Author Topic: Miles and C.Ellis to Gold Coast for a swap of 2019 future 3rd round picks  (Read 11141 times)

Offline Shammo80

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Miles and C.Ellis to Gold Coast for a swap of 2019 future 3rd round picks
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 03:38:59 PM »
move them on both players have had there time at the club cant get a regular game why hang onto them sure we only got a 3rd rounder next year but still frees up the list for another players

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 04:02:12 PM »
A pick inside 40 is still a live pick IMHO. Paul Chapman went at pick 31. Plenty of good players go in the 30 to 40 range.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 04:02:35 PM »
This is disgraceful list management and trading.  I'm sorry but Ellis in particular has upside and worth at least a 3rd rounder in his own right. 
Very disappointed with the club via this trade.
It was reward for not matching us. No coincidence it came immediately out with the Lynch decision....

Keeps our relationship good with our northern junior development squad called the Suns... :shh
:lol :rollin
Any way you spin it we have been bent over here.  They did get pick 3 for Lynch, it's not like they didn't get a return.

Both were going to ge the the chop anyway. 3rd pick a pick in the 40 keep it for points father and sons to.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 04:05:47 PM »
This is disgraceful list management and trading.  I'm sorry but Ellis in particular has upside and worth at least a 3rd rounder in his own right. 
It was reward for not matching us. No coincidence it came immediately out with the Lynch decision....

Keeps our relationship good with our northern junior development squad called the Suns... :shh
Any way you spin it we have been bent over here.  They did get pick 3 for Lynch, it's not like they didn't get a return.

Both were going to ge the the chop anyway. 3rd pick a pick in the 40 keep it for points father and sons to.
Then why not trade for just their pick then, we shouldnt have sent one back the other way

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 04:32:09 PM »
It's funny

We harp on about players not being up to it (Ellis C), not being worth much at all; say take what you can get we say

So we do and yet we still complain

Does the deal give us a better position in the draft; yep so it's a win

With regard to Miles; club told him they get him to his club of choice, they did and quite frankly after his lack of opportunities the last 2 seasons reckon we have done the absolute right thing by him which he deserved. Wish him nothing but the best
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline potsclub

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 04:41:50 PM »
It's funny

We harp on about players not being up to it (Ellis C), not being worth much at all; say take what you can get we say

So we do and yet we still complain

Does the deal give us a better position in the draft; yep so it's a win

With regard to Miles; club told him they get him to his club of choice, they did and quite frankly after his lack of opportunities the last 2 seasons reckon we have done the absolute right thing by him which he deserved. Wish him nothing but the best
You been here long enough mate to know that it is very hard to please a few on here!!

Great management, cap space is obviously an issue as well. But... doing the right thing by GC will only benefit us in the long run, if they had matched what would have RFC done? Nothing, and we wouldn't have got Lynch and it would have been egg on our face.

Look at how Carlton dealt with B.Gibbs, why do you think no one wants to deal with Carlton now? McGovern?

This isn't just about this trade, I get it, this trade on it's own GC get a bit from us for nothing in a way. But in future it holds us in good stead! Clubs will want to deal with us and players will want to come to us!

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 05:42:55 PM »
If Towner ends up there I will officially change my number two team.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 06:13:59 PM »
If Towner ends up there I will officially change my number two team.

St kinda boss said there’s no interest from them. Thinking he’ll be retained.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 08:11:59 PM »

Can be spun quite easily in our favour.

We traded out 2 depth players and a third rounder for the best projected KP forward in the comp for the next 5 years + AND a Third round pick (when we'll need extra picks for MRJr).

That's a disgustingly fantastic deal for a team that is firmly in the premiership window.

How can you not see that pmac??

:help

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2018, 08:33:35 PM »
See ya gents - wish you the very best for the future. Time to move on :thumbsup

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2018, 09:05:03 PM »
For the people who think this is a bad deal, I think you need to have a good think about what we could have got for Miles and Ellis.

12 months ago, no one was that interested in Miles, so he stayed with us. Move on 12 months and he didn't get an opportunity from us, and no one appeared to be knocking our door down for him. Suggests he wasn't worth that much to anyone.

I didn't exactly see a queue at our door to secure Corey Ellis either. The talk that Essendon might have been interested did not materialise. If a club had offered us a third round pick for Ellis, I am sure we would have gone in the direction.

So we took the opportunityto give one loyal player his wish (Miles) and move on another who just couldn't realise his potential (Ellis). In the case of Miles, that goodwill will be worth something some day, I am sure of it. Look after players, and others will hear about it.

Ellis is the classic Richmond hope of the last 30 odd years. In the past we would have hung on to him for 6-7 years, paid him a lot of money for no return, and eventually cut him for nothing except the missed opportunity of having someone else on our list who might have become a player for us.

Materially we did not get much out of this deal. But sometimes the intangibles can be worth making the deal.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2018, 09:12:12 PM »

Can be spun quite easily in our favour.

We traded out 2 depth players and a third rounder for the best projected KP forward in the comp for the next 5 years + AND a Third round pick (when we'll need extra picks for MRJr).

That's a disgustingly fantastic deal for a team that is firmly in the premiership window.

How can you not see that pmac??

:help

Junior's draft isn't until 2020.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2018, 10:02:13 PM »
Came here to reaffirm my view that we were short changed in the deal, but hmm, a great post by Slipper, an opinion changing post!
We probably could've held out and got an outright 3rd rounder for Ellis, but it would've been a worse pick than the one we are going to get anyway,  if it was Essendon probably 7-8 spots worse.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2018, 05:14:44 PM »

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2018, 06:48:10 PM »
Anyone else noticed we are screwing up a 1st round pick here?
The fact B Ellis was al ost out the door is a worry too.
How many first rounders can you stuff up and still be competitive in the future?