Author Topic: Don Pyke pushed for best-of-three Grand Final series after 2017 loss to Richmond  (Read 1405 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Don Pyke pushed for best-of-three AFL Grand Final series after 2017 loss to Richmond

November 14, 2018
FOX SPORTS

Adelaide coach Don Pyke allegedly asked the AFL Coaches’ Association boss to campaign for a best-of-three premiership-deciding series in the wake of his club’s Grand Final loss to Richmond in 2017.

Pyke’s push, reported by veteran AFL journalist Caroline Wilson on 3AW’s Sportsday on Tuesday, comes in the wake of suggestions the long-term contract biding the AFL Grand Final to the MCG was only finalised last month — not in April as first flagged.

The Crows spent the entire 2017 home and away season in the top two, finishing first on the ladder after Round 23 before winning two home finals to progress to the Grand Final.

However the Crows — like all previous Grand Finalists — had to play at the MCG against the Tigers, who play nearly all of their home games at the venue.

Wilson said the loss to Richmond sparked Pyke to take action behind the scenes.

“So Don Pyke, after losing to Richmond, went to the Coaches’ boss Mark Brayshaw and said ‘this is something you need to push on our behalf’,” Wilson told Sportsday.

“What is interesting to me is the coach of the Adelaide Crows, who’s a very smart bloke and he’s not a bad sport, he honestly believes it is a totally unfair system and he wanted to fight it.”

In April, legendary footy journalist and Open Mike host Mike Sheahan flagged an impending “push” led by non-Victorian clubs for a best-of-three Grand Final series. Less than a week later, the long-term Grand Final-MCG contract deal was announced.

Wilson said outgoing Sydney chief executive Andrew Ireland had been the biggest advocate for a best-of-three AFL Grand Final series.

“Andrew Ireland has made this a cause célčbre for him,” Wilson said.

“It came up when they were having these big discussions about fairness of fixture. He said ‘if the fixture’s going to be fair, you have to fix the Grand Final’. And he put forward this best-of-three idea.”

In April, the AFL and Victorian state government announced that the MCG’s contractual hold on hosting the Grand Final had been extended until 2057.

But Wilson on Tuesday night revealed that the mega deal was only officially “signed two weeks ago”. She said the reason behind the delay was due to the MCG protecting its privilege to host the AFL game that decided the premier, which would be tricky situation if it was a best-of-three series.

“To have the MCG hosting the Grand Final for most of our lifetimes … the state government was determined the deciding game was going to be at the MCG and that is why negotiators have been blueing about right up until two weeks ago when the deal was finally sealed,” Wilson said.

Fox Footy commentator and former Geelong player Dwayne Russell said the idea didn’t make sense.

“It won’t work, because if Sydney and Adelaide are playing in the Grand Final and Game 1 is at Sydney, then Game 2 has to be at the MCG and then Game 3 has to be at the MCG — and Adelaide don’t get a (home) game. How does that work in terms of fairness? You have a best of three series and Adelaide don’t host a game?” Russell told Sportsday.

Wilson said the noise around a three-match Grand Final series had diminished since the Eagles’ triumph over Collingwood in September, but added that it “interests me that this is not going away, despite the Victorian Government deal”.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/report-don-pyke-pushed-for-bestofthree-afl-grand-final-series-after-2017-loss-to-richmond/news-story/51ae1c1b1122b4eefe1941269b4042ba

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I’d rather see the grand final venue rotate accross the states then this best of 3/5/7 garbage.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I’d rather see the grand final venue rotate accross the states then this best of 3/5/7 garbage.

It’s at the G. Nuff said
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Why is three the magic number, why not five, one game in each of the major capital cities

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
The Crows are soooooo mentally weak it isn't funny.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Why is three the magic number, why not five, one game in each of the major capital cities
Claw still won't attend the one in WA
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame

I like it. But just a couple of questions

What if one team wins the first three games, do we still play the last two?

what happens when Tasmania gets a team?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Then it goes to best of 7 including Hobart & Canberra . :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Dougeytherichmondfan

The top team should have the power to reset the scores to 0 at any point during the game that they see fit. Except if the team is an MCG tenant. If it's an interstate club v a victorian club the interstate team gets a 30 second window at the end of every quarter where the victorian team must leave the ground, but play is still live and the interstate team can score as many points as possible. If, in the event of the victorian team having scored more than the interstate team at the end of regular time; the interstate team may elect to invoke the "octopus" law whereby the victorian team cannot move from their current standing position while the interstate team have 5 minutes of extra time each end to try and bridge the deficit. If at the end of this period the interstate team is STILL behind in scoring; they are given the option for a world wide best of 15 championship competition.

Upon a 15 match international series the interstate team STILL has not won the premiership they must publicly declare they are not worthy of the premiership and remain a broken club with a tremendous chip on their shoulder.

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
THEY ARE (Adelaide) A BUNCH OF SOOKS!

THEY DIDN’T COMPLAIN IN 1997 or 1998 DID THEY?

We should have replayed the Premlinary Final then because ... ummm well ... ahhh ... yeahhh ...

Adelaide Sookball Club!

SUCK IT UP ADELAIDE!

YOU CHOKED AND LOST A GRAND FINAL BECAUSE YOU WERE NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
What do you expect from a club who used a "Power Stance" to "intimidate" their opponents?      :wallywink    :rollin    ::)
I guess after their pre-season training camp almost anything seemed like a good idea to them ...     :snidegrin
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!