Author Topic: Some good news hopefully / Lids re-signs for 3 years  (Read 2195 times)

Bulluss

Re: Some good news hopefully / Lids re-signs for 3 years
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2006, 05:00:43 PM »
Fantastic that we have signed them both.

Agree with other comments that it would be good to sign up Meyer for another 2 and get some sort of commitment from him.

He seems to have all of the talent but is still very raw physically.

Hate to waste a pick on him and then lose him for nothing.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Meet the new million-dollar Tiger teen
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 01:25:48 PM »
Meet the new million-dollar Tiger teen

12 April 2006   Herald Sun
Bruce Matthews
RICHMOND'S young gun Brett Deledio is the AFL's latest million-dollar man after signing a three-year contract extension yesterday.

Deledio, who turns 19 on Tuesday, will still be only 22 when the new deal with the Tigers expires at the end of the 2009 season.

The No. 1 pick in the 2004 national draft will collect about $300,000 each year. And endorsement contracts outside the club for such a marketable young player are sure to push the total past seven figures.

Richmond, still searching for its first win this season, announced a double dose of positive news with popular midfielder Chris Newman extending his contract until the end of 2008.

"We have taken a pretty clear direction of junior development over the last few seasons. We have 30 players on our list who are 24 and under. These two boys represent future leaders of that group," Tigers football director Greg Miller said yesterday.

"Obviously, there's a changing environment at the moment with the new negotiations on the TPP (total player payments), so we took that into consideration. And there's contingency plans for both boys if there's extraordinary changes. We had to work through that issue over the last month."

Deledio and Newman, who turns 24 next month, join Jay Schulz to commit to Punt Rd this season and Miller said the club was close to re-signing Adam Pattison.

Deledio said he was happy to extend the existing contract by another three years to ward off rival suitors.

"Obviously with the pathway we're taking, I'm looking forward to being a part of that," he said.

"We've got a young group and we're very excited about what we can do. We have a clear direction and clear goals that we want to achieve, to play in finals and be a successful team.

"I'm in no rush to go anywhere, to have a three-year deal is fine by me."

Richmond coach Terry Wallace said Deledio's work ethic had become the benchmark for even some of the senior players.

"When you go for a first-round draft pick, you know it's going to be a player of genuine talent and excitement. What you don't know is just how much they want it, how much preparation they're prepared to put in to reach the elite level," Wallace said.

"What I've been impressed with Brett is his hunger and desire to learn, to better himself. He has probably, whether humiliated is the right word, set the scene for some of the senior players to live up to."

Wallace was similarly effusive in his praise of Newman, a less-heralded but equally dedicated worker who won selection in Australia's international rules team last year.

"When I arrived at the club, I suppose within the first month I saw a real quality player in Chris who I had thought at that stage hadn't reached his peak," Wallace said. "I set him a challenge early in the piece, I thought he was a player capable of taking a quantum leap in performance, and he took up that immediately.

"He was voted the hardest worker in the pre-season. I see him as a hard, tough, uncompromising player who will be a leader of some sorts at the club in the future."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,18789290%255E19771,00.html

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Meet the new million-dollar Tiger teen
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2006, 02:13:50 PM »
The No. 1 pick in the 2004 national draft will collect about $300,000 each year. And endorsement contracts outside the club for such a marketable young player are sure to push the total past seven figures.

Not a bad earner for an 18 year old  :yep.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Talented Tiger pair’s re-signing delights Plough
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 04:14:31 PM »
Talented Tiger pair’s re-signing delights Plough
10:02:40 AM Thu 13 April, 2006
richmondfc.com.au

The news this week that Chris Newman and Brett Deledio had extended their contracts at Richmond was sweet music to the ears of their coach Terry Wallace.

Both Newman, 23 next month, and Deledio, 19 next week, figure prominently in Wallace’s plans to develop the Tigers into a force to be reckoned with.

Wallace said the pair are already role models among the playing group at Tigerland, and he sees them as future leaders of the Club.

Deledio reminds Wallace of a young Scotty West, who had such an impact from the outset of his AFL career at the Western Bulldogs.

Wallace felt that the 31-year-old West, a seven-time Bulldog Best and Fairest winner, displayed similar traits of professionalism and desire in his debut season of 1993, when ‘Plough’ was coaching the Bulldogs’ reserves.

“Sometimes it takes a young gun, somebody who’s really trying to aspire and achieve, to wake up and show a few of the others around the place, and I think Brett’s had the ability to do that,” Wallace said.

“He has set the scene for some of the senior players to live up to and there are a few of those who can take a leaf out of the way he’s organised himself . . .

“When you go for a first-round draft pick, you know it's going to be a player of genuine talent and excitement. What you don't know is just how much they want it, how much preparation they're prepared to put in to reach the elite level.

“What I've been impressed with Brett is his hunger and desire to learn, to better himself. He has probably, whether humiliated is the right word, set the scene for some of the senior players to live up to.”

Wallace was equally enthusiastic in his praise of Newman . . .

“When I arrived at the club, I suppose within the first month I saw a real quality player in Chris, who I had thought at that stage hadn't reached his peak,” he said.

“I set him a challenge early in the piece, I thought he was a player capable of taking a quantum leap in performance, and he took up that immediately.

“He was voted the hardest worker in the pre-season. I see him as a hard, tough, uncompromising player, who will be a leader of some sorts at the club in the future.”

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=257413