Author Topic: Sydney Stack [merged]  (Read 200792 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Sydney Stack [merged]
« Reply #435 on: September 19, 2019, 12:25:06 PM »
Exciting youngster Sydney Stack is firming to play in the VFL Grand Final on Sunday for Richmond, needing to get through training on Friday before being cleared to play.

He has made a rapid recovery from the ankle injury which looked set to end his spectacular debut season, but Hardwick couldn't be drawn on whether he would select Stack for the Grand Final if the Tigers progress.

"I think I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. He's a great player, he's a big-game player. But he's also coming off a pretty significant injury as well, so we'll cross our fingers and hope he gets through," he said.

"If we get to make that decision it's a good one [we have] to make."

Source: AFL website

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #436 on: September 22, 2019, 11:33:51 PM »
Versatile youngster Sydney Stack is at longs odds to return to the Tigers' line-up after playing in VFL Grand Final triumph on Sunday, just five weeks after undergoing surgery for a right syndesmosis injury. In limited game time, Stack had six touches and appeared to tweak the same ankle but returned to the field.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-23/injury-wrap-huge-grand-final-calls-loom-for-tigers-giants

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #437 on: September 23, 2019, 02:38:22 AM »
We learnt last year, don’t play injured players

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #438 on: September 23, 2019, 05:04:30 AM »
I was all for Sydney having va crack but he cant play based on what I saw yesterday,

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #439 on: September 23, 2019, 12:46:53 PM »
Pickett & even RCD would have a greater chance of playing than he does... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #440 on: September 23, 2019, 03:20:31 PM »
zero chance of playing. Was there yesterday and he looked slow and had a limp.

bad luck he got injured, but a chance for pickett, kmac or ross it seems

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #441 on: November 18, 2019, 12:17:10 AM »
Tigers' left-field contract bonus to keep Sydney Stack in shape pays dividends

Jon Ralph
Herald-Sun
18 November 2019

One of a number of Tigers who will be desperate to win an elusive premiership, Rising Star contender Sydney Stack just failed in his bid to get back into the side this year after ankle surgery.

The Herald Sun revealed this year that the Tigers had inserted an incentive into his contract to reward a return from the off-season in good condition.

He nearly blew his chance at AFL stardom the previous year when he turned up at the draft camp in poor physical shape, with the Tigers eventually rookie-listing him after a summer at Punt Rd.

Balme said it was list manager Blair Hartley’s decision to consider the clause.

Chelsea EPL manager Frank Lampart’s series of fines for even minor infractions were leaked last week, but the Tigers prefer to reward players instead of penalising them.

“We keep helping him and he has got a little bit of work to do (with his fitness) but he has come back strong,” Balme said of Stack.

“We made a positive contract arrangement with him to come back and he can get a bonus if he meets (fitness targets).”

The Tigers felt incentivising fitness targets was a healthier way of ensuring Stack stayed fit, with Stack likely to at some stage become a full-time midfielder.

Source: Herald-Sun

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #442 on: November 22, 2019, 02:01:22 PM »
The Data Game: Why a new Tiger's season was truly remarkable

Sydney Stack's impact at both ends of the ground was evident in a premiership year.

Watch here: https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-11-20/the-data-game-why-a-new-tigers-season-was-truly-remarkable

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #443 on: November 28, 2019, 07:05:35 AM »
I wonder if Stack earned his incentive?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #444 on: December 02, 2019, 01:37:21 PM »
I wonder if Stack earned his incentive?
He's still in WA for a funeral.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #445 on: December 02, 2019, 06:38:45 PM »
How Sydney Stack paid tribute to AFL "legends"

By Andrew Slevison
SEN
2 Dec 2019

In his debut season, Richmond’s Sydney Stack was involved in a moment that created plenty of debate.

The talented Western Australian youngster, of Noongar heritage, was playing just his 11th AFL game against the Adelaide Crows when he made the decision to congratulate direct opponent Eddie Betts who had moments prior kicked a stunning goal at the Adelaide Oval.

The embrace between the two was met with differing opinions in the media and general public but to Stack, it was simply his way of paying tribute to one of the game’s best indigenous players.

He did something similar with Geelong’s Gary Ablett the week before the Betts interaction which he explained to Konrad Marshall in Stronger & Bolder - Inside the 2019 AFL Finals Series wth Richmond.

“I’m a Noongar, and Noongars are very competitive,” Stack said when referencing the Betts moment.

“But we all want to bring one another up, and help. We grow up playing against the older brothers and cousins, and get better because they don’t take it easy on us. Eddie’s not a Noongar, but I still see him as a leader and an elder.

“And I’m still in disbelief that I’m playing footy among these legends. We were playing Geelong the other week and I ran past Gary Ablett Junior, and I just tapped him on the back and said, ‘You’re a legend mate’, even though we were down.

“I feel like I’ve gotta let these stars know that I’m excited to be there. Footy is my job now, and I treat it that way, but I don’t feel it that way. So, shaking Eddie’s hand - that’s just about respect.

“Who knows when he’s going to stop playing footy? It was a privilege to play against such a legend like that. I felt honoured.”

After he was picked up by the Tigers via the supplemental selection period, Stack went on to play 17 games in his first season at the elite level, dazzling with his deft skills and delivering destruction with his toughness.

Stack, 19, was a Rising Star nominee, was named Richmond’s best first-year player and won the VFL premiership with the Tigers in his debut season in the yellow and black after he was overlooked in the national and rookie drafts.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/12/02/how-sydney-stack-paid-tribute-to-afl-legends/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #446 on: December 05, 2019, 02:40:28 AM »

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #447 on: December 05, 2019, 10:38:50 AM »
Oh man this melts my heart. Go stack and conti!

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #449 on: December 05, 2019, 07:23:32 PM »
half his luck
Lots of people name their swords......