Author Topic: Richo’s Kokoda kick-to-kick gone wrong (Herald-Sun)  (Read 564 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richo’s Kokoda kick-to-kick gone wrong (Herald-Sun)
« on: November 07, 2018, 03:53:24 AM »
Richo’s Kokoda kick-to-kick gone wrong

Scott Gullan,
Herald Sun
7 Oct 2018

KICK a high ball near Matthew Richardson and you know what’s going to happen ... even on the Kokoda Track.

Richardson’s former Richmond teammate Tim Fleming was reminded of this when the pair were part of a group of 27 who did the famous trek to raise money for the Windermere Child and Family Services.

Midway through the expedition there was a rest day and one of the travelling party pulled out a Sherrin, much to the delight of Richo, who’d brought along some ex-teammates including Fleming, Wayne Campbell and Nathan Brown.

Fleming was renowned for his courage and toughness during his 34 games with the Tigers in 2003-04 and he needed all of that after getting in the wrong spot during the kick-to-kick.

“Flem was trying to go one-on-one with me and he got too far in front,” Richo told Richmond’s official podcast Talking Tigers.

“He came back with the flight and opened up his rib cage. I then accidentally put my knee into his rib cage.

“He was sore for the rest of the day and the next day when he got up he was still complaining and I thought he was just putting it on.

“Then about an hour into the next day he did this big cough and dislodged whatever I’d done to him. He was in all sorts of trouble.”

There was a thought of getting a helicopter in to take him to hospital but Fleming bravely soldiered on, although he was unable to carry his pack.

“True to his nature, Flem gutsed it out and for the next three days he had to walk with a cracked rib,” Richo said.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-great-matthew-richardson-accidentally-breaks-former-teammates-rib-on-kokoda-track/news-story/982c99e9117c8e60e27fe47affcc4876