Author Topic: The "Ifs", "Buts" and Other Stuff - Richmond (themongrelpunt)  (Read 443 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The "Ifs", "Buts" and Other Stuff - Richmond (themongrelpunt)
« on: February 02, 2019, 11:39:45 AM »
The "Ifs", "Buts" and Other Stuff - Richmond

HB Meyers
themongrelpunt.com
Feb 2, 2019

But I am not here to stalk Richmond as though I want to skin them – I’m here to praise the team that were far and away the best team in the game for 22 rounds in 2018. But that also means I am here to remind you that despite all the talent, the best home and away season, all the confidence in the world, and a game plan that saw them roll over Collingwood twice… they capitulated when it mattered most.

It was a wasted season for the Tigers. No matter which way you twist or turn it, the Tigers’ 2018 has to be deemed a failure. Coming off a drought-breaking flag, the sky was the limit for them, but on Friday September 21st, the sky seemed to fall on the Tigers as Mason Cox took over a game in a fashion none of us thought he was capable of. He had the best game of his career against the best team in the land, and it made all the difference. The best team in the land failed to make the rand Final to defend its title. The best team in the land were the best team no more.

Whilst 100K members is damn impressive, it is not how we’ll remember 2018 for Richmond. We’ll remember the way they were almost anointed as premiers in July. We’ll remember the way they tore teams to shreds with their manic pressure and relentless attack. We’ll remember Jack Riewoldt claiming the Coleman, Trent Cotchin being voted as best captain, and sadly, it’ll be remember for Richmond falling to Collingwood – a team they’d rolled twice earlier.

But where does that leave Richmond? There would have to be a hunger to redeem themselves in 2019. Though they are a team of professionals, players would feel a certain amount of personal pride attached to the way their season ended. I mean, this was Collingwood – they were like Richmond-Lite, yet they found a way to get past them. The imitators beat the originators.

It has to burn a little. I hope for some it burns a lot (not dissimilar that rash Joe Ganino simply can’t get rid of), because righting a perceived wrong is a driver that can propel a team to great heights – see Geelong in 2009, and Hawthorn in 2013 for reference.

Circle Round Two in your calendars. Tiger fans, you can look past Round One – it’s only Carlton, Round Two is where your season really starts, and the road to redemption goes straight through Collingwood, ending on the last day in September. If you thought 2018 was a wild ride, buckle up for 2019… it’s going to be a cracker!

Let’s take a look at some “ifs” and “buts”...

Read the rest of the article here: https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/01/07/ifsbutstigers