Author Topic: Has Dusty surpassed Richo as the greatest modern day Tiger ???  (Read 988 times)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I think so . Richo was special but definitely a flawed genius - shocking body language at times , berating team mates . Questionable accuracy in front of goal .

Dusty in his prime is just a genius . Has performed on the biggest stage . Its basically like having superman play for you .

Thoughts ??

Unleash the tornado

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Has Dusty surpassed Richo as the greatest modern day Tiger ???
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 01:44:27 PM »
Dusty still has a long way to go to get to 800 goals

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 03:04:40 PM »

Thats true but Dusty has a Premiership Medallion, a Norm Smith Medal, A Brownlow Medal, some RFC Best & Fairests. I think
playing wise he has it over Matthew. So for me yes, he has surpassed Richo as the greatest Modern Tiger at least on the field.
How Dusty is perceived in terms of his contribution off the field is another question.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 03:21:41 PM »
Full forward versus midfielder come forward.

Not a good way of comparing the two.

I can easily say Brownlow medalist (with a record number of votes), Norm Smith medalist and premiership player. Richo never got any of these things either.

IMHO Dusty still has a little way to go as Richo carried a crap team on his shoulders for many years. Dusty just has to do it for a little longer.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline ¾ T!geɹ

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 04:58:40 PM »
A little hard to compare the two as Richo played in a time where there were only a few good players around him and the administration was in a diabolical need of a clean out. This was also a time when forwards stayed more forward than a forward of today's footy. His dummy spits were well warranted as the feed from the onballers was generally not real flash, so being able to turn a game around was never a reality for him to do regularly. He drove me insane kicking for goal, to the point where I would look away until I heard an awful silence or an erupting cheer indicating whether he got a goal or not. But I tell ya, he was amazing to watch, and when given the opportunity, had the ability to turn a game, when he went up the field to CHF.
Dusty on the other hand is surrounded by the strong belief of a great admin, great coaches and fantastic players. Dusty is truly amazing to watch as well but has more on his side to make him look even better.
For mine, Richo demanded attention and had the prowess to force others around him to play a better brand of footy and Dusty is similar in that respect.
Right NOW, Richo is in his own realm of awesome and Dusty in his, but if I had to pick the better player, I would have to go for Richo. Although I do believe that Dusty will surpass that in the near future, but it will take a monumental effort from him to do that.
The third quarter, the premiership quarter, it's Dusty time. He starts to shine and then delivers in the most AWESOME fashion.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 06:23:01 PM »
Richo kept our heads above water but could also drag us down....Martin elevates us.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 08:28:35 PM »
Seriously it's not even close to a contest, Martin wins easily. Ask yourself this as a serious question, if you had to right now decide which one of these players you wanted in your team right now, who would it be?, you can't have both. Sanity says Martin without question.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 10:26:13 PM »
Different strokes for different folks. You would have to go with Martin, but they played in different positions and comparisons across positions and different times are virtually impossible. For every for there is an against that can be raised in the dicussion.

It really depends on how you define our greatest modern Tiger. For me, Richo for Richmond is like what Jack Dyer was for so many years. Legendary. And the thing with legends is that that is exactly what they are, a popular belief that isn't always authenticated. That is, the evidence doesn't always support the legend.

Richo was a great player in what were often diabolically poor teams, and it is hard to know what he might have achieved with better support around him. I do believe he never reached his potential with us, because he was always played as a key forward until very late in his career. It was like Richmond's first and foremost priority was finding another Royce Hart, and Richo was going to be it come hell or high water.

I don't think Dusty will reach those Richo/Dyer legendary levels at Richmond in the same way that so many of our other champions haven't, but I think we have already seen enough authentification through the honours he has won to know that he is a very special player. I think in time, on his current trajectory, Martin's name will be mentioned in any discussion of the best Tigers player ever. Richo probably wouldn't be in my top 10, much as I love him.

FWIW, my grandfather, a Tigers man for virtually his whole life (he was born in Richmond and attended his first game in the late 1920's), always told me that as good as Bartlett, Hart, Dyer etc. were, the best Tigers player he ever saw was Roy Wright by a fair margin. In his opinion, he has only seen one other player with the ability to so comprehensively dominate a game as Roy Wright could, and that player was Laurie Nash of South Melbourne. He considered Nash to be the greatest footballer of all time. 

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 12:05:24 AM »
Richo in this team would be pretty unstoppable too. Imagine all the free kicks he’d get for getting his arms chopped at every contest.

Arguably the best mark we’ve ever seen too. The difference with his kicking for goal wouldn’t be as bad because he’d be under less pressure to kick it. Back in the day it was all up to him and him alone to kick the goals, sometimes he didn’t cope well with that pressure. In this team their would be less pressure to kick the goal.

I’d say that if Richo was playing now he’d be better than buddy no doubt about it. And with the supply he’d be receiving he’d be winning the Coleman medal.

If he was playing on a wing he’d might even win the Brownlow medal too.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline ¾ T!geɹ

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 12:13:19 AM »
Richo in this team would be pretty unstoppable too. Imagine all the free kicks he’d get for getting his arms chopped at every contest.

Arguably the best mark we’ve ever seen too. The difference with his kicking for goal wouldn’t be as bad because he’d be under less pressure to kick it. Back in the day it was all up to him and him alone to kick the goals, sometimes he didn’t cope well with that pressure. In this team their would be less pressure to kick the goal.

I’d say that if Richo was playing now he’d be better than buddy no doubt about it. And with the supply he’d be receiving he’d be winning the Coleman medal.

My sentiments exactly  :clapping
I doubt that he would stray far from the goal square as well :lol
The third quarter, the premiership quarter, it's Dusty time. He starts to shine and then delivers in the most AWESOME fashion.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 12:22:38 AM »

Richo on the wing was pretty much the prototype of the key forward covering large amounts of ground. I remember a few games where Matthew knights tried to emulate it by putting Lloyd on the wing and he struggled big time.

If Richo got the same supply that Franklin got he would win the Coleman every year