Author Topic: Hardwick's post-match media conference / Marvels at mature Tigers leaders  (Read 379 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma just had his post-match presser:

* Tough old game. Arm wrestle for most of it. High pressure and high contest. On the ropes in the 1st and 3rd but our backs stood up. Grinded away and got the game on our terms towards the end.

* Would love one week where he doesn't have selections headaches. All the guys that came in had good games. Higgins kicked 3; Broad came in as though he didn't miss a beat; Lloyd impresses Dimma more every time he plays.

* Cotch - Not big possessions but had 96 pressure points and 8-9 tackles. Prestia similar. When it's not your night they keep pressuring and contributing. Rance was great too. Lucky to have these guys playing for him.

* Emergence of Lambert last year and Conca and Short this year. We're not dependent on a few. Shows the development and maturity of the footy club.

* Townsend - sometimes can be too unselfish and trying too hard. Didn't have his best night but when called to in the last quarter he contributed.

* Next 4 days will be pretty much recovery. We'll have a kick and catch on Friday. The guys are so professional these days. We'll be ready.

* Believes Caddy and Vlastuin will be available. Obviously, Graham is too after his suspension.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:41:32 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Hardwick's post-match media conference
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 10:59:47 PM »
Thanks for your effort Dimma

Good to see Goodwin in the Coaches box looking like a tree stump

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2018-04-24/round-5-hardwick-postmatch

----------------------------------------------------------

Hardwick marvels at mature Tigers leaders

Ashley Browne
afl.com.au
Apr 24, 2018 11:43PM

LATE Tuesday night, Damien Hardwick wore the contented look of a coach who didn't even need to flick the switch at any stage during the game against Melbourne.

His senior players did it for him.

The Demons came hard at his Tigers in the opening term of the Anzac Day Eve blockbuster at the MCG and again in the third term, but with Hardwick little more than a highly-engaged spectator up in the coaches box, the on-field adjustments were made, the nature of the game changed and the Tigers careered away to a 46-point win that leaves them 4-1 and on top of the ladder for the first time during the home and away season since 1995.

The Tigers just figure it out.

“We give them some parameters to play with,” Hardwick said, pointing to the example set by skipper Trent Cotchin who, according to the stats sheet, was quiet with just 15 disposals. 

“But he had 96 pressure points and eight or nine tackles (actually seven) and that’s the great thing about how mature our side has become.

“They know it’s not their day, but they find other roles to play really well. Dion was the same. Didn't have the offensive output but high-pressure points and high tackles.

The praise for the senior players continued.

Of spearhead Jack Riewoldt, he said, “I can’t speak highly enough the way he fights bigger blokes, two blokes, three blokes …he’s such a great leader for our football club.

“And then you have the full back of the century, Alex (Rance). You marvel at what he can do, win the ball and start our offense from there.

“I’m very lucky to have those blokes playing for me.”

It is the non-match related stuff that will cause Hardwick more stress in the next few days.

Selection for the Collingwood game shapes as a nightmare, given that his three ‘ins’ all performed well against Melbourne.

Second-game livewire small forward Jack Higgins led the Tigers with three goals, Nathan Broad fitted seamlessly back into defence and Sam Lloyd kicked two goals and was dangerous near goals all night.

Jack Graham will be available after suspension while Josh Caddy and Nick Vlastuin are also good chances to return from injury.

“I wish I could have one night where I didn't have to worry about it,” he joked about team selection.

“We have some tough decisions to make for the Collingwood game, but we’re in a great position and I’d rather have that than no troops on the horizon.”

The Tigers have less than five days to prepare for the Sunday afternoon MCG clash with the Pies.

Hardwick said the focus will be almost entirely on recovery and that the only likely training session will be a light “kick and catch” on Saturday.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-04-24/hardwick-marvels-at-mature-tigers-leaders