Author Topic: Why can't Anthony Miles get a game? (afl site)  (Read 2904 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Why can't Anthony Miles get a game? (afl site)
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 07:58:03 PM »
I was suprised he stayed.  I thought a Brisbane or GC or Carlton would have given him games. Even Hawthorn would have but he must like the club.

I think he was convinced he'd get a fair go this year. Probably from Balme.
As can be seen so far, he's seen by Hardwick as behind Conca, CEllis, Lloyd, Higgins and Bolton.
Unless Hardwick does a(nother) total change in his thinking there is no way Miles gets a(nother) game with Richmond.
Feel so sorry for the kid. AFL careers are short and he's wasted the last two under Hardwick.
Hang on. Miles was going the way of being delisted by GWS. We actually gave him a second chance so nothing we have done has been wasted for him. He has been on much bigger coin than the NEAFL would have provided for him.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 08:08:47 PM »
I was suprised he stayed.  I thought a Brisbane or GC or Carlton would have given him games. Even Hawthorn would have but he must like the club.

I think he was convinced he'd get a fair go this year. Probably from Balme.
As can be seen so far, he's seen by Hardwick as behind Conca, CEllis, Lloyd, Higgins and Bolton.
Unless Hardwick does a(nother) total change in his thinking there is no way Miles gets a(nother) game with Richmond.
Feel so sorry for the kid. AFL careers are short and he's wasted the last two under Hardwick.

Who do you think picks the team each week? Reason I ask is because Hardwick (Premiership Coach) is one of many who make up the selection committee, so you can add: Balme, Leppa, Blake, Truck and Livingston as others who don't see Miles as the right fit ATM. Back them in as they haven't done much wrong lately!!

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 08:42:07 PM »
Who do you think picks the team each week? Reason I ask is because Hardwick (Premiership Coach) is one of many who make up the selection committee, so you can add: Balme, Leppa, Blake, Truck and Livingston as others who don't see Miles as the right fit ATM. Back them in as they haven't done much wrong lately!!
I appreciate what you're saying but I think the head coach has the final say.
In fact I would think only Blake would have any real say as the midfield coach.
Balme wouldn't interfere directly. Leppa wouldn't as forwards coach. Truck wouldn't as backs coach. Livingstone wouldn't as Head of Coaching.
MCrae would only offer suggestions if asked about options.
This is what he said after the first round.
The VFL Report: Round 1

Richmond’s VFL coach Craig McRae provides a summary of how the Tigers’ players performed in last Saturday’s opening round win against Port Melbourne at the Swinburne Centre’s Punt Road Oval.

Anthony Miles (34 disposals, 18 contested possessions, 12 clearances, six inside-50s, eight handball- receives, five tackles, two goals)

“Was a stand-out performer. Dominated around the clearances and hit the scoreboard as well,  finishing the game with two goals. Is a star at this level.”
The proviso that I underlined seems to me to show that MCrae knows Miles is not considered good enough for seniors.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 08:44:38 PM »
They also thought Elton could play even though he struggled terribly in the vfl to even do the basics (like mark a footy)  :lol

How many weeks did it take until they realised he wasn’t the answer?  :shh
The club that keeps giving.

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2018, 04:14:12 PM »
Just a guess, but I think Miles non-selection might be because his role is to understudy Cotchin.  So if Cotch gets injured, Miles will come in to play his role to the best of his ability. Lloyd is Caddy's replacement, Broad/Vlastuin etc etc. Hawthorn used to operate under this kind of strict role-playing regime, and while it seems pretty rigid, it does seem to work. Everyone knows their role.

Having said that, its frustrating for all when he is performing at VFL level and is continually overlooked.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2018, 08:47:14 PM »
They also thought Elton could play even though he struggled terribly in the vfl to even do the basics (like mark a footy)  :lol

How many weeks did it take until they realised he wasn’t the answer?  :shh

he was here 7 years for maybe 12 games of afl footy

what a life
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"