Author Topic: Sydney Stack [merged]  (Read 200846 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Sydney Stack [merged]
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2019, 04:16:38 PM »
Steal of the century.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2019, 07:03:07 PM »
Dio's mail is correct once again....:shh :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2019, 09:14:17 PM »
Made to earn it the hard way and it's a well deserved contract  :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #139 on: February 12, 2019, 06:25:28 AM »
"I'd like to thank the club for giving me the opportunity to come and train, (a) great bunch of blokes and I couldn't picture myself at any other club," Stack said.

"Thanks for making me feel comfortable over the last couple of months and can't wait to play alongside you and have a good time this year."

--------------------------------------------------

“We’re delighted to welcome Sydney to the club, he’s worked really hard to secure a spot on the list, and we know he’ll continue to work hard to develop his football,” Richmond football boss Balme said.

“Sydney’s got great speed, skill, and competes really hard, so we’re excited by what he’ll bring to the team.

“We think that Richmond is a positive environment for him, and we’re pleased with how he’s settling into the club and our football program.”

------------------------------------

Respected recruiter and former Hawthorn list guru Gary Buckenara had the West Australian rated at the 36th best player in last year’s draft pool.

He has been likened to West Coast excitement machine Liam Ryan.

“Stack is a very balanced midfielder who’s hard on the inside and electrifying on the outside,” Buckenara wrote in a Herald Sun column before the draft.

“He’s undersized for an inside midfielder, so I would expect him to spend more time on the outside at AFL level to apply his defensive pressure on the ball carrier.

“Stack can play other roles too, and can hit the scoreboard but his balance between offence and defence is the most impressive aspect he’ll bring to the club that drafts him.

“He’s a project player at his size but there is an x-factor about him that will surely excite clubs in need of this type of player.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-11/stacks-on-speedy-young-mid-officially-becomes-a-tiger
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-has-signed-sydney-stack-as-a-rookie-for-season-2019/news-story/94b715286fb24eb35c7b7a2252a58c36

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2019, 03:50:59 AM »
“Not getting drafted was a big disappointment but the opportunity to come train (at Richmond) with the AFL new rules was terrific and I just really had to earn my spot,” Stack said.

“It got a bit stressful at times as training got harder… but all the hard work paid off and now I’m on the list.

“It’s a fantastic club and I couldn’t be happier.”

Stack, who lived with senior coach Damien Hardwick when he first arrived in Melbourne, said he was instantly welcomed into the Tigerland family.

“The first week I came here the boys really got around me, and got me up and about,” he said.

“(They) just made me feel at home and to see the Club as family.”

On the field, Stack boasts versatility. While he has spent time in the midfield and up forward in the past, he has been training with Richmond’s backline.

“I grew up as a backman so I don’t mind playing back,” he said.

“The senior boys have really helped me with structure and defence.”

He credited Richmond defenders Alex Rance, Dylan Grimes and Nathan Broad for their guidance as he developed the discipline and professionalism required at the top level.

One Tiger who was adamant on Stack's potential at Punt Road Oval was draftee Luke English, who also hails from Perth.

The pair were both named in the Under-18 All-Australian team last year and were teammates at Perth and Western Australia.

“It’s terrific, me and Lukey have been on this journey since we were 15 or 14,” Stack said.

“Just seeing him develop through Perth and the development squad there and playing (WAFL) Colts footy together and State 18s as well…he really worked hard to get (to Richmond).”

The speedster, who is known for his hardness at the ball and competitive nature, said the two-month trial at Tigerland taught him the importance of hard work and persistence.

“I got a bit teary when the coaches talked about my work ethic… it took a long journey to get here,” Stack said.

“It’s not the end, it’s just the beginning of the AFL journey.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-02-11/sydneys-hard-work-stacks-up

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2019, 03:15:54 PM »
stackman_44

Like to thank @richmond_fc for giving me the opportunity to experience the Afl life and also for giving me a contract. Couldn’t be any happier living my dream with a bunch of great blokes, staff and corporates at this amazing football club #Thrilled #AFL

https://www.instagram.com/stackman_44/

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2019, 07:01:22 PM »
When he kicks the sealer in the last quarter of this years granny we can steal the Sydney Swans chant of “Sydney”
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #143 on: February 20, 2019, 07:52:17 PM »
The boys enjoying the #AFLAllStarsSummit in Adelaide 🤙🏽

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2019, 03:16:50 PM »
http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/stack-it-was-a-long-journey-to-get-here/

I like this part:

Growing up in WA, Stack idolised Port Adelaide’s Sam Powell-Pepper, who also played for WA in the under-18 national championships.

The two played for the national team when Stack was in his under-16s year, before Powell-Pepper was drafted to the Power.

#tradetarget :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2019, 05:00:36 PM »
:shh :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #146 on: March 10, 2019, 12:46:15 AM »
The positive impact Sydney Stack has made on Richmond coach Damien Hardwick

The West Australian
Saturday, 9 March 2019 3:21PM

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has sung the praises of Sydney Stack, declaring himself “fortunate” to have lived with the gun WA junior.

Stack stayed with Hardwick and his family over summer, while auditioning for a place on Richmond’s rookie list.

The 19-year-old officially joined the Tigers last month, having allayed fears over his professionalism during a three-month period at Punt Road.

And a stint living with the 2017 premiership mastermind appears to have helped his cause.

“Sydney is incredible,” Hardwick told Fox Footy.

“I hadn’t met him before. I didn’t even interview him at draft camp - I saw an interview - and then when he came into our house he fitted in really well.”

Stack follows in the footsteps of new teammate Daniel Rioli, who recently moved out of Hardwick’s house to buy his own property.

The pair share a few traits on-field; both are clean below their knees, explosive in short bursts and have a knack for pulling off the mercurial.

Away from the game, it’s a different story.

“It’s amazing how different those two boys were. Daniel is very shy and unassuming and Sydney was completely the opposite.

“Both of those lads have had a great impact on our family.”

Stack’s dedication to training has also impressed Hardwick.

Queried over his endurance, the Perth product has pushed himself to the brink of exhaustion during several fitness sessions.

And his efforts might soon yield dividends.

Asked if Stack was ready-made for senior action, Hardwick responded: “Yeah he is, he’s been really good.”

“I must admit, our coaches were saying ‘why haven’t we signed this kid?’ but obviously he had a few things (to work through).”

Stack didn’t feature during Richmond’s 12-point JLT Community Series win over Melbourne last week.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/the-positive-impact-sydney-stack-has-made-on-richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-ng-b881130194z

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2019, 03:29:08 AM »
New Tiger's rags to riches story

Jon Ralph,
Herald Sun
5 April 2019

Sydney Stack will complete a rags to riches story which seemed unlikely as recently as three months ago when he debuts for Richmond against GWS this weekend.

The talented WA teenager was overlooked in both the national and rookie drafts last year, but earned a supplementary rookie listing at Richmond in February.

Injuries to key personnel including Alex Rance and Jack Riewoldt and Dylan Grimes' suspension have opened the door for Stack to become one of the bolters of the year.

In February, Stack’s manager Paul Peos paid tribute to Richmond coach Damien Hardwick for opening his family home to the gifted WA product.

The Herald Sun revealed that Carlton also showed strong late interest in rookie-listing the young indigenous talent.

Stack was ranked just outside Champion Data’s top-30 players in last year’s national draft talent pool but was shunned by all 18 clubs.

Stack lived with former West Coast and Brisbane Bears footballer Peos at stages this year after being cast out of the AFL Academy and WA state academy.

He also missed the first game of the Under-18 championships for over-celebrating his birthday.

But Peos said the penny finally dropped for 179cm Stack when he was overlooked by every club at the draft because of his off-field concerns.

He boarded with the Hardwicks pre-Christmas and for a week in January and is expected to live with development coach Xavier Clarke this year as he attempts to win a contract past the one-year rookie deal.

Stack said last year he used football as an escape after growing up around violence and lacking stability for most of his childhood.

“He is a very good story,” Peos said.

“There have been a mountain of challenges along the way for Sydney since he’s been a young boy.

“He’s a pretty street-smart kid and for a long time he was making decisions on the run.

“And the best he could possibly do was keep himself fed and sheltered and participating in the sport he loved.

“He started the year in my house, he was turfed from the AIS (AFL Academy) and turfed from the state academy and he lost his licence early in the piece after just getting hold of it. “He was in a pretty low spot. And we put a few things in place and he slowly worked to get himself back in the state academy.

“He didn’t play the first game of the championships but from then onwards his football ability was clearly on show.”

Stack was an Under-18 All-Australian and averaged 138 rankings points per game in 11 WA Colts games, averaging 24 disposals, 15 contested possessions and eight tackles.

But he did not prepare well physically for the AFL combine and with Peos believing some clubs had interviewed him to confirm reasons to overlook him, he knew Stack might be in trouble.
The Tigers have signed Stack as a rookie. Picture: Getty Images

“Some principal members of his family were with him on draft day at the Perth football club and it would have been many years since those members of Syd’s family were all in the same room together,” Peos says.

“Late in the piece that night he held his head up high but he was pretty embarrassed. His sporting ability had always been able to get him in the team and get him loved and for the first time ever he realised that it wasn’t going to.

“I spoke to (Richmond list boss) Blair Hartley late on draft day and there was a potential consideration for a train-on option and to come into Damien’s house leading up to Christmas.”

Stack found the fitness work exhausting — but thrived on the match practice and scrimmages.

“He was pretty much throwing up every day, that was the feedback,” Peos said.

“He is a good kid, easy to like and pretty talkative and friendly. There is no bad streak in Sydney and Damien got the chance to understand him a lot better.

“Mostly he had got through on his charm but he had realised this was almost the last window for him.

“The Under-18s game came around after his birthday party the week before and he came back after his party with a tooth missing.

“He had to face a team sanction where the players said he shouldn’t be included so he hasn’t done it perfectly.

“It’s not a standard upbringing for a young kid coming through but he worked out a way to get by.”
Sydney Stack has been training with Richmond since December. Picture: Michael Klein

Richmond football boss Neil Balme said Stack had worked hard to win his spot on the Tigers list.

“We’re delighted to welcome Sydney to the Club, he’s worked really hard to secure a spot on the list, and we know he’ll continue to work hard to develop his football,” Balme said.

“Sydney’s got great speed, skill, and competes really hard, so we’re excited by what he’ll bring to the team.”

Respected recruiter and former Hawthorn list guru Gary Buckenara had the West Australian rated at the 36th best player in last year’s draft pool.

He has been likened to West Coast excitement machine Liam Ryan.

“Stack is a very balanced midfielder who’s hard on the inside and electrifying on the outside,” Buckenara wrote in a Herald Sun column before the draft.

“He’s undersized for an inside midfielder, so I would expect him to spend more time on the outside at AFL level to apply his defensive pressure on the ball carrier.

“Stack can play other roles too, and can hit the scoreboard but his balance between offence and defence is the most impressive aspect he’ll bring to the club that drafts him.

“He’s a project player at his size but there is an x-factor about him that will surely excite clubs in need of this type of player.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-has-signed-sydney-stack-as-a-rookie-for-season-2019/news-story/94b715286fb24eb35c7b7a2252a58c36

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2019, 12:31:46 PM »
Barrett saying something positive about us. Better frame it!  :laugh:

IF ... there's one thing we really like ...

THEN ... it's a talented kid getting a chance after a serious reality check. Sydney Stack gets his chance against the Giants.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-05/sliding-doors-round-three

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2019, 12:37:23 PM »
The young Tiger who reminds Hardwick of Byron Pickett

By SEN
5 April 2019

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick sees a bit of Byron Pickett in a young Tiger.

Sydney Stack will make his AFL debut in the Round 3 clash with GWS on Saturday after impressing the Tigers coaching staff.

Teenager Stack was overlooked in the 2018 national and rookie drafts but won a spot on Richmond’s list via the pre-season supplemental selection period (SSP) and will now run out at the elite level for the first time.

Hardwick won the 2004 premiership alongside the physical and skilful Pickett at Port Adelaide and feels there is a bit of the Norm Smith Medallist in new Tiger Stack.

"I played with a guy, Byron Pickett, and he reminds me a little bit of him,” Hardwick told AFL.com.au.

"He is genuinely tough and he's excited our coaches.

"With a little bit of refinement, I think he's got a really long career ahead of him, which is exciting.

"It's a great thing our club has done in giving this kid a chance, because the easy thing to do is to sweep him aside."

Stack spent time living with his new coach earlier this year and the Western Australian has been described as a “revelation” since gaining an opportunity with the 2017 premiers.

"Our recruiting team talked about Sydney and the talent he had and where they ranked him in the draft, and there were obviously some question marks with regard to 'Could he cope in the AFL environment?'," Hardwick added.

"I thought, 'Well, the only way we're going to be sold on this is if I feel he can cope'. So we opened up our home again.

"I've never been more surprised. I'd never met Sydney. I saw an interview with him on our database and then when he arrived… I was expecting the complete opposite.

"(I was surprised at) how engaging he was and how embracing he was of the family and I just thought, 'Who is this kid?' – he's been a revelation."

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/04/04/the-young-tiger-who-reminds-hardwick-of-byron-pickett/