Author Topic: Wayne Campbell: AFL Life Membership  (Read 3538 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Wayne Campbell: AFL Life Membership
« on: June 16, 2004, 02:32:35 PM »
Round 13 milestones
12:06:37 PM Tue 15 June, 2004
Sportal

Richmond skipper Wayne Campbell will qualify for life membership of the AFL when he leads Richmond on to Telstra Dome for Saturday night’s clash with Carlton.

Campbell will play in his 300th official AFL match, a figure that includes 267 premiership matches, 24 pre-season matches, three State of Origin matches and five international matches.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=155037
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Wayne Campbell: AFL Life Membership
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 03:09:40 PM »
Onya Cambo  :). 4 times B&F and a great servant of our Club. Unfortunately I can't see him getting to or even near 300 premiership matches. His poor legs look shot as a result of calf and achilles injuries in recent years and he may retire at year's end :(. We might have to stand him on the ground and then get the cheer squad to run at him with the banner  :-\
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 04:20:45 PM »
lmfaoooooo@having the cheer squad run at him with the banner whilst he jogs up and down on the spot.

It will be sad if he does go for one more year next year and somehow manages to play every game and finishes his career on 299 games. (Highly unlikely that we'll be playing any finals).

I don't think it will be a problem though. If he does decide to go another year he'll probably miss about ten games through injury.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 04:46:55 PM »
WELL DONE CAMPBELL

but the sadest thing is last weekend he was one of our best players and summed our club up perfectly

dominate first half the mild in the second half, shame he isnt 6 years younger, unfortunately doesnt have much left in the tank
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

froars

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 04:56:41 PM »
Well done Weeny

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 05:02:13 PM »
WELL DONE CAMPBELL

but the sadest thing is last weekend he was one of our best players and summed our club up perfectly

dominate first half the mild in the second half, shame he isnt 6 years younger, unfortunately doesnt have much left in the tank

If everyone got 10 touches in the last quarter like the old codger instead of 1 or 0 touches we would have been right.
Pretty disappointing when a bloke who can hardly move is the only one trying to do something.

Offline Piping Shrike

• Premiership Captain
  • Nothing today
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 05:11:10 PM »
It would be great to see Campbell get to the real 300, just to see someone at the club do it.
But I think two more seasons might be beyond him.

Come to think of it, if someone was going to get a free ride to 300 it should have been Knights.

Ox

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 06:18:51 PM »
Well done Wayne!

I'd be happy to see him around next year minus the captaincy.

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 09:50:34 PM »
Ooh you've opened an old wound there PS with Knightsy.

Thoroughly shafted he was.

Believed he was never in Danny's good books for some reason.

Matthew was a true leader and a clever player.

I'm gonna bask in 95 semi final glory  for a few minutes as I recall those 3 first half goals on the run that kept us alive that game..please excuse me.

Oh yeah congrats to Captain Campbell.I do agree that injury has taken its toll on him though.

Might get another season if he gets through the remainding games without any drama

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 12:10:47 AM »
Well done Wayne!

I'd be happy to see him around next year minus the captaincy.

Im with you Ox,wont mind him going around again,but a great leader he aint.
Its sad that our best player and next possible leader loves facials and manacures :o
As long as his gettin' a kick l suppose....
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2004, 03:11:43 PM »
Campbell gets 'life'
12:47:45 PM Sat 19 June, 2004
Bren O'Brien
Sportal/exclusive to afl.com.au

When Richmond skipper Wayne Campbell runs out onto Telstra Dome on Saturday night against Carlton, he will enter a select club and claim AFL life membership.

While it will only be his 268th league game, the addition of 24 pre-season matches, three State of Origins plus five international rules matches qualifies him for recognition by the AFL as a life member

But despite joining the greats of the game, including coach Danny Frawley, Campbell said the achievement will only be meaningful if the Tigers beat the Blues.

"I think it’s a nice achievement but it's certainly not in the forefront of my mind. I think we've got to win the game against Carlton, so that's what I've been concentrating on," he told Sportal.

"I think 200, 250 are pretty important, a bit more important than this one is. They're kind of special I suppose, you only have a few of them through your career. But I don’t think there's any sort of expectation to play any better."

Campbell, a four-time Jack Dyer Medallist, has been captain of the club since 2001, and while the 31-year-old's career is in its twilight, he is confident there are players to step up and fill the leadership breach when he finally retires

"I think there's really good middle crew of Chaffey, Tivendale and these sort of guys. Underneath that there's another guys like Newman. There's a really good bunch of young guys we drafted last year. They are all 17 and 18 years old and have formed a strong nucleus which will help the footy club in the future," he said.

One man who has been touted as a future club leader is Mark Coughlan, a man who Campbell has spent little time on the ground with. While Campbell only played nine games last year because of calf and achilles injuries, Coughlan has not played since round five this year because of pubic bone issues.

"He's only played one full season, he's a very good player," Campbell said. "You'd prefer your better players out there but he shouldn't be too far away now. He's been one of the real positives for the club over the last couple of years."

Campbell admits the Tigers, who are 4-8, have under-performed so far in 2004, and says the improvement is needed right from the rookies through to the skipper.

"I think I could have certainly played better so far this year. I think there's certainly some improvement needed coming into the second half of the year."

Campbell says his personal achievements would mean very little unless the team as a whole improves, which he said is a simple matter of putting together a strong effort over the 120 minutes of a game.

"I think we need consistency within games. We've played good football for three quarters but we haven't been able to string it together for four quarters. That's what we need to work on," he said.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=155817
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd