Author Topic: Hardwick's post-match media conference / Eagles the new benchmark: Dimma  (Read 1075 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 10:56:33 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
High-flying Eagles the new benchmark: Hardwick

Rory Coleman-Heard
afl.com.au
May 20, 2018 9:40PM

West Coast has set the benchmark as the team to beat, Richmond coach Damien Hardwick says.

The Eagles kicked 130 points against the competition's stingiest defence and asserted itself as a genuine premiership contender with a 47-point win in front of a record crowd of 57,616 at Optus Stadium on Sunday.

Adam Simpson's men rode Richmond's famed forward pressure as well as any teams has this year and made their opponents pay for poor skill errors with incisive, counter-attacking ball movement.

But it is West Coast's midfield dynamic that makes it the League's best team, according to Hardwick.

"They've got a really good balance of what they do inside and outside the contest, they've added some speed which complements them and they're really hard to stop when they're moving the ball so crisply as they were today," Hardwick said.

"I think they took 90-odd contested marks which is unlike us to give up that many, but when they control the ball like that, they're always really hard to stop.

"According to us they probably are (the best in the League) at this moment."

The loss was Richmond's first since round two against Adelaide and followed an energy-sapping win against North Melbourne last Sunday.

Despite a temporary dip in form, Hardwick insisted there was no cause for concern.

"We've been up for a fair while. (We were) down this week (and) we'll bounce back next week," he said.

"You go through ups and downs and we probably weren't at the level that we'd like to be.

"We've had some really tough games over the last couple of months.

"North (are) always tough, (we) played Melbourne and Collingwood in there - huge tough games as well - and played an outstanding side today.

"The competition's so even. You can see by being off 10 per cent today what happened for us.

"So we've played some really good opposition and unfortunately we lost an encounter today that we'd like to win."

Once-maligned key forward Jack Darling was outstanding again with a career-best six-goal haul against star defender Alex Rance.

Darling reeled in 15 marks - six contested - notched 21 touches and dished off three score assists in a performance that could signal a changing of the guard in West Coast's forward ranks.

Josh Kennedy chimed in with three goals but took a back seat as his junior teammate - marked by the opposition's best defender - took command of the Eagles' attacking arc.

"Jack I think, probably by his own admission, probably had a disappointing year last year by all accounts, but he's always been a terrific player," Hardwick said.

"And Josh has been one of the premier key forwards in the competition for the last four or five years.

"They've always got a strength up there and especially when they're getting the ball up there with relative ease through our lack of pressure - they're always going to score."

Hardwick also voiced his frustration at the lopsided free kick count, which favoured the home side 21-10.

"I think you probably always know that you're going to be on the other side of the ledger when you go away," he said.

"That's just how it works."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-20/hardwick-postmatch-r9

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
After seeing first-hand how Nic Naitanui and Scott Lycett work as a ruck combination, Hardwick said he had not ruled out using Ivan Soldo and Toby Nankervis in a similar way.

But there was a bit to work through before trialling it.

“It's always something we are addressing; we're not always saying, this is a look we want to be,” he said.

“If we have a player going well enough we'll have a look at it. Soldo has been in really good form. Nank has been in good form too but by bringing Soldo in do we rob ourselves of the strength of having Nank around the ground?

“So, they are the constant decisions we have to ask ourselves.”

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hardwick-tips-eagles-as-the-team-to-beat-20180520-p4zggj.html

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
I don't think the dual ruckman was the difference. Soldo woulda been beaten by both NN and SL.
Go Tigers!

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
oh look.....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Still think we could have done better at selection table another tall and some more speed.Kept faith in under performing of a few for me.Some games we need horses for courses and the eagles game was one.

Lebowski

Eagles were incredible yesterday - first and 3rd quarters reminded me of the stkilda game last year where everything they did turned to gold, had something like 42 inside 50's for 30 scoring shots which is insanely efficient - there were long periods of the game where we couldnt create a stoppage and they were sweeping the ball from defensive 50 to attacking 50 in long chains with ease.

Learn from it and move on

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
I’d like to see how that same eagles team performs in 10 deg weather with rain pelting down and a slippery ball.  :shh
The club that keeps giving.