Author Topic: Have the Tigers become to Money focussed?  (Read 3780 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Have the Tigers become to Money focussed?
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 06:32:36 PM »
Richmond is already getting money from gaming machines. That's the realty of the situation. There is nothing wrong with adding
to the portfolio buy buying into a family pub with gaming machines. It has nothing to do with brothels and arms trading.
They are trying to get out of the gaming business. That's why they have bought into the fitness industry. They realise that the lomg term future of pokies is limited.

This is only credible if each club and the AFL get out of drawing income from gambling altogether. The sponsorship money from betting agencies is far more pervasive and dangerous than pokies. When kids are using odds to calculate in their mind the likelihood of their team winning, you have a generational problem.
Picking on pokies in isolation is a joke and one of many reasons why I despise the Roos superficial personality
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 01:11:04 AM »
If people want pokies shut down then maybe tattslotto, the tab, and scratch tickets can also be illegal. Unfortunately
the AFL is a competitive industry and we need more money as a club, a decent pub with machines could bring in the
money. Its the punters who play the machines who need to show discipline in their lives and not play if they cannot
afford to lose.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 02:44:45 PM »
If people want pokies shut down then maybe tattslotto, the tab, and scratch tickets can also be illegal. Unfortunately
the AFL is a competitive industry and we need more money as a club, a decent pub with machines could bring in the
money. Its the punters who play the machines who need to show discipline in their lives and not play if they cannot
afford to lose.

Do gooders who want to “fix the world”
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 03:12:46 PM »
You guys do realise that gambling is a disease? One that preys on the most needy?
Pokies gambling is an addiction and the easiest way to pray on these people.
Tattslotto and other forms of betting are nowhere near as addictive and destructive.

I would have thought that most people would understand this, but alas they don't.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2018, 03:15:29 PM »
People should be free to spend their money however they wish. If they want to gamble, let them. If you're a good punter you can live off the punt really.
I agree pokies aren't a smart choice when it comes to gambling but I'm not going to (nor should anyone) tell people how they should spend their own money.

Having said that, I don't really give a poo if we're not using pokies to our advantage like other clubs. If we can get money into the club without doing so then hats off to the RFC
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2018, 04:20:13 PM »
..and hats off to Roy Harper.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2018, 07:16:39 PM »
Simple answer is no.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2018, 07:46:08 PM »
You guys do realise that gambling is a disease? One that preys on the most needy?
Tattslotto and other forms of betting are nowhere near as addictive and destructive.

I would have thought that most people would understand this, but alas they don't.
Unlike some other diseases Doc, gambling is still a choice.
It’s an addiction sure but at some stage the individual had a choice... just like taking drugs or even smoking...

It’s time people take responsibility for their actions. It’s all too easy to blame someone/something else.

I don’t give a poo either way about pokies but I’m sick to death of “victims” in our society.
And I’m almost as sick of the do-gooders. (Not saying you are mate as I respect what you do but for some.....)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2018, 07:48:36 PM »
Singer songwriter or fictional superhero? :lol
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2018, 07:58:29 PM »

Alcoholism is also a disease but I don't see people wanting to ban scotch whiskey, beer and wine. Common Doc,
I understand theirs issues here, people in this day and age lack discipline, I like a beer, but from the day
I was diagnosed with CRF I haven't had a beer. I go to parties, and watch my family and friends enjoying themselves
and that's good, I have a 500 ml daily fluid restriction, so no beers for me or wine. Sometimes in life people
need to take care of themselves and be disciplined. I know its hard, but its hard for lots of people in life. That's my
take on it, obviously you disagree.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2018, 02:22:00 PM »

And Sportsbet, Luxbet, TAB etc introduce and normalise the concept of gambling in their all consuming way by advertising and promoting it absolutely everywhere. Brings kids into the concept of gambling ...

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2018, 09:49:22 PM »
Yes

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2018, 10:00:52 PM »
Anyone heard what sort of a profit the club is expecting to make this year?

Offline nevefan

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2018, 12:03:44 PM »
Singer songwriter or fictional superhero? :lol
My uncle - played for Footscray 1952-1955. A serious knee injury prevented him from playing the 1954 grand final  :P