Author Topic: Mid-season moves “certainly worth thinking about”: Balme (SEN)  (Read 222 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Mid-season moves “certainly worth thinking about”

By SEN
14 Feb 2018

Richmond football boss Neil Balme says the idea of having a mid-season trade period is worth further consideration, but admits he would not be disappointed if the AFL decided to resist its introduction.

Senior coach Damien Hardwick described AFL list rules as “farcical”, after the sudden retirement of Ben Griffiths to become a college football punter in the United States left the Tigers one player short in 2018.

“It’s an interesting opinion to have. We are a bit restricted and a bit limited, and it’s certainly worth thinking about,” Balme said on SEN’s KB and The Doc.

“I’m not quite as fussed about it as he is, but it’s probably something to look at.”

Balme said he is a believer of backing in the talent a team has at their disposal.

“I think what you’ve got is what you’ve got, and you need to deal with it,” he said.

“I’m not that keen on the mid-season draft myself, but that doesn’t mean if it’s there, we couldn’t do it.

“I don’t like it, but it’s only my opinion. I’m a bit old-fashioned.”

He feels having a mid-season draft or trade period is not the right way to build your list, and has the potential to ruin the confidence of players.

“If you don’t have to have a ruckman, you don’t have another one on your list, you go and get another one later,” Balme said.

“I’m not sure that’s the right way to build teams and build people’s confidence, but it’s a lot better now than it used to be.

“I the old days you could be traded without even you knowing.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/02/13/mid-season-moves-certainly-worth-thinking-about/