Author Topic: A flag is a flag, no matter what the circumstance: Rohan Connolly (SEN)  (Read 616 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
A flag is a flag, no matter what the circumstance: Rohan Connolly

By Rohan Connolly
SEN
17 April 2018

I think luck plays a bigger part in AFL football than it used to. Certainly in helping determine each year’s premier.

That’s the consequence of a couple of factors. With 18 teams, the talent is stretched a little thinner than it used to be. Plus, we have a competition as close as we’ve ever had.

Things have to go right at the right time to win a flag.

They did on the timing front for the Western Bulldogs a couple of years ago when the pre-finals bye enabled them to regain Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore, Easton Wood and Jordan Roughead in time for an Elimination Final in Perth.

Last year, for Richmond, it was about durability. The Tigers’ four best players – Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin, Alex Rance and Jack Riewoldt – played 98 of a possible 100 games between them.

Does having luck make a premiership side any less worthy than its predecessors? I don’t consider the Tigers of 2017 any less a premiership team than Essendon of 2000, which lost only one game in 25.

But it seems fans of flag teams these days spent an awful lot of time after the triumph still justifying their side’s credentials, like they feel they still have something to prove.

I don’t think the best teams now are as good as the best teams of a decade ago. Geelong in 2008 couldn’t beat Hawthorn on Grand Final day, but I reckon that bunch of Cats would have been too good for any of the Hawks’ three-peat sides of 2013-15.

Does it matter? A flag’s a flag, whenever it was won. And these days, you need luck on your side as well as talent. It’s just a price we pay for football equalisation.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/04/16/a-flag-is-a-flag-no-matter-what-the-circumstance-connolly/

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
My god we have created the biggest melt in the history of the AFL LMAO suck a fat one everyone.

Every single Premier throughout history would fall into this basket.
Hitting form at the right time availability of players or the timing and return of players from injury or suspension, who you play when you play and how their form and luck is going.
But only now its an issue - They can all go stuff themselves

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
My god we have created the biggest melt in the history of the AFL LMAO suck a fat one everyone.

Every single Premier throughout history would fall into this basket.
Hitting form at the right time availability of players or the timing and return of players from injury or suspension, who you play when you play and how their form and luck is going.
But only now its an issue - They can all go stuff themselves
:clapping
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Gees it must have hurt for Roh Roh to admit that the Richmond 2017 team are the same quality as the 2000 'Gods On Earth' Essendon side!  *ouch!     :lol
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
This is why going back to back this year will be even more delicious.
Unleash the tornado

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
This is why going back to back this year will be even more delicious.
But we still won't be any good, just lucky...phhhffft

dwaino

Can't wait to be the worst back to back team ever.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Rather be the worst ever premiers than the best ever runners-up.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.