Author Topic: Dusty ready to roar as he bonds with a tiger (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1096 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dusty ready to roar as he bonds with a tiger (Herald-Sun)
« on: January 20, 2019, 12:27:36 AM »
Dusty ready to roar as he bonds with a tiger

Fiona Byrne,
Sunday Herald Sun
20 Jan 2019

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin struggled with motivation last year but says he is “ready to attack” 2019 after learning a lot about himself.

Martin felt “weird” last year after a blockbuster 2017, which included winning the premiership and the Brownlow Medal.

“You live and you learn,” Martin said, as he revealed his new campaign for Bonds.

“You spend your whole life trying to achieve all your dreams and I was fortunate enough to win the premiership and have some individual success.

“2018 was a weird feeling (for me). Early in the year. I was like, ‘I don’t know what is next’.”

Martin said he had realised what was truly important in life.

“You think you can win all these things and it is going to make you happy, but the reality is the things that make you happy are your friends and your family and all those kind of things.

“Don’t get me wrong, it is cool to win those things, but it does not have a lot of meaning. “Relationships with my friends and family is what you realise are the most important.

“I am always a pretty motivated person, but subconsciously you might kind of go through the motions a little bit.”

Martin made the comments as he revealed his new — and most dangerous — campaign for Bonds in which he faces off, wearing only jungle print undies, with a fully grown Tiger.

“Not many people can say they stood next to a tiger in their undies,” he said.

“I was lucky enough to get out of there unscathed.”

The Tigers champion spent much of the AFL off-season travelling, starting with a Las Vegas adventure with former Collingwood star Dane Swan, followed by a trip with mates to South America.

“I spent some time in Colombia, then New Zealand with Dad, and I’ve just been to Bali over Christmas. I trained with a local side the Bali Geckos.

The 27-year-old said he was keen to do his bit for the Tigers in 2019 and felt fighting fit.

“Team success is number one for me and I just want to do my bit for the side and play consistent footy at a high level for the season and help my teammates around me,’’ he said.

Dustin Martin and Pi the tiger behind the scenes for the Bonds campaign. Picture: Facebook

Dustin Martin training with the Bali Geckos football club. Picture: Facebook/Bali Geckos

Dustin Martin on his Christmas break in Bali. Picture: Instagram/@dustinlmartin

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/dustin-martin-ready-to-roar-for-richmond-as-he-bonds-with-a-tiger/news-story/67f353cbc80cc53302adf1e519659879

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dusty ready to roar as he bonds with a tiger (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 08:31:31 AM »
Bring it on Dusty
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dusty ready to roar as he bonds with a tiger (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 01:23:17 AM »
48. DUSTY MARTIN WITH THE FIRE IN THE BELLY AGAIN

He admitted last week it was tough to find the motivation in 2018, having achieved so much the year before. If that doesn’t do it, his below-par performance on one leg in the prelim surely will. He doesn’t love the media, but would love to hear what makes him tick this year too.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/50-reasons-to-get-excited-about-the-2019-afl-season/news-story/d1eab5571f961070c09c13b9f7376822