Author Topic: Neil Balme on SEN 8-10-18  (Read 2252 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Neil Balme on SEN 8-10-18
« on: October 08, 2018, 06:25:18 PM »
Coming up now after the ad break.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Neil Balme on SEN 8-10-18
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 06:48:33 PM »
Summary:

*Balmey said the first he knew about Lynch was today (laughs)  :snidegrin.

* Most of the work done between Blair Hartley and Lynch's management. Reported quite accurately that he loved the Gold Coast but he wanted to come back to Melbourne. 3 clubs involved that were very close. Balmey said he was hopeful more than confident.

* If anyone thinks Lynch will be the saviour they'll be disappointed. There will be a change of structure up forward which Jack Riewoldt will be happy about as he won't have to do so much of the work (i.e. getting crunched). Lynch is better than the average player so we do expect a bit from him but he mainly needs to do his role.

* We don't want Lynch to ruck but we do need a 2nd ruck. I don't see him going into the ruck too much I see him going up forward. That (2nd ruck issue) hasn't been resolved to be honest.

* Miles and Corey Ellis played so well in the VFL this year and they don't want to play VFL forever so they looked for opportunities elsewhere. As mentors and friends we wanted to help them to get to where they wanted to get to. It would've happened regardless of Lynch.

* Conca - not much we could do given he was unrestricted free agent. We would've liked to have kept him but the Dockers made him a good offer to go home. We'll miss him he's a great young man around the club.

* Lloyd - we'd support his move to the Bulldogs if that's what he wants.

* Townsend - we'll be happy to keep him but we'll see what happens.

* Brandon Ellis - nothing certain but no one banging the door down for him. We'd like to keep him. We don't want to lose anymore players.

* Broad is contracted.

* Got to smart enough to work out what makes us difficult to play against. Smalls add a different dynamic but any side with Tom Lynch will be hard to play against.

* Balmey said he's old fashioned and doesn't like free agency and trading. Prefers building trust between club and player. Doesn't like the moving of contracted players. They should see their contract out. If you do it properly with the 3-4 players that do want to move then that's fine.

* Feels sorry for North. "They've just got to keep trying I'd guess" lol.

* How do you stay up near the top? Getting Tom Lynch helps a bit (laughs). As Boomer would know you need to stay hungry and work hard. A credit to our guys this year that they stayed hungry. There's going to be a few clubs challenging next year.

* Not sure on Lynch's guernsey number. Not the biggest concern. More worried about the numbers we're paying him (laughs).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 07:15:05 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 07:12:42 PM »
Here's the audio link for those that missed it ...

PODCAST | @Richmond_FC general manager of footy Neil Balmke joined @sam_mcclure and @Boomer_29 for a chat on Time On Trades:

AUDIO: https://omny.fm/shows/trade-radio/neil-balme-on-nab-trade-radio-2

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 07:25:24 PM »
* We don't want Lynch to ruck but we do need a 2nd ruck. I don't see him going into the ruck too much I see him going up forward. That (2nd ruck issue) hasn't been resolved to be honest.
Unless someone like Chol makes dramatic improvement over the summer then the 2nd ruck issue might be something not fixed until next year's FA/trade period  :-\.

* Brandon Ellis - nothing certain but no one banging the door down for him. We'd like to keep him. We don't want to lose anymore players.
Read from that that they're staying.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 08:53:48 PM »

What about a gentle tap on the door Balmey? That'll do  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 09:17:14 PM »
Unless someone like Chol makes dramatic improvement over the summer then the 2nd ruck issue might be something not fixed until next year's FA/trade period  :-\.

Our solution is to fast track Balta. He takes Grigg's place. He is taller, rucked as a junior as his big leap allowed him to be competitive and gives us the mobility around the ground too.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 09:24:24 PM »

Our solution is to fast track Balta. He takes Grigg's place. He is taller, rucked as a junior as his big leap allowed him to be competitive and gives us the mobility around the ground too.
Agree YBB. Make Grigg captain assistant coach for the vfl we can use him in case of injury to someone good.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 10:09:27 PM »
Get Goddard and they can be VFL co-captains...aka  "The Pointer Sisters"..... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 01:01:31 AM »
The way I see it we need a second ruck forward from state leagues or another club.There is no guarantees Balta or CCJ or iChol will be ready next season.We were already 2 tall rucks short with Griffiths and Hammer this year both out.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:38:18 AM by georgies31 »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond GM provides update on the futures of a trio of Tigers (SEN)
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 02:40:06 AM »
Richmond GM provides update on the futures of a trio of Tigers

SEN
Mon, 8th Oct 2018

Richmond General Manager of Football, Neil Balme, has provided an update on the futures of Sam Lloyd, Jacob Townsend and Brandon Ellis.

Lloyd and Townsend have been linked with moves to the Western Bulldogs and St Kilda respectively, while Ellis has been rumoured to have toured North Melbourne’s facilities.

Speaking on AFL NAB Trade Radio, Balme is wary of not letting go of too many players after the departures of Anthony Miles and Corey Ellis to Gold Coast.

Sam Lloyd:

“I think Lloyd’s been talking to the Western Bulldogs.”

“We would support that if that is what he really wanted to do. He played well enough to play a lot more games as well, so we’ll see what happens there.”

Jacob Townsend:

“I’m not sure what the interest is.”

“We wouldn’t be unhappy to keep him, but we’ll see what happens there.”

Brandon Ellis:

“Brandon Ellis is certainly contracted and very much required.”

“But nothing is certain these days of course, but no-one’s actually banged the door down for him at this stage.

“We’d be very keen to keep him, we don’t really want to lose any more players I wouldn’t think.”

http://aflnation.com.au/2018/10/08/richmond-gm-provides-update-futures-trio-tigers/

Lebowski

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 07:53:45 PM »
I dont get why Lynch couldnt ruck in the fwd line, and not take centre bounces?  :huh

Boundary throw ins and body on body contests from a throw up in the fwd line is not going to bang up your body at all. If he took the fwd 50 ruck duties, it would be a massive help to nankervis who wouldnt have to worry about covering so much ground - his TOG could conceivably go up bc he's only covering 2/3's of the field

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 08:19:21 PM »
I dont get why Lynch couldnt ruck in the fwd line, and not take centre bounces?  :huh

Boundary throw ins and body on body contests from a throw up in the fwd line is not going to bang up your body at all. If he took the fwd 50 ruck duties, it would be a massive help to nankervis who wouldnt have to worry about covering so much ground - his TOG could conceivably go up bc he's only covering 2/3's of the field
Possibly because you don't use a rolls Royce to tow stuff to the dump

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 08:23:46 PM »
Can easily do as Lebowski has suggested. Centre bounces are the big no no
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 12:40:50 AM »
I think he will ruck in fwd 50 stoppages. That’s not going to change anything for nank though as he doesn’t do that currently. Always sets up behind play to intercept long hack kick out.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 08:01:57 AM »
Someone on bigfooty mentioned Riley O'Brien a young ruckman from Adelaide. Been in the system 3 or 4 years and has played a couple
of games. I have seen some vision and he seems like someone who could assist Nankervis. Straight swap for Stengle.