Author Topic: AFL reveals its 9 rule changes [update]  (Read 6189 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: What rule changes will we likely see introduced next year? (SEN)
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2018, 05:11:52 PM »
This is what happens when you cave in to media beat-ups and then put the journalists on the committee... :facepalm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAfCQ-t7xY0

:shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2018, 05:19:55 PM »
18 metre goal square....get on Jayden Short early for the Brownlow... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2018, 06:26:31 PM »
18 metre goal square....get on Jayden Short early for the Brownlow... :shh

or the Coleman  :shh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2018, 07:25:14 PM »
ANALYSIS: Who would win from rule changes

Nick Bowen
afl.com.au
Sep 13, 2018 6:42PM

THE COMPETITION'S elite ball-winners should become even more damaging if rule changes proposed by the Competition Committee get the green light.

AFL football operations manager Steve Hocking said recent VFL trials of six-six-six starting positions at centre bounces had shown midfielders had one to three seconds more to dispose of the ball.

Give that extra time to star midfielders such as Patrick Dangerfield, Dustin Martin, Nat Fyfe, Tom Mitchell and Patrick Cripps, and watch them tear opposition defences apart.

At the moment, forwards and defenders can line up on the edge of the centre square and charge in as soon as the ball is bounced, quickly crowding the space midfielders have to operate in

It's one of the reasons the disposal efficiency of inside bulls such as Dangerfield (67.7 per cent in 2018), Martin (65.2), Fyfe (70), Mitchell (71.4) and Cripps (67.9) is a far way below prolific defenders like Rory Laird (77.6) and Jake Lloyd (79.3).

But that gap should close now all defenders and forwards have to start within their 50m arcs.

It should also mean less hacked kicks forward from bounces and more pin-point inside 50 entries to forwards. Think Hawthorn circa 2015 and the surgical precision of Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge, Jordan Lewis and co.

Given forwards also won't have to deal with teams starting a seventh man in defence, could next year be the season someone kicks 100 goals for the first time since Lance Franklin in 2008?

Jack Riewoldt's winning total of 63 goals this year was the lowest Coleman return since John Peck won with 56 goals in 1965, while Eagle Josh Kennedy, in 2016, is the only player to reach 80 goals in the past nine seasons.

If the Commission approves centre square starting positions at its next meeting in Grand Final week, at least one of Riewoldt, Kennedy, Franklin, Ben Brown and Tom Hawkins should match that feat in 2019. 

Forwards won't have it all their own way, however, with the Committee's other main recommended change set to make it harder for teams to lock the ball inside their forward 50m arcs.

An 18m long goalsquare – will the more apt 'goal rectangle' ever catch on? – will transform mere mortals into Dustin Fletcher, helping them to emulate the retired Bomber great's torpedo kick-ins that occasionally reached the centre circle.

Although teams that turned the ball over using this tactic in the VFL trials left themselves exposed to a quick counterattack, defenders will be prepared to play this risk-reward card at times, especially when they need to score quickly late in a game.

Teams trying to hang on to slim leads in the dying seconds will be a little more nervous because of it.

However, it should make the game a better spectacle.

At least that's the hope of Hocking and his game analysis team, who have clocked up thousands of hours of work this year searching for viable cures to congestion.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-13/analysis-who-would-win-from-rule-changes

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2018, 11:02:06 PM »
Yep - it's clear our forward press was the main target of Wimpley & Slobbo...er I mean the AFL.... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2018, 11:34:52 PM »
:shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

dwaino

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2018, 12:20:57 AM »
stuff off with your rule changes.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2018, 03:13:04 AM »
The controversial hands in the back rule could be abolished next season, according to SEN Time On host Sam McClure.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/09/17/hands-in-the-back-rule-could-be-on-way-out-mcclure/

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2018, 10:35:53 AM »
McClure looks weird and talks like a bum head
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2018, 08:25:10 PM »
Once again the AFL overreacts to a problem that doesn't exist and then puts a square peg in a round hole as a solution.

They want to increase scoring but the 18m goalsquare will cause coaches to discourage long range shooting & snaps from the pockets which are more likely to result in a behind & gift the opposition the ball from a more attacking defensive position. So we'll get less scoring.

Agree with this post on twitter:

And teams will be more careful how they enter the forward 50 and thus the game will slow down. Less goals and more kick to kick, the antithesis of what they're aiming for

https://twitter.com/andreamaryb/status/1040113856519884800

I disagree, Sydney used to do that ad nauseum in 2005/06 and since then its been out evolved. Being forced to kick it quickly killed that tactic. Teams wont return to a failed strategy like they wont return to Pagans paddock or the flood.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2018, 08:28:48 PM »
I hope it doesnt return to Hawthorn circa 2015 with the coralling tactic until the defender stuffs up. God that was awful to watch, just error ball.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2018, 05:05:32 PM »
Once again the AFL overreacts to a problem that doesn't exist and then puts a square peg in a round hole as a solution.

They want to increase scoring but the 18m goalsquare will cause coaches to discourage long range shooting & snaps from the pockets which are more likely to result in a behind & gift the opposition the ball from a more attacking defensive position. So we'll get less scoring.

Agree with this post on twitter:

And teams will be more careful how they enter the forward 50 and thus the game will slow down. Less goals and more kick to kick, the antithesis of what they're aiming for

https://twitter.com/andreamaryb/status/1040113856519884800

I disagree, Sydney used to do that ad nauseum in 2005/06 and since then its been out evolved. Being forced to kick it quickly killed that tactic. Teams wont return to a failed strategy like they wont return to Pagans paddock or the flood.
I agree it evolved out as footy tactics have always evolved. The problem with these proposed rule changes such as the ridiculous extended goalsquare idea is they are revolutionary rather than evolutionary. The powers that be actually want the game to return to the ways/tactics of the past. However, as Dimma told them earlier this year, it's a case of being careful what you wish for. The worst of the past was terrible to watch as any Richmond supporter who suffered through our 37-year drought would attest.

There was no need to overreact as the AFL and Hocking have done this year based on a few bad games from bottom sides in the early rounds of this season (matched by their whinging fans in the media) and due to the AFL's own incompetence by fixturing these bottom sides (eg: Carlton) on so many Friday nights which affected TV ratings. Good teams play good footy and bad teams play bad footy; it's been that way for 150 years. The Grand Final has made a fool of Gill and Hocking yet they can't admit they wrongly overreacted once again. It's like the strict push in the back rule interpretation which the AFL rushed in (Richo says hi) and now they all of a sudden want to dump it  :huh. It's always an overreaction to fix something that didn't need fixing rather than just allowing the game to evolve naturally :P.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

dwaino

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2018, 06:31:13 PM »
We went to every Bears/Lions home game from when they moved to the Gabba until '00 or '01 and saw plenty of poo games.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2018, 02:05:49 PM »
Herald-Sun saying the 18m goalsquare idea has been dumped.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2018, 03:27:42 PM »
Thank Geez....now pee of rhe rest of Gerard Wimpley's stupid wanker rules..... :thumbsdown

- Gustav Mahler