Author Topic: Lids - break out year or second year blues?  (Read 3976 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Lids - break out year or second year blues?
« on: March 08, 2006, 03:27:41 AM »
Alot of people seem to be warning Lids of the second year blues and the fact that he's gonna attract more attention from other clubs coaches and taggers but there seems to be total silence about him going the other more postive way. I know we're trying to not to get ahead of ourselves and put unrealistic expectations on him but his form in the preseason so far doesn't give the impression he'll stagnate for a year (barring injury - touchwood).   

Your guys thoughts?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Lids - break out year or second year blues?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 04:10:12 AM »
Will get better every year and will win a Brownlow - Not sure you heard it here first, but I reckon he is a monty.

What's the earliest in somone's career that they have won a Brownlow ?

letsgetiton!

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 06:45:34 AM »
tw and co are all talking deledio down, bling also, keeping a lid on things so to speak. but behind closed doors i bet they are all wetting their lips and salivating with expectations that these boys wont get injured and strut their stuff. it will be impossible to tag lids all day , as judd, they are too fast. i have yet to see a tagger with their pace. how do u break their tag, dont play them inside, give them a wing, flank etc to roam and use their pace  to break a tag

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 11:27:45 AM »
The other thing with tagging is you can't tag everyone. Best example is Braun at West Coast, by the time you get through tagging Judd, Kerr and Cousins you run out of players. Braun picks up possession because he is freed up. So if the opposition want to tag Lids they will need their best tagger which will free up Cogs and Tuck or they will have a lesser skilled tagger. All good

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 11:40:39 AM »
Not expecting anything from him that he’s not capable of, if he at least maintains his attitude from last season.

Second year blues is something that happens to players who are complacent and get comfortable with what they’ve already done and achieved.

Lids doesn’t resemble anything like that.  He may well get more attention from the opposition, which may mean his influence won’t be like what some expect, but as long as he’s prepared to learn how to handle that and plays to his strengths then his ability will show through.  And even if it doesn’t look as though he’s improved any after this season, the experience he will gain over the next few years will make him an even better player down the track.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2006, 12:05:52 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
How Good Can Deledio Get?
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 04:51:01 PM »
How Good Can Deledio Get?
Herald-Sun Footy Liftout
Scott Gullan
24th March 2006

If you start backing him for the Brownlow Medal at the start of the next three seasons you will make money. He is on the Chris Judd form line when it comes to the game's highest honour - brilliant debut season followed by an improved second year and then a blockbuster third and Charlie around his neck. Deledio is the complete package with scintillating pace, great skills, work ethic, and a air of arrogance that goes with being one of the game's best.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 08:58:16 AM »
Lids = superstar :pray

Moi

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 12:08:55 PM »
I reckon he's a class act and won't do a Stephen Ryan by having a fantastic debut and then going into obscurity.
He has class in everything he does written all over him.  Go Lids  :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 07:09:31 PM »
I reckon he's a class act and won't do a Stephen Ryan by having a fantastic debut and then going into obscurity.

Stephen who lol

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 03:22:15 PM »
Was last night just a one off or does anyone else think Lids' foot skills has dipped slightly this year?

I still think he's been very good in his 2nd year even though he struggled with tags against Welsh last night and Selwood in the Eagles game. I wonder if he's still coping with being heavier in the body.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 10:53:13 AM »
Not sure if any of that is a pointer to something else or how to read things really.  Does he seem settled anywhere, or get moved around a lot?

I might be on the wrong track here, but maybe having a set spot to play in for a while might make a difference to him and allow him to settle in to a role, rather than being a bit of an everywhere, spare parts man, like he seems to be.

Rainesy really seems to have benefited from having a set role, week after week, and just being able to focus on that.  Is Lids that settled anywhere and would it make a difference if he was?

Not sure if it’s just the game style, but apart from his pace, has his football ability really been seen or used to full value?

No big deal.  Just wondering, more than anything else.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 12:59:56 PM »
I don't think his skills have dipped I think it may have something to do with that little thing called confidence

I also it is reckon part of this the learning curve called being tagged.

On Saturday night he was tagged heavlily by the Bombers and I just think he is struggling with that a bit
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 01:20:57 PM »
Was tagged against Brisbane too so it just shows that opposition teams are starting to pinpoint him as a real dangerman. I am sure the reemergence of Browny, whenever that may be, will go a long way to easing this.

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 09:52:38 PM »
Not sure if any of that is a pointer to something else or how to read things really.  Does he seem settled anywhere, or get moved around a lot?
I might be on the wrong track here, but maybe having a set spot to play in for a while might make a difference to him and allow him to settle in to a role, rather than being a bit of an everywhere, spare parts man, like he seems to be.

I totally agree, but the problem is that he is so good, we've needed to move him around out of necessity. If he needs to settle in a position, I'd say a wing/half fwd flank role, whereas others would want him on the ball. I think that he is capable of kicking bags, he can hurt more that way. Organise space for him on the flank, he will shake off taggers with pace and strong leads, and while I am wishing away here, preferably on the outer flank at the punt road end thanks  ;D

Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 05:18:02 PM »
I don't think his skills have dipped I think it may have something to do with that little thing called confidence

I also it is reckon part of this the learning curve called being tagged.

On Saturday night he was tagged heavlily by the Bombers and I just think he is struggling with that a bit

You probably right there WP. Terry pushing him forward could be a way of helping Lids brake the tags. If he had kicked straight and got those two goals it would have worked too. I'm probably also expecting every kick of his to hit the mark.