Author Topic: Nathan Brown interview on 'Open Mike' (Fox Footy)  (Read 1883 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Nathan Brown interview on 'Open Mike' (Fox Footy)
« on: May 09, 2018, 04:21:45 PM »
Watch here: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/tv-shows/open-mike

“That ten weeks was my favourite time in footy, bar none.” @NathanBrown_07 on his start to the 2005 @AFL season. #OpenMike

“I don’t think anybody was having the influence I was having in those first ten games.” Nathan Brown on his 2005 season #OpenMike

In 2003, Nathan Brown left the Bulldogs with an offer on the table. “The offer back then was $325,000 a year.” #OpenMike

“As innovative as a coach as you’ll ever see.” @NathanBrown_07 on Terry Wallace. #OpenMike

https://twitter.com/hashtag/openmike

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Nathan Brown interview on 'Open Mike' (Fox Footy)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 02:50:37 PM »
No one could stop Browny in those first 9 weeks of 2005. That last quarter against the Pies stands out. We also beat both reigning Grand Finalists (Port & Brisbane) in that time.

His leg being broken, after Whelan landed across it, was one of the most sickening injuries on a footy field you'll ever see. Just remember following the game with others here on OER and feeling absolutely gutted at the time as we all were and the rest of the game was just flat and felt meaningless. No coincidence our season went south after his injury. We were 7-2 going into that Melbourne game but only won 3 more after it.

Browny at his best (those 10 weeks) was truly a A-grade matchwinner and for a club like ours at that time, he was someone we hadn't had on our list since our 1967-82 glory years. It makes you appreciate the good times now and how fortunate we are to have and to watch the likes of Dusty, Cotch, Rance, Jack and co. play mutiple seasons together for us [touchwood].
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 03:43:19 PM »
Batman and Robin. Seeing Richo and Brown tear it up in those 9 weeks was sensational. Really sad his best was cut short from that injury. I think he was in contention of winning the Coleman before the break. It's a shame he never recovered because he was an absolute jet in those games

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 05:24:31 PM »
Talk about class he was all of it so skillful.We were robbed just like Coggs injuries of a senational player.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 10:31:19 PM »
Talk about class he was all of it so skillful.We were robbed just like Coggs injuries of a senational player.

And Dragacevic

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 11:12:53 PM »

And Dragacevic

Was one of my fav players!

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 11:24:42 PM »

And Dragacevic

Was one of my fav players!

Yeah, same here. He was going to be a gun.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 05:38:59 AM »
I really loved Will Thursfield before he did his knee a no nonsense defender who always got the job done wasn't the same after his knee recovery.

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 07:14:35 AM »
I really loved Will Thursfield before he did his knee a no nonsense defender who always got the job done wasn't the same after his knee recovery.

Great fella 👍

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 07:27:44 AM »

Great fella 👍

now our Pro Scout ( whatever that is !!), replaces Nick Austin who went to the dogs

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 12:36:13 PM »
and Luke Mcguane before....wait a minute he was injury free.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 12:48:32 PM »
and Luke Mcguane before....wait a minute he was injury free.

Easy up on the Broadbeach bullet

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 04:35:04 PM »
Batman and Robin. Seeing Richo and Brown tear it up in those 9 weeks was sensational. Really sad his best was cut short from that injury. I think he was in contention of winning the Coleman before the break. It's a shame he never recovered because he was an absolute jet in those games
Richo was an absolute gem with the kids (and I’m not just talking about my kids but kids in general) during that period. Out of all the family days I attended he was first one out and last to leave every time. So genuine and really looked liked he enjoyed making the kids day.

Brown on the other hand was cold as ice. Last one out and first one back in the rooms when his time was up. And for the most part you got the feeling he really couldn’t be bothered being there at all. Most of the players were pretty good but in my opinion he stood out in that regard for seemingly couldn’t be arsed attitude with the kids. And he seemed to have a bit of an attitude (I’m too good).
As was Deledio was similar in attitude but not nearly as bad.

The two best (with the kids) were clearly Richo and Cotchin. Newman was very nice bloke too and loved making the kids day a close third.

I know it’s a perception thing but it was a common perception with those I’ve spoken too during the days I used to attend the family days with the kids. (Thank God that’s over)

Good player for us though.
The club that keeps giving.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 09:16:56 AM »
Richo was an absolute gem with the kids (and I’m not just talking about my kids but kids in general) during that period. Out of all the family days I attended he was first one out and last to leave every time. So genuine and really looked liked he enjoyed making the kids day.

Brown on the other hand was cold as ice. Last one out and first one back in the rooms when his time was up. And for the most part you got the feeling he really couldn’t be bothered being there at all. Most of the players were pretty good but in my opinion he stood out in that regard for seemingly couldn’t be arsed attitude with the kids. And he seemed to have a bit of an attitude (I’m too good).
As was Deledio was similar in attitude but not nearly as bad.

The two best (with the kids) were clearly Richo and Cotchin. Newman was very nice bloke too and loved making the kids day a close third.

I know it’s a perception thing but it was a common perception with those I’ve spoken too during the days I used to attend the family days with the kids. (Thank God that’s over)

Good player for us though.

i don't have kids so have never been in that situation but a co-worker has told me that Rance is great with the kids. do you have any experience regarding that? actually can someone whip up a rough list of players which are good with autographs and kids etc in general?

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 11:14:03 AM »
My story on players being great with kids....

We were at Subi oval to watch the players train the day before a game against West Coast. It was the year Ben Cousins had just joined the club, and there was a big crowd there.

My son was 5 years old at the time and desperately hoping to get Richo to autograph his cap. Of course, as Richo came over to meet the fans he was mobbed and unfortunately my son couldn't get near him. And it was pretty clear Richo had some other commitment because the club people were trying to get him to go down the race. Richo persisted with signing stuff, but eventually he had to leave and we were nowhere near him.

So my son, pretty disappointed, went down to the fence to get a few other signatures as players walked in to the rooms. The players were sort of walking along the boundary fence signing stuff, and I was actually pretty appalled at the way heaps of these kids were just shoving stuff at the players to sign, no please or thank you. So I reminded my son to say please and thank you when getting an autograph.

Anyway, after getting some autographs, Joel Bowden comes along. My son says to him ''Could I please have your autograph?".

Bowden says to my son words to the effect of "you are the first kid here who has used some manners asking for my autograph. Good manners will take you a long way in life", and then starts chatting to my son. He asks my son who his favourite player is, and my son says Richo, and then Bowden finds out we couldn't get his autograph.

So he tells me son to wait there, and takes his hat.

Probably 25 minutes later, the crowd is pretty much gone, and Joel Bowden comes back out of the rooms with my son's cap, signed by I'd reckon every player, with a small signed poster picture of Richo.

It cemented my son's love of the Tigers through thick and thin in a state were every one of his mates was an Eagles or Dockers fan (and my son has copped his fair share for following the Tigers), but also, he never, ever forgets to say please and thank you.