Author Topic: Richmond 2019 season preview according to Bomberblitz  (Read 906 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond 2019 season preview according to Bomberblitz
« on: February 13, 2019, 05:04:09 PM »
Enemy (Essendon) supporter(s) preview of us this year:

Poster: Allblack

Richmond

Coach – Damien Hardwick

2018 –

Points For – 1st
Points Against – 2nd

Top 5 Best and Fairest

Jack Reiwoldt
    Kane Lambert
    Dustin Martin
    Shane Edwards
    Dylan Grimes

2018 Rising Star Noms

Jack Higgins (Rnd 18)

Ins – Tom Lynch, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Jack Ross, Fraser Turner, Luke English, Jake Aarts, Sydney Stack

Outs – Reece Conca, Corey Ellis, Sam Lloyd, Anthony Miles, Tyson Stengle, Nathan Drummond, Ben Griffiths, Shaun Hampson

My Prediction

In my head I look at the Richmond list and I have a mental block over them. They look shallow but somehow Hardwick has them all playing at their absolute potential and everyone on the same page. They have taken the highest scoring team of last year and added in Tom Lynch which doesn’t bode well for the rest of the competition.

The backline is set, they have perennial All Australian and the greatest full back to ever play the game in Alex Rance (not to mention his incredibly sensible haircut). He is well supported by Astbury and Grimes. Broad and Houli are handy around half back and I think Vlastuin became very important last year with his marking and setting up play.

The midfield is top heavy with Cotchin and Martin but last year they got some really good play from Edwards and Lambert. Prestia has also been really important and the spells Caddy gets running through the middle gave them support. It is still nowhere near the most talented midfield in the competition but it is probably the most effective. Everyone knows their role and gets the job done.

The forward line was very good last year and they have added in a gun centre half forward. It will be interesting to see what happens with the chemistry up forward as their high pressure game had been a big part of their success with the whole forward line working so hard to keep the ball in and being so regimented around their game plan. Whilst I think Lynch is not as strong defensively, his skillset improves the team and will see them even more effective this year.

The rucks are a genuine concern. They got found out on preliminary final day last year when Collingwood got a run on and they couldn’t stop them in the middle. Nankervis is a serviceable ruck and they need serious minutes from him. I think Lynch may see some minutes in the ruck this year. The coach can do no wrong at this point in time. He is relaxed and knows what his team his doing every week.

Richmond traded away a lot of depth this year. They always seem to find a player when they need one but a bad run with injuries this year would be an interesting challenge. Outside of that, it is hard to see them finishing anywhere other than the top two and more likely than anywhere else, top spot.

------------------------------------------

Poster: BillyBewick

I believe what hurt Richmond’s run to the finals and subsequent failure was all mental with them once they’d sown up top spot with a few weeks of the regular season to go.

The previous season with their manic pressure and riding on a wave of emotion and confidence of what their gameplan was reaping for them, they played on edge every week which carried them to the flag.

Last season after they confirmed top spot early I reckon they just ever so slightly took the foot off the pedal subconciously with a few games leading into the finals against struggling opponents who they were expected to beat easily. That wasn’t the case with a real battle to get over the Doggies and also had to hold off a fast finishing Essendon.

Coupled with two byes either side of an easy win in their first final they had lost their edge by the time they met a well prepared Pies outfit.

With the addition of Lynch, a fit Dusty and a mental break over the summer, the Tiges will be refreshed for a flag assault this year me thinks.

They won’t be the hunted this year either with all the focus on the Eagles and to a lesser extent Collingwood this season too, which will help Richmond fly under the radar a bit too which may suit them.

https://discourse.bomberblitz.com/t/season-2019-richmond/14970/14

Dougeytherichmondfan

Re: Richmond 2019 season preview according to Bomberblitz
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 01:37:23 PM »
Pretty reasonable to be honest; although I’d be curious to know what their own preview looks like.

Offline potsclub

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 03:49:46 PM »
If some one had asked me a review on last year and a preview on this year I think I would just copy and past this. I HATE ESSENDON and their supporters. But in this case it isn't a one eyed view and I can say that it's pretty much on the money.
Well done to who ever wrote it.

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 04:31:10 PM »
If some one had asked me a review on last year and a preview on this year I think I would just copy and past this. I HATE ESSENDON and their supporters. But in this case it isn't a one eyed view and I can say that it's pretty much on the money.
Well done to who ever wrote it.

Agree.  It can't be a bummer supporter surely?  Bummer supporters can't see anything beyond their own club. I think we've outed them!