Author Topic: State league mature age prospects?  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
State league mature age prospects?
« on: June 27, 2018, 06:42:07 PM »
Starting with this article on the VFL (paywall)

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/afl-2018-who-are-the-vfl-players-putting-their-hand-up-for-this-years-drafts/news-story/f9ae7febf3cfec17f7fab7cb572b5974

Lintini, Mannagh, Bewley  (BOG in the Willy game) & Lok for me. Like Cavarra &  Hind though neither address a pressing need. Not mentioned there Coburg ruck Tom Goodwin would be an upgrade on Hamspud at least, still reckon Jacob Ballard would be handy inside mid depth, can totally spud it up on a bad day but a wrecking ball and clearance machine at his best. :shh

p.s. This Firefox add-on gets around most paywalls:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/anti-paywall/

:shh :shh

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 05:18:47 PM by one-eyed »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: State league mature age prospects?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 05:15:02 PM »
Bump.

The Club will be looking late in the National draft and in the rookie draft at mature age prospects from the state leagues.

Any thoughts now on who we should have our recruiting eye on from the VFL, SANFL & WAFL?

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 06:50:09 PM »
WP will probably have a heart attack if we draft Dio's man Ballard....:shh

I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 07:02:56 PM »
WP will probably have a heart attack if we draft Dio's man Ballard....:shh

Wont happen thank goodness  ;D

Have had the last 3 years to rookie and haven't bothered, tells you something I reckon

Aarts is the one they want
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 08:00:33 PM »
VFL is Aarts level...Mannagh the only one I'd take from our VFL side if we have too....and yes, I've gone off Ballard too.... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 09:23:17 PM »
VFL is Aarts level...Mannagh the only one I'd take from our VFL side if we have too....and yes, I've gone off Ballard too.... :shh

Joel Ernest ?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 10:14:10 PM »
I want Michael Gibbons. >:(
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 10:27:19 PM »

Joel Ernest ?

Hmmm... would definitely look at before Aarts but not before Mannagh....aren't we also supposed to be considering Charlie Thompson?

My updated/current thoughts from the other day in the draft thread:

Meh...very good VFL player but that's his level...Mannagh a better prospect IMO....other state leaguers I hope we're looking at are Gibbons, Bewely, Rippon, Lok, Hind, Palmer, Jonty Scharenberg., Shane Nelson and the best ruck we can find...  :shh

+ Mitch Grigg

:shh :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 11:16:17 PM »
Not a good year to be looking for state league players given the AFLs policy on the run decision to allow crap clubs to preferentially pick the eyes out of the available pool.

Oliver Eastland from Claremont. Reasonable height and a good footy brain, with good skills for a bigger player. A long shot, but that is what the rookie draft is for I guess.

As a real roughy, Dylan Smallwood (brother of potential 2018 draftee Tyron) also from Claremont might be worth a look. Didn't make the state combine invite list, but good height and a good athlete who can take a grab and thrives on the contest. Would think he would make it as a defender, which means there might not be a spot for him on our list. The knock has been work ethic, but has matured considerably in this regard this year. Veryd good debut gameearlier this year and by and large held that form. Tore Jarrod Brander a new one when the Tigers played East Perth.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 12:57:04 PM »
Gold Coast Suns sign Special Assistance Player Sam Collins from the Werribee Football Club in the VFL.

https://twitter.com/AFL_House

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 08:50:37 PM »
This year’s leading ruck prospects from the state leagues include former Docker Zac Clarke (Subiaco), ex-Gold Coast Sun Keegan Brooksby (South Adelaide), Darcy Fort (Central Districts) and delisted Bulldog Tom Campbell.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/essendon-searches-for-backup-ruckman-after-retirement-of-matthew-leunberger/news-story/7f348736dbeef5b9e446d36b3f42e524

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 12:15:05 AM »
Half a dozen in the wafl would obviously make an impact/contribute to most sides. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 09:07:16 PM »
This year’s leading ruck prospects from the state leagues include former Docker Zac Clarke (Subiaco), ex-Gold Coast Sun Keegan Brooksby (South Adelaide), Darcy Fort (Central Districts) and delisted Bulldog Tom Campbell.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/essendon/essendon-searches-for-backup-ruckman-after-retirement-of-matthew-leunberger/news-story/7f348736dbeef5b9e446d36b3f42e524

Essendon is set to sign former Docker Zac Clarke to boost its ruck stocks. But how the big man joins the Bombers remains a mystery.

As Clarke was cut by the Dockers 12 months ago, he can’t be picked up as a delisted free agent for 2019.

But AFL Media reported that Essendon could bring Clarke in via a new AFL rule, which allows a players who was previously on an AFL list to sign as a rookie between December and mid-March. It’s a rule the Giants could also use to re-list Shane Mumford.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-delisted-free-agents-sydney-clubs-cool-on-jacob-townsend-in-a-bonus-for-daniel-menzel/news-story/f6b5b426f1fc003de2473e421d7996b1