Author Topic: Post-season autopsy  (Read 4256 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Post-season autopsy
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2018, 09:53:46 PM »
Can’t wait to see more of Grigg, Houli and Conca next year

And I am sure BEllis will tear up the training paddock and be back in the R1 side next year

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2018, 08:36:26 AM »
CCJ and Balta need to have big preseasons. If they can improve they give us a second (and third) ruck and more marking power. I know they have a long way to go but they have the talent to be very good players. :shh

Are you saying we now need 3 rucks at any one time or that we need the depth of ruck options?
I’m expecting Tommy Lynch to take over the pinch hitting from Grigga.
Balta is our back up/replacement for Broady.
Tom Lynch won't ruck. He's just coming off a PCL which is the ligament that goes in rucking duels. He'll play deep. Jack will play higher up the ground as a CHF but can also alternate with Lynch. CCJ is a pure second ruck but has great hands around the ground. Balta is more like Rance in the way he could play. He can pinch hit in the ruck but is also mobile and has pace. He should play down back and run through the middle. Also an above average mark. That suddenly gives us more height, marking power and we don't lose a lot of speed. I would have Balta taking Houli's spot and CCJ taking Griggs. Suddenly our balance is much better.

Ruckman who have had PCL’s go back into the Ruck, why wouldn’t T Lynch if he’s fit and well?
Balta replacing Houli? I’d like to see him back, possibly replacing Broad who had an ordinary year and look to Markov to replace Houli - he has the run and carry with hopefully another strong pre season under his belt the running capacity to match Houli.
CCJ might make us a bit too heavy in the forward line with Lynch and Jack down there as well?
I see him as back up to the Nank.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2018, 10:04:09 AM »
Can’t wait to see more of Grigg, Houli and Conca next year

And I am sure BEllis will tear up the training paddock and be back in the R1 side next year
Preferably for other clubs

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2018, 10:52:26 AM »
CCJ and Balta need to have big preseasons. If they can improve they give us a second (and third) ruck and more marking power. I know they have a long way to go but they have the talent to be very good players. :shh

Are you saying we now need 3 rucks at any one time or that we need the depth of ruck options?
I’m expecting Tommy Lynch to take over the pinch hitting from Grigga.
Balta is our back up/replacement for Broady.
Tom Lynch won't ruck. He's just coming off a PCL which is the ligament that goes in rucking duels. He'll play deep. Jack will play higher up the ground as a CHF but can also alternate with Lynch. CCJ is a pure second ruck but has great hands around the ground. Balta is more like Rance in the way he could play. He can pinch hit in the ruck but is also mobile and has pace. He should play down back and run through the middle. Also an above average mark. That suddenly gives us more height, marking power and we don't lose a lot of speed. I would have Balta taking Houli's spot and CCJ taking Griggs. Suddenly our balance is much better.

Ruckman who have had PCL’s go back into the Ruck, why wouldn’t T Lynch if he’s fit and well?
Balta replacing Houli? I’d like to see him back, possibly replacing Broad who had an ordinary year and look to Markov to replace Houli - he has the run and carry with hopefully another strong pre season under his belt the running capacity to match Houli.
CCJ might make us a bit too heavy in the forward line with Lynch and Jack down there as well?
I see him as back up to the Nank.
Ruckmen who have done there PCL's have to go back into the ruck because they are.......ummmm....ruckmen. They don't have a choice. You don't use your recently purchased expensive Ferrari to tow the trailer and hence I wouldn't think Lynch would be used any more than pinch hitting ruckwork in the forward line.
I disagree that Broad had an ordinary year. He was brilliant in the first half of the season. He did have several poor games at the end but to say his whole season was bad is wrong IMHO. Broad will keep his place as he defends much better than Houli. Grigg is coming to an end. Whether he is replaced with another utility or we get more marking power into the side will be the choice of the match committee.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2018, 12:08:37 PM »
Why can't we go like the eagles setup 2 big KF and Nank in ruck with another ruck forward type for help .The only thing your players have to be mobile and good around the ground and your midfielders have to work harder with one less runner.Not keen to see Lynch in ruck.We need to play one of our kids or recruit one.Can't have the same scenario like this season 2 talls short from round 1in Griffiths and Hammer.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2018, 12:23:40 PM »
We need more midfield depth - that's where Collingwood is superior to us.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2018, 06:16:20 PM »
Yep -we mocked them all year over their injury excuses but there they are in the GF while we basically fell in the heap on the back of a handful of niggles..... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2018, 07:01:19 PM »
Yep -we mocked them all year over their injury excuses but there they are in the GF while we basically fell in the heap on the back of a handful of niggles..... :shh

:shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S