Author Topic: Tigers 11th in clearances & 17th in centre square hitouts to advantage(afl site)  (Read 1303 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Middle men: Your team's centre-square stars

Jennifer Phelan
afl.com.au
15 Aug 2018

WHO GETS it done in the guts at your club? Who spends the most time in the centre square, and who delivers (or doesn't) when they're in the middle? Our staff writers run the rule over all 18 clubs.

RICHMOND

Players used 21 Tigers have attended a centre bounce in 2018.

Ruckmen
2018 ruck attendances (top two): Toby Nankervis (459), Shaun Grigg (120)
Centre square hit-outs per game (minimum five games): Toby Nankervis (10.8)
Centre square hit-outs to advantage differential (team): -1.6 (17th)

Onballers
Most common ruck-rover combination: Toby Nankervis-Dustin Martin (33)
Most used midfielder (midfielder who attends most centre bounces): Dustin Martin (400)
Centre clearances won (team differential): -0.4 (11th)
Centre clearance king (minimum five games): Dustin Martin (3.4)

ANALYSIS:
For a team so dominant, it's surprising that the Tigers are only ranked mid-table for centre clearances. They're 11th in the competition for centre clearances won and are 17th in centre square hit-outs to advantage. Playing one ruckman – and an undersized one at that – contributes to those numbers, but the Tigers base their game around their repel off half-back and pressure once the ball is in play so don't really care too much about winning the ball at the bounce or ball up. Unsurprisingly, lone ruckman Toby Nankervis and midfield bull Dustin Martin are the most common ruck-rover combination and are the only two Tigers to be involved in more than 400 centre bounces, although they've had 21 players in total attend one.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-08-15/your-teams-centre-square-stars

Offline Yellow Black n Blood

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
See, for me it's not about that initial clearance. Sometimes they go nowhere. It's about the second, or third touch that's important, and that's where we're really good.

We don't allow teams to get the clearance per se, but when they do take possession we harass and pressure and the disposal is poor. Then we pounce. That is something that needs to be taken into consideration - effective clearances v clearances. Very different beasts

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
See, for me it's not about that initial clearance. Sometimes they go nowhere. It's about the second, or third touch that's important, and that's where we're really good.

We don't allow teams to get the clearance per se, but when they do take possession we harass and pressure and the disposal is poor. Then we pounce. That is something that needs to be taken into consideration - effective clearances v clearances. Very different beasts

The thing I really worry about is that when teams get a run on against us in last quarter type revivals ( aka Collingwood, Hawthorn and Geelong ) they seem to come from unopposed centre clearances that get over the top of our half back line and puts immediate pressure on our last line of defence. It is much easier winning centre clearances and creating kaos pressure on the opposition back lines where we seem potent at scoring from crumbs and keeping it trapped in.
I think its a complete fallacy that we're in any way content with sling shot football from the back line. We must get better at extraction as guys like Mitchell, Dangerfield and Pendlebury will continue to punish us

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
Centre clearance differential of -0.4 and centre square hit outs to advantage differential of -1.6.....big deal it’s literally not even a single clearance over the course of the entire game and being generous 2 hit outs to advantage where I’d much prefer banks follow up work to a big doofus ruckman who contributes nothing once the ball hits the ground.

Like I mentioned in a different thread it’s our work at general stoppages where you’ll see the major differential which i honestly think is being allowed by the coaches.

Lebowski

Centre clearance differential of -0.4 and centre square hit outs to advantage differential of -1.6.....big deal it’s literally not even a single clearance over the course of the entire game and being generous 2 hit outs to advantage where I’d much prefer banks follow up work to a big doofus ruckman who contributes nothing once the ball hits the ground.

Like I mentioned in a different thread it’s our work at general stoppages where you’ll see the major differential which i honestly think is being allowed by the coaches.

Correct

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Hammer says how dare you

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Well this bit us big time last night  :P.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Well this bit us big time last night  :P.

No doubt about it mate use to make me laugh when media say were happy to concede them that's crap we couldn't win them fullstop.Can't work out with that talent in midfield we can't do it yes Nank doesn't win much taps,but that bad.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.