Author Topic: Hatred of everything Richmond: Is this what 1974 was like?  (Read 3226 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Hatred of everything Richmond: Is this what 1974 was like?
« on: September 05, 2018, 05:34:10 PM »
I was too young to remember (only a toddler in 74) but I'm guessing 1974 was something like now with every media commentator and non-Tiger supporter against us this week coming up with every excuse in the book as to how and why we'll get beaten.

No wonder Hafey said post-1974 GF: "It was Richmond vs the world and we won!"  :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Re: Hatred of everything Richmond: Is this what 1974 was like?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 05:39:35 PM »
Jealousy is a powerful emotion
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Is this what 1974 was like?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 05:40:13 PM »
I was too young to remember (only a toddler in 74) but I'm guessing 1974 was something like now with every media commentator and non-Tiger supporter against us this week coming up with every excuse in the book as to how and why we'll get beaten.

No wonder Hafey said post-1974 GF: "It was Richmond vs the world and we won!"  :thumbsup.
I can remember it well. Probably Jackstar too. Pretty much a repeat of what is happening now. Back then, everyone wanted North to win their first flag and only tiger supporters wanted us to win the '74 flag.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 05:47:55 PM »
Cheers, guys! :cheers

It's hilarious! The Hawks win 3-in-a-row and rebuild back to top 4 quickly yet there's a love-fest for them from all and sundry; while we win one flag after a 37 year hiatus and we're the devil incarnate  :rollin.

Being a behemoth now on as well as off the field is obviously freaking out the non-Tiger masses  :thumbsup.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 02:23:11 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 05:59:22 PM »
I came to Melbourne in 85, The love for Richmond by all and sundry (well most of melbourne apart from North, Geelong, Carlton, Melbourne and Adelaide) was pretty cool last year.

This year I do note the bias against RFC. Mind you I have we become more feral, maybe it is something to do with us as supporters as well.

Either way I hope the best for the RFC and our fabulous team.

If we win this year imagine the free kick count next year!!

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 06:04:01 PM »

This year I do note the bias against RFC. Mind you I have we become more feral, maybe it is something to do with us as supporters as well.

They all relentlessly heaped shyte and laughed at us for nearly four decades (and even now many still think we're a joke of club that just got lucky) and are now genuinely shocked that some of our supporters are paying it back with interest.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 06:05:14 PM »
This whole hawthorn rebuild idea is garbage. It’s not a rebuild if on the back of 3 premierships and a semi final loss you miss the finals and then qualify the very next year. We missed the finals in 2016 and then came back up in 2017 didn’t hear anyone calling it the quickest rebuild in history. From memory they still have the oldest list in the competition. They are yet to fall and when they do I will be loving every minute of it.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 06:13:21 PM »
Yes, a "rebulid" where you still have more than a dozen recent premiership players mostly not yet past their prime and recruit O'Meara & Mitchell in the same year. :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 07:14:02 PM »
It happened faster than I thought, they all really hate us....GOOD
Fear is a great motivator, now let's prove the point 🏆🏆

dwaino

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 08:12:54 PM »
The part that gets me is everyone ridiculed us for years. I’m in my 30s and have never known anything besides being mocked for the team I inherited. Now we’ve got a moment in the sun and we’re expected to be humble. stuff off. They made us this way and they can deal with it.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 09:00:33 PM »
I love the hate from opposition fans, it means that we once hurt them very badly!  73-74 was a magic time, every single football supporter hated us with a passion that was palpable. 
When Royce Hart whacked Billy Picken at Victoria Park I felt the stands shaking!  Nothing will ever beat the Windy Hill brawl & the whining coming out of the Essendon fans for the rest of the decade!     
Ahh, such a great time to be a Richmond supporter!  Lets do it all again & lets start this week on Whoreforn!    :santa    :gotigers 
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 09:24:34 PM »
The part that gets me is everyone ridiculed us for years. I’m in my 30s and have never known anything besides being mocked for the team I inherited. Now we’ve got a moment in the sun and we’re expected to be humble. stuff off. They made us this way and they can deal with it.
Love it big D

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 09:49:02 PM »
Grew up with Richmond being one of the big teams and hated by everyone,

Just thought it was normal.

Tookm37 years in the wilderness and then winning last year and this year being the top team for me to fully appreciate supporting the dominate team.

Long may we reign.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 10:35:21 PM »
This whole hawthorn rebuild idea is garbage. It’s not a rebuild if on the back of 3 premierships and a semi final loss you miss the finals and then qualify the very next year. We missed the finals in 2016 and then came back up in 2017 didn’t hear anyone calling it the quickest rebuild in history. From memory they still have the oldest list in the competition. They are yet to fall and when they do I will be loving every minute of it.
spot on TK :thumbsup
 :clapping :clapping :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2018, 12:42:14 AM »
Lynch to Richmond is going to send the comp and supporters of every other club into meltdown.