Author Topic: Interesting View on Coaching and Loyalty to players ....  (Read 3488 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Interesting View on Coaching and Loyalty to players ....
« on: June 15, 2004, 08:44:55 AM »
This is from yesterday's H/Sun by Trevor Grant.

It raises some interesting points and touches on something that I have believed for a long time.... and I am not talking about Danny's press conferences.
=====================

Frawley keeps faith in tatty Tigers
14 June 2004   Herald Sun
Trevor Grant
IT'S groundhog day at Richmond. Another capitulation. Another press conference. Another swag of heartfelt promises.
Let us roll the tape and listen to Danny Frawley as he explains to the world how he'll respond to yet another pitiful defeat.

"I still believe our group is good enough to win games of football.

"We've just got to make sure we look at why we got beaten and make sure we learn from it.

"We've just got to make sure we get the spirits up.

"We've just got to take this on the chin.

"There's been a thousand distractions. It doesn't worry us.

"The buck stops with me."

About the only cliches Frawley left aside this time were that his players were going to put their hands up, step up to the plate and be cherry ripe for the next game against Carlton.

But he did say that there was plenty upon which to hang your Richmond beanie, such as the first two quarters. "Our first half was probably the best footy we've played for a number of weeks. We've just got to look at that and use it as a positive, keep coaching the positives," he said.

You can look at this reaction to a performance which set new lows, even for Richmond, in two ways.

With senior officials having made a conscious decision to try to do the impossible and counter the belief the club is about to implode, Frawley has decided to defend his men, no matter what.

Or Frawley is a man trapped in a cycle of decline so severe that he's gone giddy and lost all sense of perspective.

The mythology of coaching tells us that the man who sits behind the glass yelling down the phone has all the answers.

The reality of coaching is that he doesn't, no matter who he might be. Never has, in fact.

It is clear that Frawley has no meaningful answers that will impact on a group of players, many of whom love the trappings of AFL football but aren't all that willing to meet their end of the bargain.

Frawley has always been a players' man. His modus operandi in times of stress is to bunker down and man the barriers with the troops.

Just listen to him. Every time it's the same: "I'll look at tape . . . we'll get out on the track and get our hands dirty . . . we'll get the confidence up for next week . . . don't worry, we'll be right."

It's a noble premise but the whole world knows that in the end all he's doing is trying to defend the indefensible.

Attacking your players in public is often self-defeating for a coach, and Frawley, and his advisers within the club, obviously believe there is nothing to gain from it.

But there comes a time when a team boss has to stop dancing around fragile egos, if for no other reason than to let the world know that the club is not as weak and submissive as some of its players.

Otherwise he can too easily create an impression he is so overwhelmed by mediocrity that he, too, has learned to tolerate it.

However, Frawley made his intentions clear last night.

"We've just got to pull them through and get them playing with a lot of confidence," he said.

He then went on to try to explain why a team that had led by 39 points collectively drops it head when it is loses the lead halfway through the last quarter and appears to accept its fate.

Frawley said that they were affected by the fact they got so little out of expending so much energy in the first half of the last quarter.

"You've also got to know that when you don't get reward for effort you are going to stop turning up," he said.

He may not have meant it to sound this way but you could easily interpret this as saying this side gives up when things don't go its way.

Surely, there could be no greater condemnation.

And an objective observer might say it's a fair summary of Richmond's performance yesterday

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,9834714%255E19771,00.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Interesting View on Coaching and Loyalty to players ....
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 08:58:25 AM »
So below are the things I found interesting and forget about personal feeling towards Danny. I have said a couple of times that Danny should stop being loyal to his players. Trevor Grant  gives some of the reason why he should stop IMO

-----------------------------

With senior officials having made a conscious decision to try to do the impossible and counter the belief the club is about to implode, Frawley has decided to defend his men, no matter what.

Why bother - I don't think anyone wants to hear anymore defending of the usual suspects!

The mythology of coaching tells us that the man who sits behind the glass yelling down the phone has all the answers.

The reality of coaching is that he doesn't, no matter who he might be. Never has, in fact.

It is clear that Frawley has no meaningful answers that will impact on a group of players, many of whom love the trappings of AFL football but aren't all that willing to meet their end of the bargain.

And there in lies part of the problem - and I sometimes wonder if it would make any difference who was coaching us - some of our players don't appear to give tow hoots

It's a noble premise but the whole world knows that in the end all he's doing is trying to defend the indefensible.

But there comes a time when a team boss has to stop dancing around fragile egos, if for no other reason than to let the world know that the club is not as weak and submissive as some of its players.

That is why I know I would be much happier if we stopped "tip toeing around the tulips" and gave alot of our players the bake that they clearly deserve. Let's show some strength and make a few people realise that we are not going to be as weak as we appear to have become.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 09:07:48 AM by WilliamPowell »

Ox

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 12:51:20 PM »
and I sometimes wonder if it would make any difference who was coaching us - some of our players don't appear to give tow hoots

Well,I think it wll MAKE  huge difference who's coaching us,

Spud is somhow shifting the majority of the blame onto the players and not taking resposibility for his role in
hacking them and their confidence to death.

He's so full of schit it makes me cringe.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 01:04:28 PM »
Spud is somhow shifting the majority of the blame onto the players and not taking resposibility for his role in
hacking them and their confidence to death.

On the contrary Ox - he never bags the players - I am just suggesting that maybe he should. Has he ever said, for example, "argh that effort in trying to mark from Blumfield in the last quarter was insipid"? Or "Mark Chaffey's clangers are killing us" Nope he doesn't - he just defends and then defends them some more. It is about time he stopped - some of them do not deserve it.

He actually said at his press conference "the buck stops with me" and I agree it does but some of these over paid "players" and I use that term very loosely need a kick up the backside and need to face the music for their performances. He never lets them. All I am suggesting is that he should because I know I would because nothing else seems to work.

Danny's biggest fault (and we all agree he has many) IMO has been the blind loyalty and faith he gives and shows to some of these players who clearly don't deserve it - it enables the players to avoid the responsibility of their efforts.

Ultimately, it will be one the things that will cost him his job

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 01:20:42 PM »
Danny's biggest fault (and we all agree he has many) IMO has been the blind loyalty and faith he gives and shows to some of these players who clearly don't deserve it - it enables the players to avoid the responsibility of their efforts.

Ultimately, it will be one the things that will cost him his job

What will cost him his job is that he has learned nothing in the time he has been senior coach.  And if he has he certainly doesn’t seem to have put any of it into practice.  He doesn’t go outside of what he already knows and how he knows to go about things.  Might work at some levels, but not at this level and right now we are a million miles away from the Brisbanes of this competition and getting further behind.

You have to make allowances for any new coach, but when you see nothing change over the amount of time afforded them then the writing is well and truly on the wall.  And if you could see some glimmer of hope that change was taking place you could be a little more tolerant, but I have seen nothing.

There are no excuses left.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 01:31:40 PM »
What will cost him his job is that he has learned nothing in the time he has been senior coach.  And if he has he certainly doesn’t seem to have put any of it into practice.  He doesn’t go outside of what he already knows and how he knows to go about things.  Might work at some levels, but not at this level and right now we are a million miles away from the Brisbanes of this competition and getting further behind.

In part TS that's exactly what I am saying - the fact that he has blindly supported his players no matter what is just another example of nothing being learnt in the last 5 years. There are so many things that haven't been learnt or at the very least taken on board and it is these things all coupled together that will result in costing him his job.

Ox

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 01:56:50 PM »
I hear you WP.

Point is that it's taken him 5 years to admit the buck stops with him.
I liken the admission to a husband who has abused his wife both mentally and physically for five years,and only after
she needed re-constructive plastic surgery and counselling,does he say,"I spose i did hit her"

It's obvious the damage is done and that the list has no confidence in a dead man walking.

He was there when negotiations for Gaspar went to the table and is responsible for King,Sziller,Hudson,Nichols etc
so his contribtion to the dung heap is major.

All the clangers,especially the ones from the non-usual suspects,are triggered by a total loss of confidence in
the coach and coaching panel.
I believe the boys have reached their wits end and just cant get up for spud anymore as even they are
sick of his empty cliched promises.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 02:02:40 PM by Ox »