Author Topic: Ex-Tiger Ty Zantuck’s damages claim [merged]  (Read 11469 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Zantuck case puts every club ‘on notice’: Dr Larkins (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2018, 02:53:32 AM »
Zantuck case puts every club ‘on notice’: Dr Larkins

Michael Warner,
Herald Sun
15 December 2018

A top medico says rules allowing AFL clubs to dispose of player medical records after seven seasons are fraught with danger.

Leading sports physician Dr Peter Larkins said professional sporting clubs needed stricter record-keeping systems “in the current climate of litigation and concussion”.

A damages claim launched by former Tiger Ty Zantuck over a spree of painkilling jabs administered to him between 2001-03 has been hampered by the absence of any medical records at Punt Rd prior to 2004.

“I think every club should be put on notice,” Larkins said on Friday.

“Clubs and club doctors need to have a system in place — and we’re not talking about thousands of files here, we’re only talking about dozens of files — where those records are kept for much longer than the standard person in the street who has had a flu shot at a general practice.

“The law of the medical world for a patient is seven years, but AFL is a bit of a different circumstance because of the way things go with post-career problems, whether it’s knees or hips or an aggrieved player.

“When it comes to the head, who knows what sort of cases are going to be brought against the AFL over the next decade.

“So I’m surprised that clubs aren’t more in tune with that.

“There are many current examples of AFL players who have had multiple surgeries or injury-plagued careers, and I suspect clubs would be conscious of potential disability claims from them later in life, so records must be thorough and preserved.”

Larkins said record-keeping across the AFL had improved in recent years.

“When I started in footy, medical records at clubs were hopeless. A lot of footy club consultations were held in the carpark or on the ground,” Larkins said.

“Some clubs were really good at records, but some were awful compared to what we would do in our own office.

“Many years ago some clubs started realising with people suing over ground surfaces and other things, that they needed to have evidence of the injuries.

“But it’s likely we need to have a different set of rules for professional sport.

“Most doctors would be keeping good records today.”

Larkins declined to discuss the Zantuck issue but said “the concept of blocking pain and throwing needles was rampant in the 1990s”.

“I’ve always been very careful talking about medical practises at AFL level. It’s really front-line medicine and there are lots of compromises made in sport,” he said.

“It’s a different world and there’s still a very fine line with doctors trying to keep blokes on the park, and you’ve got to remember some of the players are pushing for this, too.

“It’s often the player requesting it: ‘Can you put something in my ankle at half time? Can you put something in my shoulder?’

“So in the current environment the doctor has to consent that and record it to protect himself.

“And in 2018 that should be in a medical record. But was it in a medical record in 2000? Maybe not.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-clubs-need-stricter-recordkeeping-systems-for-player-medical-files-dr-peter-larkins-says/news-story/6b26704d936aad527cc4d2f3bf09e069

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Ex-Tiger Ty Zantuck’s damages bid hits ‘laughable’ snag (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2018, 07:09:29 PM »
Some players can go to extraordinary lengths to keep their AFL dream alive even if it puts their post-footy quality of life at risk. IIRC, didn't Kel Moore have his hip surgically rearranged to try and overcome persistent injury (?). If you go back further in time, Royce's knees were shot by the end of his career and he was still a young man in his late 20s. Footy is a brutal game on the body, especially at the highest level.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 07:56:43 AM »
I would think he'd be better of suing the AFL rather than Richmond.

I think he would have to prove that our practices were significantly different to the common practice of clubs at the time, and that in doing so we breached a duty of care to the point of negligence.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 01:24:10 PM »
I would think he'd be better of suing the AFL rather than Richmond.

I think he would have to prove that our practices were significantly different to the common practice of clubs at the time, and that in doing so we breached a duty of care to the point of negligence.

His lawyer was on SEN last week when the story was in the HUN

He suing both, AFL & Richmond
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 03:47:36 PM »
How come he waited so long? wouldn't be because rfc is now a successful club?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2018, 04:47:48 PM »
I wouldn't give him much chance of winning.....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 06:11:05 PM »
How come he waited so long? wouldn't be because rfc is now a successful club?
No, wouldn't imagine that has anything to do with it, to be honest.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Ex-Tiger Ty Zantuck’s damages claim [merged]
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2021, 01:27:49 PM »
This has hit the papers again.

‘Permanent pain’: Tigers hit with damages claim over jabs

A former Richmond player is battling pain and depression, allegedly due to a series of painkilling jabs administered by the club.

Paywall: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/richmond-hit-with-major-damages-claim-by-former-tiger-ty-zantuck/news-story/40a63ca07a90c3e7eac661b36fa809e4

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ty Zantuck’s court case against Richmond looming as a test case for injured footballers

Michael Warner
The Australian
APRIL 23, 2021

A top sports medico says the Ty Zantuck Supreme Court damages claim against Richmond could open the floodgates for litigation against AFL clubs.

Lawyers for Zantuck, 39, lodged a statement of claim on Wednesday night alleging he received “15-20 epidurals” between 2002 and 2004 in a bid to get him on the field despite suffering a debilitating back injury.

He has since endured 17 operations on his spine, can no longer work and is battling permanent pain and depression.

It is understood the damages being sought against the Tigers and three club-affiliated doctors are in excess of $1 million.

Dr Peter Larkins said the verdict in the Zantuck case loomed as a “great test case” for the game.

“There could be an absolute Pandora’s box of litigation against football clubs opened up here,” Larkins said.

“There are many players going back over the last 20 years who now have chronic medical conditions — it might be a hip, it might be a knee or their back.

“I’m not surprised this is happening because I think footy players are now realising that there could be a way of suing doctors — but you’ve got to be shown to be negligent or doing something that is out of step with your peers.

“You’ve got to look at what was contemporary, accepted treatment at the time.”

Larkins said epidurals were common in football, but not usually within one or two days of a game.

“And that’s what Zantuck has got to prove — that what Richmond were doing was out of step with what other clubs were doing,” he said.

“If he gets up and can prove that for some reason that treatment should not have been done, you’ll have 10 other blokes saying, ‘Well, hang on. I’ve got a chronic back too and I’m now 50 and that is what happened to me? Why can’t I be successful?’.”

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick said at a press conference on Thursday it was hard for him to make comment because the matter was before courts.

“But what I will say is no people look after the players better than AFL doctors,” he said.

“I know our doctors here, and I have incredible support for them. They will not put our players at risk at any stage.

“They look after the health and wellbeing of our players as well as anyone.

“With concussion, as we see at the moment, doctors don’t make any questions, at the end of the day they do what’s required to look after the health and wellbeing of player safety, so from that point of view all I can do is support the AFL medical industry and say they do a wonderful job.”

Larkins said he knew of another star player who once received an epidural on the morning of a game.

“I’m serious. Can you believe that? They are an accepted, effective treatment of back pain, but most people will lie in bed for two days afterwards,” he said.

“It’s the right treatment for the right injury but if you have an epidural, in my opinion, you shouldn’t be playing that week — perhaps even a week later.

“So if you reckon concussion needs a 12-day rule, if your back is so bad with pain and nerve pain that you are having an epidural — then the time frame for it to work is 7-10 days, and then you should train lightly.”

Zantuck, who played 68 games for Richmond and another nine at Essendon in 2005, has previously warned the AFL’s next generation of players to steer clear of painkilling injections at all costs.

“I’ve laid in hospital for weeks at a time on ketamine and morphine drips and that can just drain the life out of you,” the father of two told the Herald Sun in 2018.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/ty-zantucks-court-case-against-richmond-looming-as-a-test-case-for-injured-footballers/news-story/465d0934d426df2ff591a31389702c14

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2021, 04:57:23 PM »
Went to Essendon after Richmond went onto a number of suburban clubs for years afterwards, played game after game ... sorry but I find it hard to fathom how he blames Richmond. If he was that bad why did he go to Essendon? Why did he continue for years in suburban football which is rough rugged footy at best. How do we not know if he injured himself at those suburban clubs or made his injurues worse. He made tbe decisions to play which means he felt and his clubs felt he was fit to play a high contact sport. He has no case in my opinion.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2021, 07:54:05 PM »
Great points Ramps, Case closed.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2021, 08:39:35 PM »
Because Essendon and the suburban clubs are all poor as feck.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Former Tiger Ty Zantuck seeks to lift damages bid with concussion claim (Age)
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2021, 03:37:04 PM »
Former Tiger seeks to lift damages bid with concussion claim

Jon Pierik
The Age
October 22, 2021 — 12.06pm

A former Richmond footballer is pushing to heighten his legal case against the club, claiming he suffered up to 30 concussions which have led to a range of neurological disorders and several suicide attempts.

In a week when state coroner Judge John Cain’s comments that he intended to embrace limited parameters in the investigation into the death of Shane Tuck left former AFL players angry and upset, it has emerged that another Tiger, Ty Zantuck, has filed an amended claim in the Victorian Supreme Court detailing how he has been left impaired by a number of serious head knocks.

But whether the amended claim, filed out of time, and in addition to the earlier allegations that he was left with chronic orthopaedic and back injuries, is accepted won’t be decided by the court until a hearing on November 16.

Zantuck, who played 68 games for the Tigers between 2000 and 2004, is already suing the Tigers and three former and current doctors, alleging they were negligent and breached their duty of care in the treatment of a back injury that he claims left him permanently injured, depressed and prompted him to attempt suicide.

The Tigers and the three doctors have all denied the original orthopaedic claims made by Zantuck. Sources close to Zantuck expect the Tigers, criticised by his lawyer Greg Griffin for not having detailed medical records from the time, to fight having the amended claim added to Zantuck’s earlier case. The Tigers did not wish to comment on the amended claim when contacted by The Age.

Former Richmond doctor Chris Bradshaw, current club doctor Greg Hickey and another doctor Vincent Healey have all denied the original allegation of negligence, along with the Tigers. Zantuck claims the back injury, the fall-out from it and the impact of the epidural injections left him medically unfit to train and play AFL football.

Among the statements lodged by the defence to Zantuck’s initial claim, the Tigers deny “that any act or omission on its part caused injury, loss or damage to the plaintiff”. Hickey denied that between January 2004 and August 2004 Zantuck had back pain which “incapacitated” him playing football, while Bradshaw said at all times he acted professionally as a doctor. Healey denied any negligence.

But the club and doctors are now facing more claims from lawyer Greg Griffin and Zantuck that the latter has short-term memory loss, is at risk of early onset dementia and is at greater risk of CTE, a degenerative brain disease.

“Mr Zantuck was drafted to RFC at 17 years old and recalls that the football he played in his teens leading up to his time at the RFC was relatively low contact,” the amended statement, seen by The Age, says.

“He does not recall significant head knocks or concussions before he commenced playing for RFC in 2000. Mr Zantuck estimates that he suffered between 20-30 concussions during his employment at RFC between 2000-04.”

Griffin and his team have analysed footage of many of Zantuck’s matches, and point out the serious knocks they believe he had in round 21, 2002, round one, 2003 and round 12, 2003.

“The clips of Mr Zantuck from round 1 played on 28 March 2003 are particularly relevant,” the statement says, adding he had suffered a broken cheek bone on February 13, 2003 in a non-football incident which required the insertion of a plate.

“Some six weeks after that surgery, Mr Zantuck suffered in round 1 what appears to be two serous head knocks to the side of his face the subject of the surgery.

“Of further evidence is that notwithstanding the medical advice given to RFC and Mr Zantuck that he should not engage in physical training or play competitive football for a period of six weeks after the broken cheek bone, he returned to running and swimming and then competitive training within weeks of the surgery thereby not complying with the medical advice he had received.

“RFC and the medical staff were aware of the time period in which Mr Zantuck should have not engaged in these activities.”

Dr Rowena Mobbs, a consultant neurologist, has compiled Zantuck’s detailed medical history which is included in the updated statement of claim.

In summary, it is claimed he suffers sensitised back pain, severe neck pain, chronic pain syndrome, major depressive disorder “with co-morbid anxiety and a history of suicide attempts”, post-traumatic stress disorder and a range of neurological disorders.

These include “short-term memory loss, the risk of early onset of dementia … an increased risk of the onset of CTE, an inability to control his temper over issues that previously were minor and of no consequence … ”

Zantuck also played nine matches for Essendon in 2005 but “does not recall any significant collisions or head knocks during his time at Essendon”.

In April, Griffin filed documents stating Zantuck was diagnosed with a back injury as a result of the club’s weight training and running program in December 2001 or January 2002. He had asked not to attend a training camp in the Grampians where players were due to hike with a 30-kilogram backpack.

Zantuck’s request was denied but the weight of his bag was cut to 15 kg.

He says he soon suffered back spasms, was diagnosed with a slipped disc and says he was injected with local anaesthetic. He says he then had between 15 and 20 epidural injections during the 2003 and 2004 seasons.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/former-tiger-seeks-to-lift-damages-bid-with-concussion-claim-20211021-p5920m.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2021, 06:41:24 PM »
Reported in the HeraldSun too.

Ex-Tiger’s startling concussion claim in lawsuit

Former Tiger Ty Zantuck has alleged he suffered up to 30 concussions during his five-year Richmond career as he seeks damages from the Tigers in court.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/shane-tuck-cte-case-lawyers-release-more-than-seven-minutes-of-footage-of-head-knocks-suffered-by-the-late-tiger/news-story/b7d4e02dc0e36df241e9b88712fe23a2

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2021, 07:11:54 PM »
30 concussions lol give me a break

This guy has a case of the sads because he was a spud and didn't make it