Author Topic: Can we win the flag this year?  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Can we win the flag this year?
« on: January 30, 2019, 11:19:12 PM »
Last year was a golden opportunity to snaffle a flag and for various reasons it went belly up. The point of the thread isn’t to moan about that but now speculate if that will lead us to the holy grail this year. There are seemingly more obstacles this year - another year of teams working on our game plan, rule changes that will clearly help the game plan of other clubs - who should be in contention - along with another year of being the “hunted”. I won’t name them all but year 3 has been the pivotal year of the downfall for a number of clubs who have dominated and then just dropped away - Essendon in 2001, Carlton in 1996, Port in 2005, Eagles in 2007 to name a few where other clubs discover a way where “it can bleed”.

On the flip side, we have a number of players who should show upside in their development - given their age and attitude.
I have a feeling that Dusty just might return to the sublime levels of 2017 and T Lynch is a simply monumental pick up for the club.

So where are we at? Feeling good or uneasy?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Can we win the flag this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 01:14:57 AM »
Barring a sway of long-term injuries to our stars, I don't see us falling away dramatically. The age profile of our list is still in its prime to challenge. Essendon 2002 was an aging list that began back with their 1993 baby bombers premiership. That group played finals for a decade and peaked between 1999-2001. They really blew two flags either side of their 2000 flag. Likewise Port were a top side for 4 years 2001-4 but choked 3 times before finally saluting. After that they fell away due to age. Eagles 2007 had a well reported culture problem. Carlton cheated before finally getting caught - enough said.

As far as flag, it's in the guts/clearances where we will have to improve to seriously challenge. Especially, now with the 6-6-6 rule. Sides could easily get a run on and slam on goals in quick succession if you get beaten in the centre clearances. Our ruck stocks are still highly dependent on Nank and we haven't added any quality experienced mids to improve our midfield depth. It's yet to be seen if Weller is any improvement on Miles, Lloyd and the other fringe players we let go. So we are going to be reliant on development within from our youngsters to step up to compliment our existing top tier mids.

Up forward, we've added Lynch so hopefully that clicks quickly and we are more efficient in converting our longer-kick/bombs under pressure inside forward 50 into marks and goals. I also think we lairised too much once inside F50 trying to go for that extra possession so we could kick goals from 20m out. It costs us a couple of goals per game. It's great to want to be unselfish but at times our smalls should do the straightforward obvious thing and just kick the ball between the two big posts right in front of them.

I don't see us as premiership favourite as the bookies do based on the above deficiencies and think we'll finish in the finals but fall short again  :-\. However, fix those two above areas and I think with the extra motivation from that PF defeat we then become a big show. I'm sure if we are in the hunt then we'll make sure this year we are collectively hitting our peak intensity as we hit September.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 01:20:27 AM »
No one beats us at the MCG unless Dusty is a gimp and Dave Astbury spends a week pooting his pants.

Collingwood or Richmond wins next years Grand Final. Outside chance of West Coast or GWS finally putting it together, but Tigs and Pies are the favs....:shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 02:02:45 AM »
Yes. Undefeated and in a canter. :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 06:40:00 AM »
Simple answer is yes

In 2017 we clicked at the end and in finals and the belief in the team and each other went over the top (similar to the Pies last year)

2018 we carried the new found belief into the season and we were dominate for a great part of it. We stumbled when the Pies went up a gear but that does not wipe the other 19 wins we had. We also had our best percentage since 1980 and we have added Lynch.

More of the same for 2019 and hold ourselves together better at the end and make sure we finish top 4. Then we are set and it is just how strong our mind set is.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 08:43:51 AM »
No one beats us at the MCG unless Dusty is a gimp and Dave Astbury spends a week pooting his pants.

Collingwood or Richmond wins next years Grand Final. Outside chance of West Coast or GWS finally putting it together, but Tigs and Pies are the favs....:shh

I personally think Collingwood massively over achieved last year. They have a gun mid field with a number of match winners but someoftheir key players are starting to get that banged up look (Sidebottom and Pendlebury), they look weak at the back and have a very poor forward line. If they lose Grundy, they are dead in the water. My gut feel is the Pies will not even be top 4.

I expect both the Bombers and Demons to climb into the Top 4 with us, and I think GWS with a reasonable draw get in as well.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 08:56:52 AM »
Yes

Skunks got on a roll like us but we owned them until that game, they will fall away...Thanks stuff that didnt win it so they cant say poo, otherwise I will just congradulate them on thier preliminaryship wankers

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 09:10:48 AM »
Can we win the flag this year? Yes
Will we win the flag this year? No
We are stuffed in the ruck.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 09:57:41 AM »

I personally think Collingwood massively over achieved last year. They have a gun mid field with a number of match winners but someoftheir key players are starting to get that banged up look (Sidebottom and Pendlebury), they look weak at the back and have a very poor forward line. If they lose Grundy, they are dead in the water. My gut feel is the Pies will not even be top 4.

I expect both the Bombers and Demons to climb into the Top 4 with us, and I think GWS with a reasonable draw get in as well.

I agree Bombers could go well.
Disagree that Sidebottom looks banged up. He is a murderer. Absolute gun. Their forward isn't very poor...DeGoey is a superstar and that Cox guy actually plays good footy at times. Throw Jamie Elliot into the mix and it's actually pretty damn decent.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 01:00:11 PM »
Like any year a few things will have to go our way. Nank, Martin, Cotch, Riewoldt and Rance will need to stay fit if we are any chance. On the topic of Rance I think he will need to recapture his 2015-2017 form for us to not get punished if we lose successive centre clearances but I think he might excel with the new rules in a less congested D50 arc purely from his athleticism.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 01:34:05 PM »
Can we win the flag? Absolutely, yes

Will we it? I'll get back to you  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 12:15:26 PM »
We'll be a major force but as we all know premierships are hard to win. It's all about playing the best football in September.
Top 4 minimum.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 02:41:02 PM »

I agree Bombers could go well.
Disagree that Sidebottom looks banged up. He is a murderer. Absolute gun. Their forward isn't very poor...DeGoey is a superstar and that Cox guy actually plays good footy at times. Throw Jamie Elliot into the mix and it's actually pretty damn decent.

Sidebottom is an elite player and a match winner no doubt. But he is 28 and I reckon he is starting to slowdown a bit. Pendlebury is 31.

Collingwood remind me of the Tigers in 2002.