Author Topic: 2004 draft revisited (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1165 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
2004 draft revisited (Herald-Sun)
« on: November 19, 2018, 12:38:02 AM »
This old chestnut was in the weekend paper:

We [Hawthorn] knew Brett Deledio was going to Richmond with pick one and knew that Scotty Clayton wanted Ryan Griffen at the Bulldogs with pick three.

“We had worked out that Richmond was going to take Jarryd Roughead with pick four which would have meant we couldn’t get he and Buddy at two and five. So we went Roughead at two because our intel had suggested Richmond had gone cold on Franklin because they felt he might struggle with the AFL environment.

“We were keen on Tambling and he had spent a weekend at my place, but my gut feel was we wouldn’t get him and as it turned out Richmond took him with four. We really liked Tambling as a player, but I was very excited when I knew we were going to get Lance Franklin.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/hawthorns-2004-draft-haul-is-one-of-the-best-in-history-jon-anderson-writes/news-story/81daa5bf86d5abce8cbb831d7b93b69d

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Re: 2004 draft revisited (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 01:42:35 PM »
So excited that they took extra time before they picked Franklin?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 09:10:47 AM »

Yeah, garbage isn't it.

Hawks just trying to rewrite history. A number of clubs were very concerned about Franklin's psych testing prior to the draft, and the simple fact is that Hawthorn was one of them.

I think most clubs saw Franklin as having huge potential but were unsure of the risk. Richmond took the safe option, but it didn't work out. So be it.

Our mistake in that draft wasn't so much taking Tambling. Plenty of clubs would have grabbed him, and given we got a first round pick for him when he finally left underscores that.

It was not faking enough interest in Franklin, or conversely not hiding our desire to draft Roughead. Then we compounded it by selecting Meyer, Patterson and Polo to blow our 5 early picks in that draft.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 11:20:15 AM »

Yeah, garbage isn't it.

Hawks just trying to rewrite history. A number of clubs were very concerned about Franklin's psych testing prior to the draft, and the simple fact is that Hawthorn was one of them.

I think most clubs saw Franklin as having huge potential but were unsure of the risk. Richmond took the safe option, but it didn't work out. So be it.

Our mistake in that draft wasn't so much taking Tambling. Plenty of clubs would have grabbed him, and given we got a first round pick for him when he finally left underscores that.

It was not faking enough interest in Franklin, or conversely not hiding our desire to draft Roughead. Then we compounded it by selecting Meyer, Patterson and Polo to blow our 5 early picks in that draft.

So we blew our five early picks? All of them??

Deledio was far from a blow out.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 02:24:01 PM »

It was a horrible draft after Lewis at pick 7.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 09:03:00 PM »

Yeah, garbage isn't it.

So we blew our five early picks? All of them??

Deledio was far from a blow out.

Do you reckon that was a typo, or do you think I really meant it?