Author Topic: the footy show  (Read 227390 times)

Moi

Re: the footy show
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2008, 07:14:18 AM »
This was a rumour last week I heard somewhere on radio, and his replacement was supposed to be Hellier.

bushranger

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2008, 07:53:36 AM »
Trevor Marmalade   was a waste of space his joke were ones like I do, not funny at all.
And I have to admit to no watching it since season 2. And if it got the axe I wouldn't care.
Total waste of time in my mind and I never know how they can always go over time.
That is another reason why I don't care if it goes as well.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 08:24:31 AM »
Yeah no great loss.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 09:48:53 AM »
Well overdue.

bushranger

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 09:50:39 AM »
And to replace him with Hellier would be another major mistake I would think. Both are as dumb as dog sh#t

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 03:21:17 PM »
They discuss the reason why Newman is so crutial to the success of the show is because of the unpredictable 'entertainment' he provides. 'They' discuss how the show is more of a variety show that a football show which is why it has remained popular for such a long period of time but...

...to me I find Newman's antics boring and Brayshaws pathetic attempts at humour plain sad. Street talk has run its race as has the mailbag - I just switch channels during this time. Get rid of Brayshaw - he adds nothing to the show.

Billy is naturally funny so I welcome his continued future involvement but I still think they need some more changes.

In one episode Newman was actually worth watching. He presented a 'rucking lesson' of sorts where he was amazingly insightful and educational. Why couldn't he or other experts, deliver similiar brief insights into the game on subjects such as tagging, leading, shepherding, tackling, creating space, etc etc. I realise a show filled with only this sort of analysis would be too much but a segment of it I feel would add to the show.

What about a segment where someone shows us a side to the game we rarely see such as a pre-game coaches speech, an end-of-season footy trip (edited of course :)), pre-season training, cheer squad (?), sitting in the coaches box, recruiting, etc

What about a few funny 'games/competitions' such as footy baby photos competitions, cheer squad 'footy knowledge' challenges, Footy 'Dares' etc. The old MARstermind, singing comps, etc broke things up a bit.

Having current players on the panel is a waste of time. Perhaps bring one on every week but 3 is a waste of time. I would rather two/three entertaining panelists rather than just 2-dimensional footballers who struggle to read out the teams every week let alone provide interesting or comical banter.

They need to find new humour instead of the same old jokes - the stretcher skit and Gary look-a-likes are redundant and stale.

What the show is lacking is someone like, dare I say it, Eddie who actually provided some insightful credibility to the program. Love him or hate him he broke stories before they hit the paper, provided exclusive interviews and challenged AFL rules and regulations. This is sorely lacking.

Overall I agree the show needs to remain 'entertaining' first, informative next but it is neither at the moment.

Stripes

bushranger

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 03:32:16 PM »
For the footy show to continue I think it should look at the NRL footy show. It is way better, funnier and it still tells you what is going on in the NRL.
So this is what I would tell them what to with the show. And Yes dump Newman as well.
Have to look at this seriously as it is a way better show than our footy show.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2008, 04:27:33 PM »
For the footy show to continue I think it should look at the NRL footy show. It is way better, funnier and it still tells you what is going on in the NRL.
So this is what I would tell them what to with the show. And Yes dump Newman as well.

God no.  Sorry to disagree BR but in my opinion it is one of the most amateurish, boring, non-entertaining shows going around.  Much like the AFL Footy Show really.  We don't get the AFL one until crazy hours so I rarely if ever watch it but as far as watching the NRL one, I would rather watch the test pattern on the Weather Channel than those unintelligent buffoons carrying on in female clothing.  I actually liked a lot of Stripes ideas in his post - you can entertain and still be informative - not every viewer is the complete moron that the respective Footy Shows seem to think.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2008, 04:41:40 PM »
They discuss the reason why Newman is so crutial to the success of the show is because of the unpredictable 'entertainment' he provides. 'They' discuss how the show is more of a variety show that a football show which is why it has remained popular for such a long period of time but...

...to me I find Newman's antics boring and Brayshaws pathetic attempts at humour plain sad. Street talk has run its race as has the mailbag - I just switch channels during this time. Get rid of Brayshaw - he adds nothing to the show.

Billy is naturally funny so I welcome his continued future involvement but I still think they need some more changes.

In one episode Newman was actually worth watching. He presented a 'rucking lesson' of sorts where he was amazingly insightful and educational. Why couldn't he or other experts, deliver similiar brief insights into the game on subjects such as tagging, leading, shepherding, tackling, creating space, etc etc. I realise a show filled with only this sort of analysis would be too much but a segment of it I feel would add to the show.

What about a segment where someone shows us a side to the game we rarely see such as a pre-game coaches speech, an end-of-season footy trip (edited of course :)), pre-season training, cheer squad (?), sitting in the coaches box, recruiting, etc

What about a few funny 'games/competitions' such as footy baby photos competitions, cheer squad 'footy knowledge' challenges, Footy 'Dares' etc. The old MARstermind, singing comps, etc broke things up a bit.

Having current players on the panel is a waste of time. Perhaps bring one on every week but 3 is a waste of time. I would rather two/three entertaining panelists rather than just 2-dimensional footballers who struggle to read out the teams every week let alone provide interesting or comical banter.

They need to find new humour instead of the same old jokes - the stretcher skit and Gary look-a-likes are redundant and stale.

What the show is lacking is someone like, dare I say it, Eddie who actually provided some insightful credibility to the program. Love him or hate him he broke stories before they hit the paper, provided exclusive interviews and challenged AFL rules and regulations. This is sorely lacking.

Overall I agree the show needs to remain 'entertaining' first, informative next but it is neither at the moment.

Stripes
The problem is that if you bring in serious segments then it turns into another Talking Footy or The Couch, there are plenty of those shows already.

The ironic thing is, all my female friends who watch the footy show are only interested in watching it for Sam Newman. For all his crazy antics and chauvenistic ways, they love to watch him do his thing.

I also think that using the NRL footy show model is a mistake, it's terrible and far more of an amateur hour than the AFL show.

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2008, 05:11:56 PM »
Just goes to show you. All my female friends (footy fans) won't watch the show whilst Newman is on.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

bushranger

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2008, 05:12:05 PM »
I will take your two's word on it as I have not watched our footy show since the end of season 1.
I have flicked over to see the dope Newman carry on like a pork chop and I will never watch it while that idiot is on the show.
But I have to say i do like the NRL one much more but never see it right through as it is on here too late.
I just think it is miles ahead of our footy show.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2008, 06:18:57 PM »
They were saying on the radio there's going to be a lot more of Billy and Crawf but even a change of personnel won't save the show. The Internet and SEN mean big stories and team changes are broken live so there's little left over for Thursday night.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2008, 08:23:51 PM »

Stripes

Great post, thanks Stripes.

It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »

The difference between the NRL and AFL is that the blokes on NRL come across as good natured, fun guys. The Footy Show has more of a in your face, smart ars style which becomes very annoying week in, week out.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Ox

« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2008, 09:07:41 PM »

The difference between the NRL and AFL is that the blokes on NRL come across as good natured, fun guys. The Footy Show has more of a in your face, smart ars style which becomes very annoying week in, week out.

Correct !

NRL FS works as a team and appear to enjoy each others company as friends.

AFL FS work as individual identities,competing for what precious,individual adulation they can bestow upon themselves.