrected to shin a big plus.

https://www.zerohanger.com/listen-every-clubs-new-theme-song-18588/

Just visited the site, and couldn't believe my ears. Sat listening in a state of shock until they started singing the words, when I realised that I had actually chosen the Port Adelaide song instead of the Richmond one. Thank goodness. The Port one starts off with music that sounds like a cross between a Colour climax film and entering a roman colosseum.

Listened to the new Richmond version. Doesn't do much for me, don't see why we needed it re-recorded.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 01:24:43 AM »

I notice Eddie has said that the Pies wont be playing the new one amd will stick with the Fable Singers one despite the AFL's directive

Out of interest, the AFL has now backflipped and said clubs can choose which version they use.

And I also just read that one of the original group who sang those club songs back in 1972, The Fable Brothers, was Josh Caddy's great uncle.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 08:11:37 AM »
What a disgrace. Can someone tell me why this was necessary?

Why can’t they change the word but keep the original version? It’s not 1988 ffs

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Muscles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »
The sound is very thin.  Something has been taken away from the original depth of both the tune and the vocals.  Sounds like a cheap imitation.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 01:56:37 PM »
The sound is very thin.  Something has been taken away from the original depth of both the tune and the vocals.  Sounds like a cheap imitation.

Apparently the new recordings are better designed for digital formats. I have no idea what the really means, just heard that was one reason.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 04:52:09 PM »
Every clubs new theme song revealed. No problem with ours for me, skin corrected to shin a big plus.

https://www.zerohanger.com/listen-every-clubs-new-theme-song-18588/

It's awful, actually worse than the snippet I heard previously

It lacks passion, generates zero excitement and to be blunt is boring. Our song is the best in the comp this cheapens it

The correction of one word doesn't justify completely re-recording the song and have it sound like the local "Barber Quartet" sung it and didn't give a crap

Just my take

Did anyone really expect any different from a bunch of PR wankers who never leave the corporate suites?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2018, 06:33:59 PM »

Did anyone really expect any different from a bunch of PR wankers who never leave the corporate suites?

Just really disappointed with our Club

First it's unnecessary watermarks one our guernseys now this. Just seems the club thinks that because we won the flag they can tinker with so many traditions and no one will bat an eyelid

The Club approached the AFL about getting ours redone because of one word being wrong

And now  the AFL are using that as part of the justification for this whole debacle

45 years the Fable Singers version have been around. Everyone has known that 1 word was wrong in ours and we've lived with it. Now suddenly it has to be changed. Fine change it but it didnt need to be re-recorded.

Interestingly, 20 years ago when the Swans wanted the word South changed to Swans, song wasn't re-recorded they just changed the one word.  Proves it can be done

Why haven't we done that

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 05:09:52 AM »
Richmond, which will unveil its premiership flag at the MCG on Thursday in front of an expected 95,000 people, is now risking “head and shin”, which is the correct wording of the song, not “head and skin” which was sung in the most recent recording.

The Tigers revealed on Friday the club led the charge to have its song updated to correct the lyrics and have incorporated two special elements into the recording.

Tiger greats Kevin Bartlett and Matthew Richardson have contributed to the song, with their voices mixed into the new recording.

The club said their voices will now “forever be part of the iconic Tiger tune.”

Every club was given the opportunity for their theme songs to get the 2018 treatment in a bid to ensure their quality was in keeping with modern expectations.

The audio quality was improved on songs for 15 of 18 clubs which are played when teams enter the arena, and also after victories.

Old recordings were given the once-over by the AFL to offer stronger digital sound quality, while also making “minor lyric changes”, which were also done at the request of clubs.

The clubs believe the new versions offer “better” not different songs.

“The AFL was approached by a number of clubs to provide minor updates to their songs,” AFL general manager of clubs and operations Travis Auld said in a statement.

“In doing so, we offered all the clubs the ability to have a new recording, to offer stronger digital sound quality. A number of the club songs are old recordings of diminishing quality. Minor lyric changes were only made following requests from respective football clubs.”

Only Fremantle, GWS and Gold Coast did not have their songs changed.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/stronger-and-bolder-afl-club-songs-will-ring-out-when-the-new-season-starts/news-story/efe99beff012db83528266e4bd8e8e6a

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 05:27:11 AM »
Re-recorded footy club songs strike a sour note

Anthony Colangelo
The Age
17 March 2018

One of the singers of the original AFL theme songs recorded in 1972 says he would be "disappointed" if the league or its clubs chose to use the new recordings of the famous tunes.

The AFL announced on Friday that they had re-recorded 15 of the 18 club theme songs "to offer a stronger digital sound quality", which prompted fierce backlash from fans and Collingwood president Eddie McGuire.

McGuire has confirmed the Pies won't use the new recording, while the AFL has said clubs can choose to use the old or new versions. It is unclear if that was the original intention or if the AFL altered plans due to Friday's uproar.

John Caddy, a member of nine-person vocal group The Fable Singers who performed the original recordings of the 12 Victoria clubs, told The Age the songs should not be tinkered with.

"I'm disappointed to think that the songs that we actually recorded in 1972, and seemed very, very popular, are sort of talked about not being used any more. It's disappointing to me," Mr Caddy, 82 and the great-uncle of Richmond premiership player Josh Caddy, said.

"It makes no difference to me financially because we were just paid for recording them and the days work, any royalties went to the label.

"They are [an intrinsic part of footy culture in Australia].

"I understand the interstate clubs weren't recorded by us ... the Swans didn't change theirs even though they went to Sydney. It doesn't mention South Melbourne in it so the Swans kept what we recorded in 1972.

"I'm a bit disappointed to think my voice might not be ringing out over the speakers at the MCG in future if they did drop them all together."

Caddy said The Fable Singers  – which included renowned Channel Seven film critic and musical director Ivan Hutchinson – recorded the 12 theme songs plus B-side The Football Song in one day in Melbourne.

Richmond, with perhaps the most loved theme song in the AFL, was one of the clubs to request a change to the song. It has been re-recorded so that "risking head and skin" is now "risking head and shin".

Club greats Kevin Bartlett and Matthew Richardson also feature on the recording.

The club confirmed on their website that they would play the new version at the MCG when the Tigers play Carlton on Thursday night in the 2018 AFL season opener.

Caddy, originally a Fitzroy supporter but also a Richmond supporter because of his great-nephew, said he would have been disappointed if Richmond did this.

In a statement, the AFL's general manager of clubs and operations Travis Auld said Fremantle, Gold Coast and the GWS theme songs were not re-recorded.

"The AFL was approached by a number of clubs to provide minor updates to their songs. In doing so we offered all the clubs the ability to have a stronger recording, to offer a stronger digital sound quality," Auld said.

"A number of clubs' songs are old recordings of diminishing quality. Minor lyric changes were only made following requests from respective football clubs."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/it-s-disappointing-fable-singer-member-speaks-out-against-afl-re-recording-theme-songs-20180316-p4z4sz.html

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2018, 07:40:29 AM »
Just listened to the zero hanger link, I can't tell the difference what's all the fuss 8 :huh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2018, 02:47:33 PM »
The AFL has committed an act of cultural vandalism

Dylan Leach
The Age
18 March 2018

The Tiger tribe, ready to sing.

When the final siren sounded at last year’s grand final I was in a state of shock.

After years of heartache, my club had won a premiership, and I had no idea how to cope with the overwhelming emotion. It didn’t feel real.

Then they played the song. That was the moment I was reassured that all this had actually happened. Within a couple of bars, I knew this wasn’t a mistake, it couldn’t be taken back, it wasn’t a dream.

The first belting out of “yellow and black” was as loud as it had ever been. As with other club songs on other premiership days, it became the moment that people rank for joy and significance alongside their wedding vows or the birth of their children. Irrationally, perhaps, but sincerely.

Since 1972 the songs have been the versions recorded by the iconic band The Fable Singers, after they laid the soundtrack for Victorian Football League clubs. We know the songs are all a bit daggy – many lifted from old-time show tunes – but The Fable Singers brought them to life.

The anthems mean so much to people who love their club.

Then during the off-season, the AFL decided that all club songs needed to be “refreshed” and “updated” for the modern football supporter. Now that we’ve heard the results, it’s clear the league has committed an act of cultural vandalism. Musical too, in some cases.

The rerecording of these iconic songs is the quintessential change for the sake of change. At first listen to these new recordings, it sounds as though The Wiggles had been signed up to sanitise the spirit, while the brass band is better suited to a karaoke night than grand final day.

The AFL claim that they’ve had to update the songs due to licensing and royalties. How can a major organisation with a billion-dollar TV deal not be able to renew a music license? Get real.

Longer seasons, shorter games or sling tackles - how would you change the rules if you were AFL boss for a day?

They have also cited the supposed issue of the Fable recordings having incorrect words in them. Richmond has in the club's official lyrics “risking head and shin” not “risking head and skin”, which is in the Fable recording. It’s fair to say the world hasn’t stopped spinning on its axis over the last 45 years as a result. If it really must be fixed, give me 10 minutes with some editing software.

This is not the first time clubs have flirted with changing their theme songs. In round one, 1999, Essendon defeated Carlton and heard a new version of See the Bombers Fly Up, sung by Mike Brady, after the game. Bombers fans hated it and could be heard booing in the crowd. The Fable version was brought back a week later.

Before the 2008 grand final a weird cover version of the Geelong song played as the team ran out. By accident, apparently. It was later cited by Cats fans as proof that they were doomed from the get-go.

The same thing happened to the Hawks after the final siren, and some fans still spew about the confusing moment. The mistake was never made again.

Sydney Swans fans remain mortified that they ran out to Up There for Sydney prior to the 1996 decider and not their actual song, Cheer, Cheer the Red and the White.

Of course people are resistant to change, and often react strongly against it at first. At the same time, when change occurs for no clear reason, there’s some justification in pushing back against it. This is why politicians have to litigate their cases for changes in national life. Otherwise the electorate has every right to reject such moves.

Football fans are attached to their clubs and attached to the songs associated with them in ways far broader than the final siren – think ring tones, weddings, even funerals. All codes of football have their unique quirky charms. For strangers to our wonderful game, teams running through massive paper banners and having singalongs after the game doesn’t make much sense, but it does to us. And when it makes sense to such a big group of people, it’s not up to a few decision-makers to mess with it.

Dylan Leach is a 25-year member of the Richmond Football Club and works in marketing. Based in Brisbane, he is president of the Richmond Supporter Group in Queensland.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the-afl-has-committed-an-act-of-cultural-vandalism-20180317-p4z4u8.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 02:51:54 PM »
Collingwood president Eddie McGuire has promised Collingwood fans that their side will run out to the classic club theme song recording in Round 1 against Hawthorn and not the newly recorded version.

“There’s no need for anyone to die in a ditch over this,” he said.

“The AFL have done a pretty good job. I reckon in the re-recording and the digitalisation of it, they have tried their best to keep as authentic a feel to the original songs as they possibly could, but we thought just listening to them side by side that the original one had a far better resonance.

“The AFL then offered to re-record our song with its original lyrics, so they have done everything they possibly can to try and get this right and I understand where they’re coming from to digitise the songs for the new stadiums, it makes sense.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/03/16/we'll-be-using-the-old-song-promises-eddie/