Author Topic: Alex Rance is a superstar but Dustin Martin is not one yet: Cornes  (Read 1030 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Who are the AFL's current superstars?

By Kane Cornes
SEN
9 March 2108

A Superstar is defined as person, as a performer or athlete, who enjoys wide recognition, is esteemed for exceptional talent, and is eagerly sought after for his or her services.

It’s a term that is grossly overused in our game as highlighted by a caller to this very program yesterday morning.

How many Superstars are there, right now in our game?

Well in my mind there are only FOUR.

Garry Ablett Junior is the best player we have seen in this millennium. Two flags, two Brownlow’s, six best and fairest, eight All Australians and a walk in AFL legend when eligible.

Lance Franklin- 860 goals for the man better known as Buddy, two premierships, seven all Australians, four Coleman medals, countless number 23 Guernsey sales and the best highlights reel in the game.

Patrick Dangerfield- 200 games, five All Australians, three best and fairests, a Brownlow and many games won off his own boot. Wouldn’t a premiership look lovely alongside this already frightening resume.

Finally, coming in at number four is Alex Rance. The best defender the game has seen since Geelong great Matthew Scarlett. Four All Australians (one as captain), a best and fairest and a starring role in last years premiership has him firmly in the superstar category.

And yes leaving Dustin Martin is not an oversight. Undisputedly the best player in the game in 2017, he needs to maintain a standard of excellence for a few more years yet to elevate himself again. With one flag, a Norm Smith, a Brownlow and two All Australians next to his name he is certainly on the right track!

Superstar a word we use too much but how many do you have?

Can you make a case for the veterans in Hodge, Selwood, Pendlebury, Betts, Kennedy or Robbie Gray at Port Adelaide.

Does Fremantle skipper Nat Fyfe get a gig?

Or how about the youngsters coming through in Bontempelli, Josh Kelly, Joe Daniher, Jesse Hogan or Ben Brown.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/03/08/who-are-the-afls-current-superstars/

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Re: Alex Rance is a superstar but Dustin Martin is not one yet: Cornes
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »
Cornes does the SEN 900 times lot these days, just noticed the other day when I switched on in the car.
Needless to say switched off and will not listen again :wallywink

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 12:47:29 PM »
If he was honest, which he isn't, by his own reckoning, Dangerfield shouldn't have made his list either.

Cornes is just a little small man trying to be relevent in a world where lieing, creating controvesy, setting people or organizations against each other and creating general mayhem through flat out lieing an innuendo are par for the course, all of that can be summarized in two words "Media Commentator"
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 12:59:23 PM »
Cornes is a shoe in for my top 4 biggest tools

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 02:39:57 PM »
If he was honest, which he isn't, by his own reckoning, Dangerfield shouldn't have made his list either.

This is correct.  Danger has extra AAs and one extra B&F but surely a premiership and a Norm Smith make up for this. 

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 03:54:26 PM »
Cornes loves trolling the tigers .
Unleash the tornado

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 06:53:09 PM »
Cornes does the SEN 900 times lot these days, just noticed the other day when I switched on in the car.

Does the shift every Friday

But currently doing the shift everyday while Whateley is in South Africa for the cricket
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 08:40:52 PM »

Does the shift every Friday

But currently doing the shift everyday while Whateley is in South Africa for the cricket
Ok that explains it, very surprised to say the least

Offline ¾ T!geɹ

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 10:49:55 PM »
Who are the AFL's current superstars?

By Kane Cornes
SEN
9 March 2108

And yes leaving Dustin Martin is not an oversight. Undisputedly the best player in the game in 2017, he needs to maintain a standard of excellence for a few more years yet to elevate himself again. With one flag, a Norm Smith, a Brownlow and two All Australians next to his name he is certainly on the right track!

One thing he left out, no man has every won those three little mementos IN THE ONE YEAR ya moron, acclaimed to have had the greatest year a player has ever had. If this doesn't rate as high as any of the super stars in history then nothing will. SUPER :wallywink

The third quarter, the premiership quarter, it's Dusty time. He starts to shine and then delivers in the most AWESOME fashion.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 10:54:12 PM »
who cares ??
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 11:08:17 AM »
A Superstar is defined as person, as a performer or athlete, who:

enjoys wide recognition: Regarded by many as the best player in the game ATM. For those people who disagree he is either in the discussion or they are deluded.

is esteemed for exceptional talent: Corny boy listed his achievements but neglected to count his two Jack Dyer medals and the fact he too has won many games off his own boot (something he included for Dangerfield). Left out the fact he has arguably had the best individual season ever and has the record number of Brownlow votes to go with it.

is eagerly sought after for his or her services: Just look at the contract saga last year for reference. Not enough evidence? Look at the one multiple years ago or ask each team if they'd like to have Dustin play for them.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 03:19:51 PM »
Kane Cornes wouldn’t know a superstar if it hit him in the head

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 01:42:06 AM »
Kane Cornes wouldn’t know a superstar if it hit him in the head

Every time I see Kane's face I figure he has been hit in the head quite a few times.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 08:31:52 AM »
Cornes needs ratings points to keep his job and full fill his performance based wage contract.

How best to do that?

Say anything that will get the passionate Richmind supporters up in arms.

So best way to deal with him is to turn the station off when he is on and not respond in any way to his comments.