Author Topic: Rance wants best-of-three finals after prelim loss (Herald-Sun)  (Read 1340 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rance wants best-of-three finals after prelim loss (Herald-Sun)
« on: February 23, 2019, 03:33:20 AM »
Rance wants best-of-three finals after prelim loss

Chris Cavanagh,
Herald Sun
February 23, 2019

Richmond defender Alex Rance has admitted last year’s preliminary final loss to Collingwood still haunts him and has suggested the AFL finals system should be tweaked to ensure the best team of the year wins the ultimate prize.

The Tigers finished two games clear atop of the ladder last year and won their qualifying final against Hawthorn with ease by 31 points.

However, the 2017 premiers went on to produce a horror preliminary final display against the Magpies, losing by 39 points to end their back-to-back dreams.

Rance said he spoke to Collingwood counterpart Scott Pendlebury this week about the idea of best-of-three finals series to ensure one bad game did not define a season.

In America, NBA finals are played as best-of-seven series.

“It’s an interesting one and it weighs on my mind a little bit at times as well but also recognising that it’s just one game,” Rance said of the preliminary final loss to the Magpies.

“We had a winning season, all told, so (you try) focusing on the positives out of that season and not really putting too much of a burden just on one game because it can happen to the best of us. I was talking to Pendles about it actually, the thought of shortening the season and making a best-of-three so you can actually really identify who the best teams are. Because on a day if a couple of the best players don’t rock up or the team isn’t quite jelling you can get knocked off.”

While the Tigers are yet to officially announce their leadership group for 2019, Rance said he did not anticipate any changes from last year’s set up which had Trent Cotchin as captain and Jack Riewoldt and Rance as vice-captains.

Rance said he hoped to feature in both of Richmond’s JLT Community Series matches, the first against Melbourne in Shepparton next Sunday.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-star-alex-rance-wants-bestofthree-finals-series-after-tigers-2018-preliminary-final-loss/news-story/5c2a4fa762a651e321af20f5c64c2621

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rance wants best-of-three finals after prelim loss (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 08:55:11 AM »
Sorry Rancey but just take the good ( 2017 ) with the bad and move on.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 09:40:14 AM »
Sorry Rancey but just take the good ( 2017 ) with the bad and move on.

Spot on.

Amazing how all this talk of change comes after teams lose

Eg best of 3 finals, (Swans, Adel), moving the GF away from the MCG (interstate teams)

Didn't hear boo from any of them when they won :huh3
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 06:57:51 PM »
Footy is footy. The beauty of finals is anyone in the 8 can win the flag if they play well enough each game in September.

Rance, Pendles & the interstate clubs can all FO when it comes to this matter
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 08:23:34 PM »
Surely he is taking the pee.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 09:08:37 PM »
STFU God Boy... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.