Author Topic: Tasmanian team [merged]  (Read 15337 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tasmanian team [merged]
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2022, 04:39:50 PM »
TASMANIA'S formal bid for inclusion in the AFL won't include a new stadium but the infrastructure remains an "important part" of the state's quest for a team.

Tasmania Premier Jeremy Rockliff has revealed it won't form part of the formal proposal to be put before club presidents.

"The stadium is not part of our bid. But of course the stadium is there to support AFL content in the future," he told reporters on Wednesday.

"A stadium is an important part of an AFL team, we’re committed to that. That’s why we've got the feasibility study."

The state government is undertaking a $1.25 million feasibility study into a new stadium, something it estimates could cost around $750 million.

Read more: https://www.afl.com.au/news/817611/premier-confirms-new-stadium-won-t-be-part-of-tassie-s-afl-bid

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2022, 09:21:30 AM »
Have to say Tasmania's new Premier is not helping their cause one iota

Perhaps Mr Gutwein should have stuck around until after they got the licence
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2022, 09:51:59 AM »
$750,000,000 for a stadium doesn't that seem a bit crazy? It's not like they'd have massive crowds over there either.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2022, 10:57:47 AM »
$750,000,000 for a stadium doesn't that seem a bit crazy? It's not like they'd have massive crowds over there either.

think they will mate. A stadium like that will draw teams like us and pies to play down there.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2022, 11:22:29 AM »
How many seats youd want 40,000 minimum for 750 million.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2022, 01:02:06 PM »

think they will mate. A stadium like that will draw teams like us and pies to play down there.

Agree Frankie.

Both the Giants stadium and Metricon on the GC hold about 30k IIRC,  and for both of those teams they get their biggest crowds when we go there...so the same will apply in Tassie

Having said that let's not forget that Tassie is a footy state, they want an AFL team so the locals will support it

Especially if Jack Riewoldt is their 1st coach  ;D

Just a suggestion re Jack coaching them BTW
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2022, 01:22:11 PM »

Agree Frankie.

Both the Giants stadium and Metricon on the GC hold about 30k IIRC,  and for both of those teams they get their biggest crowds when we go there...so the same will apply in Tassie

Having said that let's not forget that Tassie is a footy state, they want an AFL team so the locals will support it

Playing Coach?

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2022, 09:19:05 PM »

True they might but $750mil is a lot.

You'd be getting at least 50-60,000 capacity and it would be a top shelf piece of infrastructure.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2022, 10:23:00 PM »

True they might but $750mil is a lot.

You'd be getting at least 50-60,000 capacity and it would be a top shelf piece of infrastructure.

no one was complaining when they were throwing, and in some ways wasting that kind of money around over the last 2 years. :lol

Money well spent in my book.

How many players have come from Tassy, and yet GWS and Suns have been able to field teams. What a joke.

Biggest mistake that was made was North not merging. 18 teams would have been perfect.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2022, 12:43:49 AM »
I still reckon there's not enough talent for 18 teams.

Merge two and move them to Tas

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2022, 05:40:17 AM »
Tas don't want a merger tho. Just fold a poo club and get a tassie crew
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2022, 12:04:50 PM »
Fold 2 non viable ones.

New team in TAS. More A and B grade talent for the rest with a rotating bye.

I fondly remember the 2007 all star match and think that higher talent standards would lead to a better spectacle.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2022, 03:31:24 PM »
Seems the vote on a Tassie team has been pushed back.

-------------------------------------------

“What I know, there’s no presidents’ meeting in the diary for the remainder of August,” Whateley told AFL Nation.

“So the notion that there's going to be a vote in August; for the moment, there’s no meeting.

“So maybe there will be a meeting slotted in over the next couple of weeks, but from what I can glean, there is no scheduled meeting that a vote would take place at.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/13/theres-no-meeting-tassie-timeline-set-to-change-following-latest-revelations/

Offline amc11

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2022, 08:28:57 PM »

Agree Frankie.

Metricon on the Gold Coast currently has a capacity of 25,000.  The UTAS stadium in Launceston currently has a 20,000 capacity, although not sure about the Hobart ground capacity.  It seems to me that while eventually a new stadium may be built, having already two AFL standard grounds available for immediate use would render unnecessary the proviso of 'provide a new ground/facilities or we won't let you play'.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2022, 09:05:57 PM »

Agree Frankie.

Metricon on the Gold Coast currently has a capacity of 25,000.  The UTAS stadium in Launceston currently has a 20,000 capacity, although not sure about the Hobart ground capacity.  It seems to me that while eventually a new stadium may be built, having already two AFL standard grounds available for immediate use would render unnecessary the proviso of 'provide a new ground/facilities or we won't let you play'.
Bellerive Oval's capacity is 19,500. The biggest AFL crowd there was 17,800 when we played North there in 2016.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd