Author Topic: AFL & Etihad arrangement behind Richmond being forced out of the MCG (H-Sun)  (Read 1309 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL and Etihad Stadium arrangement behind Richmond being forced out of the MCG

RICHMOND has been dumped from its MCG fortress for Thursday night's ....

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/afl-and-etihad-stadium-arrangement-behind-richmond-being-forced-out-of-the-mcg/news-story/09dcb78f32dac86f74bf78b9074aabbc

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Here's the full article:

AFL and Etihad Stadium arrangement behind Richmond being forced out of the MCG

SAM LANDSBERGER,
Herald Sun
26 June 2018

RICHMOND has been dumped from its MCG fortress for Thursday night’s top-of-the-table blockbuster against Sydney because of a longstanding arrangement between the AFL and Etihad Stadium.

The league uses MCG tenants to help fill a quota of about 45 matches per season at Etihad Stadium despite taking ownership of the Docklands venue in 2016.

Tiger crowds usually drop by about 25 per cent at Etihad Stadium and about 40,000 fans are expected on Thursday night.

As of Friday the Tigers boast 97,134 members and they drew 58,721 fans to their MCG clash against the Swans last year.

The league confirmed its contractual arrangements for Melbourne’s two stadiums would remain the same in 2019 with the split of matches to be “broadly similar” to recent seasons.

This year Richmond and Hawthorn both play one home game at Etihad Stadium while Collingwood plays two.

Melbourne has wriggled out of its home game at Etihad Stadium since 2016, because of its pair of matches in the Northern Territory.

Magpies president Eddie McGuire was furious his club hosted Etihad Stadium tenant Western Bulldogs in Round 10.

Richmond will be denied the chance to equal football’s greatest ever MCG winning streak on Thursday because of the Etihad deal.

The Tigers have won their past 16 games at the MCG, one shy of the Melbourne’s record of 17 straight in 1955-56.

The Tigers will get their chance to equal the Demons’ MCG record in Round 16 against Adelaide and, if they win that, could break the record in Round 19 against Collingwood.

The Swans have been almost unbeatable at Etihad Stadium for the past six years. They have won 14 out of their past 15 matches there.

The Tigers have not played Sydney at Etihad Stadium since 2006, a game they lost by a record margin of 118 points.

Richmond is $1.60 favourites against the Swans with the TAB although the bookmaker said the premier would be wound into $1.55 if the game was at the MCG.

While Richmond would prefer to play all 11 home games at the MCG, hosting a non-Victorian club at Etihad Stadium is preferred to hosting a Docklands tenant.

In the past decade the Tigers have played four home games at Etihad Stadium against tenant clubs.

They hosted North Melbourne in 2015 and 2011 and the Western Bulldogs in 2013 and 2009.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/afl-and-etihad-stadium-arrangement-behind-richmond-being-forced-out-of-the-mcg/news-story/09dcb78f32dac86f74bf78b9074aabbc

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Now the AFL owns that poo ground, the contract should be torn up.
The 4 teams that call ES their home ground should play their. And the 4 teams that call The G theirs should play their.
So in theory ES should have 2 games a weekend there without any dramas?? Why does it need us to play there??
Especially when potentially supporters will be locked out on Thursday night.
It just doesn’t make any sense!

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Its a bloody joke that we don’t get MCG for our home game and the punt road end for all games we play there.

Its just bovine excrement.  :banghead
The club that keeps giving.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
The 4 teams that call ES their home ground should play their. And the 4 teams that call The G theirs should play their.

There are actually 5 teams that call ES their home ground

3 of them; Bulldogs, Saints and N0rt have it as their only home ground

The other 2; Essendon & Carlton have ES as their home ground for the majority of their games (minimum 7) but also have an arrangement where they play 4 home games a year at the MCG

There in lies the problem...
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Lebowski

we all get the agreement - it comes up nearly every season. What I dont get is why a game like rich v syd was scheduled there instead of the game vs Brisbane. Thats just dumb fixturing

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame

There are actually 5 teams that call ES their home ground

3 of them; Bulldogs, Saints and N0rt have it as their only home ground

The other 2; Essendon & Carlton have ES as their home ground for the majority of their games (minimum 7) but also have an arrangement where they play 4 home games a year at the MCG

There in lies the problem...
I don’t see a problem!
Even with those agreements of 7 odd games for Essendon and Carlton and the other 3 sides playing all their home games at ES, that’s still roughly enough for 2 games every weekend for the entire season at ES.
So why agreement??
Especially now with the AFL owning that stadium. I could understand/tolerate it when there was a previous contract but surely that is done and dusted now.
It makes me sick having to go to ES this week while Carlton and Port play at the G. That isn’t going to get anywhere near the crowd Richmond and Sydney would get at the G.
So the AFL is hurting it’s own game imo.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Now the AFL owns that poo ground, the contract should be torn up.
So in theory ES should have 2 games a weekend there without any dramas?? Why does it need us to play there??
Especially when potentially supporters will be locked out on Thursday night.
It just doesn’t make any sense!

65! 65!
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.