Author Topic: Cotchin on SEN 16-5-18 / Opens up on leadership mentality  (Read 389 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Cotchin on SEN 16-5-18 / Opens up on leadership mentality
« on: May 16, 2018, 12:48:35 PM »
Trent Cotchin on SEN Breakfast with Garry Lyon and Tim Watson (16/05/2018):

AUDIO: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/?id=196565

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trent Cotchin opens up on leadership mentality

By SEN
16 May 2018

Richmond captain Trent Cotchin has opened up on his leadership mentality, explaining how the shift in culture at the Tigers has led them to the ultimate success.

Cotchin’s drastic change in leadership was well-documented last season, as he opened himself up to his downsides, and he has replicated those qualities during Richmond’s 7-1 start to the season.

SEN Breakfast with Garry Lyon and Tim Watson can be heard Monday-Friday 6-9am, and you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes here.

“It’s more just about growing that part of our group,” he told SEN Breakfast.

“The honesty and the authenticity of not just our relationships, but the conversations we have.

“The thing I found that was most profound for me was the moment I start to focus on myself is when I’m at my worse, when I focus on others I’m at my best.

“Whether that be from performance or the way I’m living my life, that’s been the key to my development over the last couple of years.

“If your leaders are showing that sort of behaviour, then typically everyone buys in and does the same.”

Cotchin also explained how he has passed on that advice to other leaders across the competition.

“You cross paths, whether it’s at coffee shops and so forth, and have basic conversations,” he said.

“It’s always a tough one because you don’t want to give away any of your secrets as such, but you also want to help other players in similar positions.

“I did catch up with (Essendon captain) Dyson Heppell earlier in the year and I check up with him every now and then.

“Everyone wants to find their own path as well and that’s an important lesson I learnt along the way.

“I didn’t need to be Luke Hodge, Nick Riewoldt, Joel Selwood…I needed to be Trent Cotchin and the best version of myself.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/05/15/cotchin-opens-up-on-leadership-mentality/