Author Topic: Genius of Alex Rance and why no forward has been able to stop him (H-Sun)  (Read 895 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Matthew Lloyd looks at the genius of Alex Rance and why no forward has been able to stop him

Matthew Lloyd,
Herald Sun
March 17, 2018

LINING up players across generations — what a fascinating but maddening endeavour.

If only the greats could be taken back in time, or moved forward to a different era.

Would Tony Lockett have prospered now, when forwards are asked to push high up the ground to defend and then work back into space to attack?

It’s a fair question, considering Plugger’s size and the way he played, but he would have adapted. That is what champions do.

How would the game’s premier defender — Richmond’s Alex Rance — have gone in times past?

Sadly, the days of Paul Vander Haar and Peter Knights fighting out a one-on-one aerial battle for four quarters are over. The modern game of rotations and congestion just doesn’t allow for it.

The 1980s and 1990s eras were the best and most enjoyable to watch, a far cry from today’s often robotic game.

How good would it have been to have seen modern-day great Rance playing in the era of Lockett, Jason Dunstall and Gary Ablett Sr?

Imagine turning up to the MCG to watch Ablett Sr and Rance in countless one-on-one battles. Ablett’s speed off the mark and one-on-one strength — plus his ability to sit on heads and do just about anything — opposed to the cat-like Rance, who reads the flight of the ball better than anyone to intercept mark or spoil.

Rance messes with his man’s mind with his closing speed and does not allow his opponents to run and jump at the ball, as Joe Daniher and Ben Brown found out during the JLT Community series.

He also is elite once the ball hits the ground.

Just how many goals would Ablett kick? Or would Rance hold his own, or even better, beat Ablett?

That is the only way to truly compare Rance to his rival as best defender of all time, Carlton’s Stephen Silvagni — but we will never know as the two eras are like chalk and cheese.

I think Rance would have thrived playing on Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett, Tony Modra, Stephen Kernahan, Peter Sumich and Sav Rocca week after week, much in the way that Dustin Fletcher did.

I rank Fletcher extremely highly when talking all-time great backmen — because of who he was up against at such a young age.

Rance was the best player on the ground to halftime of last year’s Grand Final. What cost him the Norm Smith Medal was the lack of ball that entered the Tigers’ defensive 50m in the second half.

Rance played on Andy Otten for 62 minutes and conceded three disposals; Josh Jenkins for 39 minutes and conceded two touches; and Adelaide captain Taylor Walker for 15 minutes for a single disposal conceded.

All up, in 116 minutes Rance conceded no goals and six disposals while taking five intercept marks and not losing any of the 11 one-on-one contests in which he was involved.

It was a huge surprise when Geelong’s Harry Taylor got the better of him in Round 21 last year. Taylor kicked four goals — the only game in 2017 in which Rance had more than two goals kicked on him.

In that game, Taylor kept Rance deep and the Cats got the ball in long and to Taylor’s favoured side. He worked Rance under the ball to great effect to be the matchwinner.

The Cats also kept the Richmond defenders isolated from each other through quick ball movement.

Rance can no longer be played the conventional way by forwards. Forwards have always been taught to play in front and go on long, hard, searching leads up at the ball.

Rance loves that because it suits his strengths — most notably his speed — so forwards have to think outside the square to conquer the master.

Defensive forwards don’t work on him, either, as Rance will keep going at the ball like he is the forward if he isn’t threatened by his opponent.

Otten found that out on Grand Final day.

Daniher and Brown played the conventional way and the only way they know how in the JLT series and were soundly beaten.

Forwards have to get in behind Rance initially to change his starting point, because he is very comfortable playing from behind.

So much depends on the ball movement further afield, but Taylor was able to get his forearm under Rance’s right armpit and work him under the ball.

Forwards also have to make repeat leads and lateral leads, as you cannot get into a foot race with Rance on long, straight runs.

I saw a young Jesse Hogan in his first season do this, keeping Rance occupied with short and explosive leading patterns out of the goal square.

Rance has it psychologically over just about every forward and must remain injury-free if Richmond is to go back to back.

The only player to kick five goals on Rance in the past two years has been Lance Franklin — twice, in 2016.

I’ve put June 28 in the diary — Rance v Buddy. Let’s hope it happens, for old time’s sake.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/matthew-lloyd-looks-at-the-genius-of-alex-rance-and-why-no-forward-has-been-able-to-stop-him/news-story/0d81ed171ee2b6632d83236a0605ffea

Offline ¾ T!geɹ

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Lloyd finally says something with a lot of intelligence  :thumbsup :clapping
The third quarter, the premiership quarter, it's Dusty time. He starts to shine and then delivers in the most AWESOME fashion.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
The Count :lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Surely someone else wrote the article for this village stuffwit

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
except rance has franklin's measure most of the time. 2016 was an aberration. first time round IIRC Franklin got some soft frees and was gifted a couple of goals. 2nd time round the team gave up and the ball came in so many times he couldn't contain it all. a bit like the monstering we got from GWS.

Taylor got the better of Rance that one time and it was a fluke. As the qualifying final showed, Scott was stupid enough to play Taylor on Rance again and Rance towelled him badly

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
He is our champion. We are very lucky to have Rance and Dusty in the same team, not forgetting our other champions, but IMVHO, these 2 are once in a lifetime players.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
except rance has franklin's measure most of the time. 2016 was an aberration. first time round IIRC Franklin got some soft frees and was gifted a couple of goals. 2nd time round the team gave up and the ball came in so many times he couldn't contain it all. a bit like the monstering we got from GWS.

Taylor got the better of Rance that one time and it was a fluke. As the qualifying final showed, Scott was stupid enough to play Taylor on Rance again and Rance towelled him badly

Dance has had Buddy's measure since he went to fullback.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
since he knocked his chopper out lol
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
I think G Ablett Jnr in his prime would have kicked goals on Rance in that era. 
Would be a hell of a battle though. 

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
He is our champion. We are very lucky to have Rance and Dusty in the same team, not forgetting our other champions, but IMVHO, these 2 are once in a lifetime players.

And its why last years flag was so important, most teams dont have the likes of a rance, martin, cotchin and riewoldt all paying together, last years flag was vindication of the talent we have at our disposal. at least its all worth the energy and commitment expended by all.