Author Topic: Post-season autopsy  (Read 4251 times)

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Post-season autopsy
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2018, 02:22:22 PM »
In the perfect world Nank is our ruck/forward and we have a bigger, still agile first ruck that can do more than just tap the footy.

Nank used as anything other than no.1 ruck is useless. He is not a good enough fwd to play fwd/ruck, his strength is his work in the middle and yes while he may lose the contest he is an absolute beast in his follow up.

Some of the comments on here are bordering on hysterical. Win the premiership last year finish top this year and now or ruckman ain’t good enough, we need to start tagging oppo mids, small fwd line doesn’t work etc......

We didn’t turn up yesterday as simple as that had nothing to do with our strategy and game style.
No point having a game style that beats most clubs or a ruckman that is good enough against the lower sides, it’s about getting a game style and players that can win you the last game.
The game has changed since last year and so have some clubs, we have deficiencies and we need to address them. And one is the ruck and our second ruck option.

I do agree with you on tagging players though.
What is Graham’s rolling if not to be a run with player while he learns more about being a genuine midfielder?

Just can’t take a 1 game sample size and say our style can’t win the big or our system doesn’t work when it so obviously has over the past 2 years. It was just a bad game and a big outlier when compared to the rest of the season. Kids will be drafted, trades will be made and things will be worked on over the summer, but let’s not just crap over what has been an outstanding couple of years.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2018, 03:03:45 PM »
Truly great sides don't rest on their laurels.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2018, 03:06:37 PM »
Too many groovy grubbers, not enough hard nosed footy..:shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2018, 03:07:13 PM »
 :shh :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2018, 05:17:08 PM »
definitely need an extractor.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2018, 05:24:33 PM »
or maybe its simply because we had grigg as our second ruck and has been worked out all year where last year teams didnt know what to do?

Remove him from the seniors and we win clearances? I can only think of that being the reason we dropped down so far

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2018, 05:25:57 PM »
Dominant ruckman not really helping Melbourne right now  :shh

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2018, 05:41:20 PM »
Eagles have two competitive rucks - Lycett & Vardy. They don't have a Grigg-type at ground level watching Gawn get a freebie smack the ball to thump it 30m forward. Collingwood have Grundy & Cox. Both Grand Finalists will go old school playing two ruckmen.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2018, 05:50:11 PM »
While our defence has been one of if not the best for the past couple of seasons, one thing I’d want them to look at is why they allow teams to have such easy shots at goal.  There’s been a lot of games where we have had double or there abouts scoring shots but while we’ve been 15.17 the oppo have been 11.4 or something like that. Would be interested to know where we rank in goals conceded within 10m.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2018, 05:53:12 PM »
Eagles have two competitive rucks - Lycett & Vardy. They don't have a Grigg-type at ground level watching Gawn get a freebie smack the ball to thump it 30m forward. Collingwood have Grundy & Cox. Both Grand Finalists will go old school playing two ruckmen.

My point exactly

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2018, 06:06:42 PM »
CCJ and Balta need to have big preseasons. If they can improve they give us a second (and third) ruck and more marking power. I know they have a long way to go but they have the talent to be very good players. :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2018, 07:20:30 PM »
CCJ and Balta need to have big preseasons. If they can improve they give us a second (and third) ruck and more marking power. I know they have a long way to go but they have the talent to be very good players. :shh

Are you saying we now need 3 rucks at any one time or that we need the depth of ruck options?
I’m expecting Tommy Lynch to take over the pinch hitting from Grigga.
Balta is our back up/replacement for Broady.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2018, 07:28:44 PM »

Are you saying we now need 3 rucks at any one time or that we need the depth of ruck options?
I’m expecting Tommy Lynch to take over the pinch hitting from Grigga.
Balta is our back up/replacement for Broady.
Tom Lynch won't ruck. He's just coming off a PCL which is the ligament that goes in rucking duels. He'll play deep. Jack will play higher up the ground as a CHF but can also alternate with Lynch. CCJ is a pure second ruck but has great hands around the ground. Balta is more like Rance in the way he could play. He can pinch hit in the ruck but is also mobile and has pace. He should play down back and run through the middle. Also an above average mark. That suddenly gives us more height, marking power and we don't lose a lot of speed. I would have Balta taking Houli's spot and CCJ taking Griggs. Suddenly our balance is much better.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2018, 08:45:38 PM »
I like the eagles system 1 pure ruck and the ruck forward  that had to happen this year our side is lacking height from midfield to forward.

dwaino

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 09:36:00 PM »
Severed Survival has been my favourite post season Autopsy.