Author Topic: Security seized water bottles from footy fans in Shepparton (Herald-Sun)  (Read 872 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Security seized water bottles from footy fans in Shepparton

Brittany Goldsmith and Ashley Argoon,
Herald Sun
March 3, 2019 8:48pm

Footy fans were left parched and perplexed after security staff confiscated water bottles on a scorching day at the JLT match between the Tigers and Demons in Shepparton.

As the temperature soared to 37C, AFL fans entering Deakin Reserve were told they weren’t allowed to take water into the ground.

Shocked spectators said they were told to tip out unsealed liquid at the gate and fill bottles up at taps around the ground, or buy a 600ml bottle for $3.

AFL Fans Association vice president Cheryl Critchley said six frozen water bottles were taken from her and friends as they tried to enter the venue.

“I have never been picked up for that at the MCG in 40 years,” she said.

“The temperature is ridiculously hot, I’m with a woman who is 74 years old and a diabetic. It just defies common sense.

“Why are they being so strict on a day when it’s 37 degrees?”

Ms Critchley’s companion, Tigers fan Janis Wiffen, said that with her diabetes she had to keep hydrated.

“An old girl like me, is she going to put gin in a bottle?” she said.

Some spectators were even made to take folding chairs, coolers and bottles of sunscreen larger than 50ml back to their vehicles.

Another attendee, Pauline, said she could not find any of the “free refill” stations security had mentioned at the gate.

“I was even more disappointed we couldn’t bring in our own chairs,” she said. “It was a bit hot to expect people to stand around all day.”

Ms Critchley said security staff told her they were under “strict orders from the AFL” to confiscate unsealed bottles.

However, AFL head of corporate affairs, Jay Allen, said the rule was a policy enforced by management at Deakin Reserve. He said the AFL intervened at quarter-time to lift the bottle ban.

“We heard about what was going on and the AFL stepped in accordingly,” he said.

“The rule is in place at Deakin Reserve for all sporting events at the venue.”

Staff at Deakin Reserve did not return calls from the Herald Sun.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/security-seized-water-bottles-from-footy-fans-in-shepparton/news-story/9df699fc11a5b1fa13f861238c02e793

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
It was a shambles  :banghead

Actually had 3 sealed bottles of Coca-Cola taken off me because you could only take sealed bottles of water in

For the AFL to point the finger at Ground management is a joke as well. We got there just after 3 had to queue and while people were getting their water bottles emptied the AFL officials were standing around doing nothingwhile people were complaining

But the AFL claim they stepped in as soon as they became aware,  righteo then  :banghead
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 03:28:59 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
However, AFL head of corporate affairs, Jay Allen, said the rule was a policy enforced by management at Deakin Reserve. He said the AFL intervened at quarter-time to lift the bottle ban.

For the AFL to point the finger at Ground management is a joke as well. We got there just after 3 had to queue and while people were getting their water bottles emptied the AFL officials were standing around doing nothingwhile people were complaining

But the AFL claim they stepped in as soon as they became aware,  righteo then  :banghead

As usual the AFL lie.

The management of football in Shepparton is run by the General Manager - an AFL employee.
So like many other areas of grassroots footy, the AFL actually runs the whole thing.

Very handy though to make it seem like they had nothing to do with any decisions when it blows up in their face and they are exposed as the incompetents they are.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Does this indicate possible change of policy that you will not be able to take water, thermoses etc to the AFL games this year?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Does this indicate possible change of policy that you will not be able to take water, thermoses etc to the AFL games this year?

Nope
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)