Author Topic: Daniel Rioli wants to stay a Tiger to mentor & play alongside Maurice Jnr (HSun)  (Read 1029 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Why Rioli wants to stay a Tiger

JON RALPH,
Herald Sun
6 March 2019

Premiership Tiger Daniel Rioli says he is determined to sign a new contract that will allow him to remain at Punt Rd to play with cousin Maurice Rioli Jr.

Rioli comes out of contract this year and is keen to re-sign on a long-term deal.

The club is already in talks with his manager Paul Koutoufides.

“I am keen to get (the contract) done. Whenever it is, I can’t wait to hopefully get it signed but I leave that to my manager to get it sorted out,” he told the Herald Sun.

“Especially with young Maurice coming through, I want to be there for young Maurice. He is at Scotch College at the moment and he comes into the club every now and then.

“He’s going to be a special player and in a couple of years times hopefully he is on the list.

“I used to go to boarding school at Ballarat and would visit Cyril.

“Now Maurice visits me and to have me supporting him so he’s not missing home as much, you need that support base.”

Maurice Jr is eligible for the 2020 national draft and qualifies as a father-son selection for Richmond given father Maurice is a two-time best-and-fairest winner and Norm Smith medallist across 118 games.

He has indicated he wants to play with the Tigers despite also being eligible for Fremantle because his father played 168 games for South Fremantle.

Rioli, who has been able to complete a full pre-season after his foot injury in the 2017 grand final, said he had been recently drawing unlikely coaching advice from Brendan Fevola.

The Tiger forward has moved in with girlfriend Mia Fevola and the wider Fevola family after several years living with coach Damien Hardwick.

“It was a bit nerve-racking at the start moving in but he helps me a lot with my footy as well,” he said of the former Blues star, who booted 623 goals in his 204 controversy-filled games.

“I used to live with Dimma and he helped massively but to be living under Brendan’s roof, he used to be a big player so to have him giving me advice and going through games, it’s pretty amazing.

“Whoever we are coming up against, he films them and gives me tips. He was a pretty special player.”

This pre-season Rioli has trained with the midfield group in case he is needed to pinch-hit higher up the ground.

He has also worked on adding extra bulk after four pre-seasons in the AFL system

“I have been training with the midfield and learning the roles so when I get a chance to go into the midfield I know where to set up,” he said.

“I can play full time in the forward line but when they do want me I know my way around.

“In the gym I am lifting heavier (weights), trying to get the frame a bit bigger so I can handle the bigger bodies in the competition.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/daniel-rioli-keen-to-sign-a-new-richmond-contract-before-cousin-maurice-rioli-jrs-anticipated-arrival/news-story/355b5f8b96eee9d2d0be7163ae260164

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
I like Fev, heart is in the right place.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The paper version has the quirky stat that every club that has drafted a Rioli in the AFL era has won a premiership within 3 years.

Link.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Premiership Tiger Daniel Rioli says he is determined to sign a new contract that will allow him to remain at Punt Rd to play with cousin Maurice Rioli Jr.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I like Fev, heart is in the right place.

Yeah, just his brain isn't.

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do