Author Topic: Tigers search for fadeout answers  (Read 3427 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tigers search for fadeout answers
« on: June 14, 2004, 02:23:43 AM »
14 June 2004   
Herald Sun
Mark Stevens

RICHMOND's season from hell hit a new low yesterday, leaving shattered coach Danny Frawley and besieged president Clinton Casey searching for answers.

The Tigers led by 39 points 24 minutes into the second quarter, but capitulated in front of their faithful against a Fremantle team renowned for its travel sickness.

After being outscored nine goals to three after halftime to lose by 10 points, Casey said he thought the players would have dug deeper considering the high stakes.

"It does hurt. I thought they would've found a bit more in the second half – that's three weeks in a row now," Casey said.

"When the game was there to be won, not enough blokes stood up. It's hard to understand."

Frawley stopped short of lashing out at his players, who are heading for another wasted year with four wins from 12 games, and took the blame himself.

"I still believe our group's good enough to win games of football and the buck stops with me – we've just got to pull them through and get them playing with a lot of confidence," Frawley said.

"As a coach, you know what to expect when you get into this caper and it's disappointing. I'll look at the tape tonight and focus and trying to get the boys up for Saturday night against Carlton."

Frawley said the move by disgruntled member Michael Pahoff to oust the club's board was not a distraction.

"Look, there's been 1000 distractions. It's out of our control, out of my control and out of the players' control."

Frawley, coaching for his career 10 games out from the end of his contract at Punt Rd, discounted a lack of fitness for another second-half fadeout.

The Tigers have now been outscored 35 goals to 12 in second halves in the past three weeks against the Dockers, Kangaroos and Eagles.

He put the sins of the later stages of the contest down to a lack of belief that flared when Fremantle kicked the final two goals before the long break.

"Those two goals Freo kicked just before halftime may've given them a smidgeon of belief. It probably just sowed a couple of seeds of doubt for our boys," Frawley said.

"The first half was probably the best footy we've played for a number of weeks so we've got to look at that and use that as a positive, but we've also got to look at the reasons for some crucial mistakes.

"When you turn the ball over in crucial areas and make a couple of decision-making errors, all of a sudden you're chasing backsides.

"Our decision-making at times really hurts. Their runners ran harder than us. To Fremantle's credit, they got a sniff."

Asked if the team had bottomed out, Casey replied: "You'd like to think so."

"They (the players) will be hurting in there," he said. "Everyone's pretty flat. We had a good lead and we got beat. It's just very disappointing.

"Off-field we're now regrouping for next year. If we can't turn it around, the footy department will be looking to next year too. Another loss or two and we'll be out of the race of the finals this year. It will be another year over."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9835734%255E19742,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Tigers search for fadeout answers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 02:49:36 AM »
"Off-field we're now regrouping for next year. If we can't turn it around, the footy department will be looking to next year too. Another loss or two and we'll be out of the race of the finals this year. It will be another year over."

It is another year over Clinton! Or are you counting on us suddenly and amazingly winning 9 out of the last 10 games to scrape into 8th spot when we can't even beat the travel-sickness experts Freo at the 'G ::).

Our club is full of scarecrows - "If I only had a brain!"  :'(

Jackstar

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2004, 09:09:56 AM »
I will tell the what wrongs without searching.ha
Chaffey, Bowden,Kellaway,Blumfield,Gaspar, Stafford and Hartigan didnt get a kick in the last quarter.
Put in or get out I say.

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2004, 11:03:19 AM »
Bit harsh on Bowden Jackstar, he took Pavlich out of the game to the extent that Pavlich took him to our fwd line in the last quarter. How many times did the ball get in there in the last? I don't think Bowden was our problem yesterday.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 11:07:33 AM »
confidence in their own ability was the reason why we lost yesterday, they have none and that is the coaches fault.
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 05:22:09 PM »
Bowden did a good job on Pavlich.
It was a negative role Bowden had to play on the Freo star and he minimised Pavlichs impact on the game.
Gaspar was never blessed with pace and with the reco he lags even further behind his opponents.
Kickout strategy from full back was a mystery to me.Captain Campbell gave Freo 2 goals from his kickouts at the city end.
Blumfield is a waste of a pick.

froars

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2004, 05:27:24 PM »
They're just not fit - add the training staff to the list of sackables

Jackstar

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2004, 05:35:59 PM »
Hey Puntroadroar, thats exactly what one of the coaches said. ;) are you part of the footy dept ?

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 03:46:20 PM »
"The first half was probably the best footy we've played for a number of weeks …

Given the lack of pressure and running from the Dockers, it would want to be.

As bad as they were in the first half, we were in the second half, if not moreso.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 04:33:55 PM »
Hey Puntroadroar, thats exactly what one of the coaches said. ;) are you part of the footy dept ?

yeah nah, look the boys tried but run out of legs in the second half......................
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2004, 07:39:17 AM »
Obviously they need someone to help rejuvenate their legs.  Which would they prefer - me or Duncan?  Gimme an airline ticket and I'll be there in a flash! ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2004, 03:00:13 PM »
Obviously they need someone to help rejuvenate their legs.  Which would they prefer - me or Duncan?  Gimme an airline ticket and I'll be there in a flash! ;D

Danny: "Yeah nah, Julz is cherry ripe and has stepped up to the plate. Julz will fit nicely into a forward pocket next to the big fella I would have thought"  ;D

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 08:58:29 AM »
Yeah baby!  I'm there!!!

To quote a famous person

LMAOOOOOO!!!