Author Topic: Tasmanian team [merged]  (Read 15633 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Tasmanian team [merged]
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2022, 04:00:31 PM »
🏟Premier Jeremy Rockliff has confirmed Mac Point is ONE site being looked at for a new Hobart Stadium & provided some information on the current model:

🪑23,000 seats

💰State Government to pay half the cost - est $375m

High Perf. Centre constructed & ready for use by mid 2025

https://twitter.com/brentcostelloe/status/1566990092581085185

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2022, 10:32:03 AM »
Wonder how much coin is in the new TV deal contingent on there being a Tassie team?
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2022, 05:16:13 PM »
Macquarie Point selected as Tasmania's AFL stadium location, ABC understands.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-17/tasmanias-afl-stadium-to-be-built-at-macquarie-point/101451196

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2022, 05:18:10 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2022, 05:23:51 AM »
‘Really positive’: Tassie team’s $204m boost amid new stadium plans and govt funding hope

The AFL Commission has held a “really positive” discussion about Tasmania being awarded the 19th license, as the state’s government pledges more money towards a team and a stadium.

Tasmanian premier Jeremy Rockliff is hoping to build a 23,000 seat boutique stadium on Hobart’s waterfront at Macquarie Point, the agreed-upon site for the venue which remains the crucial factor for the bid.

The AFL is yet to tick off the bid but on Monday held discussions with the Commission and the 18 club presidents and CEOs, giving them information on the business case.

On Monday Tasmania committed extra money to the deal, upping their funding from $10 million a year over 10 years, to $12 million a year over $12 years, plus $60 million for a high performance and team administration complex, for a total commitment of $204 million.

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has said a stadium deal must be agreed upon for the bid and premier Rockliff has talked up the Macquarie Point precinct as the perfect option.

Tasmania would commit $375 million with the other $375 million coming from federal government funding and private investment.

The 2014 Macquarie Point masterplan, featuring an AFL stadium, by The Office for Collective Design.

Full article here: https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2022-expansion-into-tasmania-19th-team-hobart-macquarie-point-stadium-funding-afl-commission-gillon-mclachlan/news-story/632e8159a67f88e8ea8df8aedb2dc99a

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2022, 07:20:17 PM »
Richmond and Geelong have given their support for a Tasmanian team.

Gold Coast and Port also say yes provided a stadium is fully funded.

Watch here: https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/1578292164723081216

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brendon Gale throws support behind Tasmanian license bid (ZH/Mercury)
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2022, 05:27:20 AM »
Brendon Gale throws support behind Tasmanian license bid

“I think the AFL community believes that Tasmania has a legitimate right to be in and for it to be a national competition.”

Danielle Sorati
zerohanger.com
October 30, 2022 - 1:55PM

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale has thrown his support behind a Tasmanian team entering the league, admitting that the bid for a 19th team would be of great benefit to both the competition and the state.

Speaking to The Mercury, Tasmanian born Gale said that Richmond was supportive of both a Tasmanian bid for both the AFL and AFLW, as a decision looms from the AFL on the Apple Isle.

“We are supportive (of a license). I was asked a few weeks ago and I think I was premature but since then our board has fully considered all the materials that were presented, the bid documents and it's a big yes from us,” Gale said.

“The board, which I'm a part of, is fully supportive of Tasmania securing a 19th license for the both the AFL and AFLW.

“I'm aware of the politics and that dollars are limited and while I've got a sense of the cost I'm also aware of the benefits.

The Tasmanian bid reportedly hinges on the proposed $750m Macquarie Point stadium, with the AFL reluctant to give out a new license without a state-of-the-art stadium ready to support a team.

The Tasmanian state government has committed some funding to the project, but won't cover the entire price tag. Gale however, thinks that the investment in the infrastructure is worth it.

“It won't just underpin the financial model of the club and the prospects of success but it will be a huge boost to the Tasmanian economy. It's not just about sport, it's about world class entertainment, culture, business events, conference and exhibition centres so it brings huge economic benefits that benefit the whole of the state and I know that because I've seen it," Gale said.

“I've spoken with people like John Olsen who was the premier of South Australia when they gave Adelaide Oval (redevelopment) the green light, maybe 10 years ago, which was a huge investment back then from the state and it's been transformative. I know people from far north Queensland with the Townsville stadium so yes it's an investment but it's one in the state that I'm confident will provide benefits. Not just for the south of Hobart but the whole of the state. It's a compelling case from where I sit.”

The AFL is likely set to make an offical decision on Tasmania in November, with all 18 clubs now given an opportunity to have their say on the bid.

All but four clubs reportedly approved a Tasmanian team entering the competition, with Gale revealing that a team in the southernmost state will provide the national competition more legitimacy.

“I think the AFL community believes that Tasmania has a legitimate right to be in and for it to be a national competition," Gale said.

"It will transcend the game from having a national footprint to being a national competition so what I'm saying is the AFL community will do what it has to do to facilitate that transition."

https://www.zerohanger.com/brendon-gale-throws-support-behind-tasmanian-license-bid-129476/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2022, 06:52:07 PM »
TASMANIA'S government and the AFL have reached an in-principle agreement on commercial terms of the state's bid for a 19th licence, but the timeline around a final decision remains unclear.

AFL boss Gillon McLachlan and Tasmanian Premier Jeremy Rockliff announced the agreement on Friday in Hobart, describing it as a "great step forward".

The Tasmanian government's funding commitment includes $12 million per year over 12 years, plus $60 million towards a high-performance and administration complex.

McLachlan indicated an announcement on Tasmania's bid was "close" but wouldn't specify a timeframe or commit to sealing the deal before his tenure as chief executive finishes at the end of the year.

It appears the final piece of the puzzle is locking in funding for the construction of a new stadium on Hobart's waterfront, which could carry a price tag of $750 million.

The state Liberal government has promised to fund half of the stadium, with the remainder of the cash to be sought from the federal government, private sector involvement and equity raising.

Rockliff said the state government had finalised a stadium business case and would soon take it to the federal government.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/866720/afl-reaches-in-principle-agreement-with-tasmania-for-19th-team

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2022, 04:08:12 AM »
First look at what a roofed stadium at Macquarie Point could look like?

https://twitter.com/brentcostelloe/status/1593396947691266048

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2022, 07:57:32 PM »
Glad it's got a roof for those wet days in Hobart. I wonder if Davenport was considered for the stadium.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2022, 09:44:05 PM »
Glad it's got a roof for those wet days in Hobart. I wonder if Davenport was considered for the stadium.

Wouldn't have thought so.

Devonport for too small and where would you put it?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 10:52:51 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2022, 11:03:16 PM »

Devonport ?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2022, 11:50:04 PM »
The population of Tassie is small. Only 500k for the whole state. Hobart is 260k (about the size of Geelong), Launceston 95k, Devonport 30k and Burnie 20k. Devonport is okay for a preseason match but it's too small to host a H/A game.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 12:14:48 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2022, 11:33:32 PM »
Hobart is really restricted by its geography. Launceston less so, it could grow to the south.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2022, 03:22:26 PM »
Hobart is really restricted by its geography. Launceston less so, it could grow to the south.
True. Population growth potential around Hobart probably limited to outer north around Bridgewater/Brighton and satellite towns like New Norfolk, Richmond & Sorell. Poor or non-existent public transport (rail) doesn't help either.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd