Author Topic: Nat Fyfe and Dustin Martin set to face off (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1332 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nat Fyfe and Dustin Martin set to face off (Herald-Sun)
« on: May 06, 2018, 12:44:51 PM »
Nat Fyfe and Dustin Martin set to face off as Dockers captain nears his best, says Matthew Pavlich

LAUREN WOOD,
Herald Sun
May 6, 2018

TWO top picks for this year’s Brownlow Medal will go head-to-head on the MCG today as Nat Fyfe edges closer to his best form.

Fyfe, 26, is averaging 30.6 disposals per game this season — up on his 2015 Brownlow-winning year when he produced an average of 28.8 per game — and his Fremantle predecessor Matthew Pavlich believes the skipper is closing in on his best-ever form.

Pavlich, who captained the Dockers between 2007 and 2015, said Fyfe is reaping the benefits of time, having missed all but five games of the 2016 season after breaking his leg twice in eight months.

“He missed an entire season of footy, had two broken legs and had a long time away from football training — it’s all well and good to train, but when you don’t train as much or if you miss a whole year of footy, it does take a while,” the Fox Footy commentator said.

“He was solid last year — he finished third in the best-and-fairest and he was a very good contributor, but he’s really hit his straps so far this year.

“It came off the back of that International Rules Series (at the end of last year) as well where he really had a great series, won the Jim Stynes medal and he’s really starting to show his best form again.

“He’s such a talented and gifted athlete with his size and ability to run, he’s now put 12 months of really solid training and footy behind him so he’s getting very close to his best.”

When Fyfe took on the captaincy last season, Pavlich said he believed the 26-year-old may take a little time to “find his groove”, but that — watching from outside — he seemed to be doing just that.

Fyfe could face off with last year’s Brownlow winner Dustin Martin in Sunday’s clash with Richmond — a prospect Tigers coach Damien Hardwick refused to be drawn on this week.

But it’s a tantalising one for Pavlich, whose football knowledge was fed by such tantalising duels during the 1990s.

“I grew up watching wonderful battles in the 90s, whether that was a forward versus a back or gun midfielders going head-to-head,” Pavlich recalled.

“It doesn’t quite happen that way quite as much anymore but hopefully they do spend some time on each other.

“It’d be two very elite players of the competition going head to head — it’d be great to watch.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/nat-fyfe-and-dustin-martin-set-to-face-off-as-dockers-captain-nears-his-best-says-matthew-pavlich/news-story/8f12d53a91ef25334204394aa6857199

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Nat Fyfe and Dustin Martin set to face off (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 01:02:34 PM »
Dusty will spend more time in the midfield today with Cotch out but you'd expect Lambert or Graham to go to Fyfe.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 04:27:43 PM »
Fyfe was unreal today in a crap team but even he can't match a Dusty 'don't argue' ;D.

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/AFL/status/992967567206580225

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 04:49:43 PM »
Fyfe was unreal today in a crap team but even he can't match a Dusty 'don't argue' ;D.

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/AFL/status/992967567206580225

Happened in front of us. Exquisite play, too bad he missed the goal
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 04:12:20 PM »
Nat Fyfe is a great player being wasted at Fremantle. At 26 time is moving on for him. I know he us contracted but we should have a go at getting him across. Fremantle is years away from success whilst we would be in the window for a few more years.it would also allow us to swap martin and fyfe between the midfield and forward line. A couple of first round picks might do it although chucking in a bolton wouldnt worry me either. Fyfe is a great player and has shown he can play great on the mcg.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 05:19:55 PM »
Nat Fyfe is a great player being wasted at Fremantle. At 26 time is moving on for him. I know he us contracted but we should have a go at getting him across. Fremantle is years away from success whilst we would be in the window for a few more years.it would also allow us to swap martin and fyfe between the midfield and forward line. A couple of first round picks might do it although chucking in a bolton wouldnt worry me either. Fyfe is a great player and has shown he can play great on the mcg.

Demanded pick 2 for Lachie Weller last year. Whatever theyd want for nat fyfe, we dont have it....

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 06:03:57 PM »
Fyfe loved Richmond before he was drafted. “Betamax” Jackson didn’t think he was worthy of our pick 19 so in a masterpiece of recruitment picked theBigGirl Griffiths.

My sources tell me he hates it at Freo and wants to come to Richmond but only if Jackson is nowhere near the club.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 06:06:57 PM »

Demanded pick 2 for Lachie Weller last year. Whatever theyd want for nat fyfe, we dont have it....

Where there's a will..... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 06:23:10 PM »
Fyfe loved Richmond before he was drafted. “Betamax” Jackson didn’t think he was worthy of our pick 19 so in a masterpiece of recruitment picked theBigGirl Griffiths.

My sources tell me he hates it at Freo and wants to come to Richmond but only if Jackson is nowhere near the club.  :rollin

Unhappy at the club less than 12 months after signing a new 6 year deal.....