Author Topic: Fraser Turner [merged]  (Read 5765 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Fraser Turner [merged]
« on: November 23, 2018, 01:50:51 PM »
Welcome aboard the Tiger train, Fraser.

:)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:08:34 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 58: Fraser Turner
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 01:51:34 PM »
Fraser Turner (TAS)

Height, Weight: 186cm, 75kg

Summary Profile: Outside accumulator who runs all day. A sound decision maker with clean skills who was a consistent performer for the Allies during the Under-18 Championships.

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/25341581/afl-draft-chris-doerre-knightmare-final-full-phantom-draft

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 01:58:23 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 02:09:55 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 02:20:36 PM »
Here is a summary of what Richmond fans can expect to see from Turner on-field...

Club: Clarence
State: Tasmania
Height: 186cm
Weight: 77kg

Fraser first came to notice playing as an over-ager at last year’s U16 National Carnival impressing with his ability to cover the ground. This season he played very consistent football with Tasmania in the Academy series, then with the Allies in the National Championships, where he averaged 24 disposals playing on the wing. After the Nationals, he went back and played senior football with Clarence and performed strongly against men.

Fraser already possesses elite AFL running ability. He uses this running capacity along with his football smarts to accumulate plenty of the ball and use it effectively. At 186cm and 77kg, he is a nice size for an AFL running player.

As one of the youngest players in the draft and being from outside the elite pathway, we feel Fraser has huge development left in his football. His strong running suits the way we play and are very excited for him to join the club.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-11-23/turner-becomes-another-tassie-tiger

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 03:03:53 PM »
AFL Draft Central:

DRAFT ANALYSIS: "An outside runner who has great acceleration and endurance, and hits the scoreboard."

OVERVIEW

The hard-running midfielder from Tasmania has bolted further up draft boards as the season has progressed. Turner’s had a very consistent season and has caught the eye of many recruiters with his endurance and ball use on the wing. He impressed throughout the U18 Carnival for the Allies, with his natural ball-winning ability and scoreboard impact. In the Allies close defeat to Vic Metro, Turner accumulated a team-high 25 disposals, nine marks, three inside 50s and four rebounds. Turner is the perfect player for a club that is looking at finding a natural wingman that works hard and is clean by foot. Along with these attributes, Turner has a great endurance base, and can hit the scoreboard when going forward. He needs to build up his frame in order to have more of a role on teh inside, and also register more effective tackles, but as a whole, the slick Tasmanian mover is able to get free and hurt opponents on the counter attack.

STRENGTHS

Spread
    Acceleration
    Ball-winner
    Endurance
    Skills
    Scoreboard impact

Turner suits the needs of a wingman seamlessly, with his strong aerobic capacity and clean ball use. He runs tirelessly both ways, often finding the ball at both ends of the ground within a short space of time. Turner also has the speed and agility to weave through congestion, along with the ability to burn opponents on the outside. Throughout the National Championships, he was able to drift forward, hitting the scoreboard on numerous occasions, adding another weapon to his game. Players that have great endurance, clean skills and the ability to accumulate with ease, are some of the most valuable assets to a football club in the modern era. His ceiling is as high as anyone in the draft, especially when it comes to outside midfielders. If Turner continues to work hard at improving all areas of his game, he could turn out to be a really valuable footballer at the elite level.

At the National Draft Combine, Turner recorded a 21.4 in the Yo-Yo test (top 10), and a 2.976-second 20m sprint, both very high for the draft class showing he can run in spurts and do it all day long. His kicking efficiency at the National Under 18 Championships did not do him justice, recording a 50 per cent efficiency from his nine kicks per game average. He is more effective than the statistics show, while his hands in traffic are clean, finishing the championships with almost a 90 per cent efficiency by hand. His spread saw him average 5.3 marks per game (ranked equal sixth) and booted almost one goal per game playing predominantly on a wing, just getting forward when possible.

IMPROVEMENTS

Inside game
    Strength
    Tackling

Turner is on the lighter side and will need to develop more physically, but as we have witnessed in the AFL this season, first-year players can still have a big impact immediately, regardless of their size. With Turner spending the majority of his minutes on the outside, he can find it difficult to gain sufficient tackle numbers in games, and this will be one area he will be looking to improve on as he develops. He’ll also be looking to improve on his ability to win the ball on the inside, with the midfielder winning the majority of his possessions uncontested. If he can do that, he will make his game more complete and he’ll become just as damaging in tight, as he is on the outside. Likewise, his tackle numbers at the championships were poor, laying just the one tackle, with Turner used rather for his outside run than his tackling, but it is another area he can build on.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 30-60

SUMMARY

Turner was one of four Tasmanians invited to the AFL National Draft Combine this year, revealing that there are many clubs interested. His endurance, ball use and the potential to turn into a consistent ball-winner that can kick goals, is far too good for clubs to ignore. The midfielder does have improvements to make to his game, but once he is able to bulk up his skinny frame, he can improve the other areas of his game to complement his classy outside ball-winning ability.

http://afldraftcentral.com.au

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 12:59:39 AM »
Turner impressed at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships as a wingman.

"He's one of those guys that every time you watched a carnival game for the Allies or one for Tasmania, if Fraser wasn't getting the footy on the outside with his running, there weren't too many others who could do it," Clarke said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-23/richmond-draft-news

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 02:29:25 AM »
“He was the youngest player picked, so has significant upside. Terrific endurance athlete, works really hard, and he’s one of those guys that’s always there when the ball’s starting to move on the outside . . . power-running into space and running on and getting the footy again. So (he has) real upside and adds to our running mix.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-11-24/draftees-dissection

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 12:07:01 PM »
Tiger draftee Fraser Turner continues Tasmanian connection at Punt Road

November 28, 2018
Jason Phelan
FOX SPORTS

Tasmanian football club Clarence has been good to Richmond before and could be again after the Tigers claimed elite endurance runner Fraser Turner at last week’s AFL draft.

Turner impressed in three senior appearances for the Tasmanian Football League club that produced Richmond legend Royce Hart and premiership star Jack Riewoldt.

The Tigers connection goes further with the senior side coached by Jeromey Webberley, who played 16 AFL games for Richmond between 2010 and 2012.

“Jeromey has been really good to me this year in telling me about his past experiences,” Turner said.

“He’s been through what I’m going through.

“He might have spoken to the club during the year … I think he put in a good word for me.

“They were obviously bigger bodies than me (in the TFL) and I felt that was pretty good exposure for me to be playing.”

Turner, a winger who is considered to already possess AFL-level endurance, was one of three Tasmanians taken at this draft after a lean couple of years.

No player from the Apple Isle was selected in 2016, with only Hugh Dixon, who was picked by Fremantle, going last year.

Turner was selected 58th overall, while Tarryn Thomas (North Melbourne) and Chayce Jones (Adelaide) were top-10 picks.

While his endurance is already elite, Turner is keen to develop his inside game and has time on his side.

“I was born on Boxing Day so I just snuck into this year’s draft,” he said.

“I feel like I’ve got a lot of growth left in me (as a footballer).

“I feel like I improved a lot over this year, so hopefully I can keep improving over the next few years.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/tiger-draftee-fraser-turner-continues-tasmanian-connection-at-punt-road/news-story/c0f09cc11b622f35852d9286d0224344

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 04:32:43 PM »
Could be our Grigg or Houli replacement.Really like this kid,.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 08:28:30 PM »
Could be our Grigg or Houli replacement.Really like this kid,.

The last Tassie wingman that I can recall at the club turned into my favourite all time player.

Over to you Disco Jnr.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 08:59:13 PM »
Big time Webberly fan were ya
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 09:31:45 PM »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 09:47:54 PM »
Will forever be in the history books as the only non-injured player to be subbed off at half-time...... :clapping
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 04:11:05 AM »
Jeremy Webberley … its so easy to forget people sometimes (Id totally forgotten he had played for us)  seems to be doing good things in Tassie. well done to him.