Author Topic: Hello Jordan De Goey, my name’s Dylan Grimes (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1195 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hello Jordan De Goey, my name’s Dylan Grimes (Herald-Sun)
« on: September 17, 2018, 03:38:08 AM »
Hello Jordan, my name’s Dylan

Mark Robinson
Herald-Sun
17 Sept. 2018

It could, and should, be the match-up of preliminary final weekend — Jordan De Goey versus Dylan Grimes. The dynamo forward with speed and smarts versus the dependable backman with speed and smarts. Grimes has never played on the Collingwood youngster, but four days out, he looms as the perfect match-up. His main opponent in the two matches against the Magpies this year was Will Hoskin-Elliott, but after De Goey’s performance on Saturday night, where he skittled Matt Buntine and Nick Haynes on the back of some brave and open ball movement, Tigers coach Damien Hardwick might have to break the emergency glass and send Grimes to De Goey. He has played on similar types this year — Mitch McGovern, Jack Ziebell, Mark LeCras, Robbie Gray (all no goals) and Toby Greene (one goal) — and curtailed them. Might work to their advantage to announce it early in the week, just as Brayden Maynard did with Greene. Mental games play their role in September.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/mark-robinson/the-tackle-mark-robinson-gives-his-likes-and-dislikes-after-two-massive-semifinals/news-story/ad0c81c964db4c218c8d634f6b854e7b

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Hello Jordan De Goey, my name’s Dylan Grimes (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 11:30:20 AM »
Grimesy said today he may not line up on De Goey as the latter plays deep forward and we like to keep our back six defensive structure. Rance might even get him.

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:01:04 PM »
Grimesy said today he may not line up on De Goey as the latter plays deep forward and we like to keep our back six defensive structure. Rance might even get him.

A cunning plan my lord.
De Goey fronts up and sees Optimus walking directly towards him and summarily sh#ts his pants.
He won't recover from the fright.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 07:13:48 PM »

A cunning plan my lord.
De Goey fronts up and sees Optimus walking directly towards him and summarily sh#ts his pants.
He won't recover from the fright.

It’s gonna be a belter
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 01:02:22 PM »
Which Tiger gets the job on Pies wildcard De Goey?

By SEN
18 Sep 2018

Garry Lyon believes Collingwood star Jordan De Goey will have two different opponents during Friday night’s Preliminary Final blockbuster against Richmond.

Depending on where the Magpies forward positions himself, Melbourne great Lyon says the Tigers should have two separate matchups in mind to quell the influence of the 22-year-old.

“(Alex) Rance will play full-back and see what comes his way,” Lyon told SEN Breakfast.

“If he (De Goey) plays a bit higher then Dylan Grimes will take him.”

De Goey got off the leash against GWS in their Semi-Final win on Saturday night, booting three goals and causing the Giants’ defence all sorts of problems with his pace and leading power.

Essendon great Tim Watson doesn’t believe De Goey will be afforded as much against an organised Tigers defensive group.

“You showed some vision on The Couch where there was some enormous space that opened up in front of Jordan De Goey,” Watson said.

“I just can’t see that Richmond would allow that defensively.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/09/17/which-tiger-gets-the-job-on-pies-wildcard-de-goey/

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 09:04:07 PM »
What is De Goey like defensively?

I haven't seen enough of him to know, but I have a feeling that we might try to exploit him by rebounding off him. Put Grimes on him to make the contest, and have Short and Vlastuin lurking to run it back the other way. I look at the Pies forward line, and they don't seem to have a lot of options to actually go to other than De Goey in a contest.