Author Topic: 3 to 4 changes this week - Royal  (Read 3318 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
3 to 4 changes this week - Royal
« on: April 03, 2006, 11:40:08 PM »
Brian Royal was on club corner tonight:

* Positives from friday - no injuries then went umm lol. Rainesy on Murphy, Simmonds 3 goals from the ruck and Lids. That's all.

*Negatives - Skill level. Really disappointing as we concentrated hours on it over summer as it hurt us last year too. 5 of first 9 dog goals came directly from our poor foot skills. Players then went back into their selves and it became stop-start.

* Believes we can turn it around. Mentioned Carlton getting thumped by 99 point in the preseason.

* The good teams play consistent footy every week. We haven't done that. Swans game was the best we've played in his time at Richmond then the following get flogged by Essendon. We haven't been able to generate continuity in performance. Last year won 7 of first 9 games then fell away. Falls back on our leaders.

* Number 1 assistant coach. He makes sure the football side of things is organised such as at training. Wallace does the managing.

* Skill level has alot to do with confidence. The bulldogs pressure also had alot to do with our turnovers. Easier to kick to space but we kicked to contests which results in turnovers.

* Asked about our senior players not being damaging enough. Royal agreed but he saw it more as across the board rather than just the senior players.

* We need to get games into the youth (50-60 games as quickly as you can). Mentioned Meyer, Polo and Pattison. If that means playing JON then so be it. We need to do so before the senior players are gone. We coud of gone down the path of Hawthorn of all youth and forget the senior players but we felt we owed somethiing to our senior blokes - Richo, Joel and Gas.

* Asked if any changes this week as VFL didn't play? Royal said our reserves guys have played 10 practice games so they're ready and we'll make 3-4 changes. No doubt. No radical changes. It'll be based on form.

* Knobel, Staff available. Hall close. Chaff 2 weeks away.

* Physically can't get any better shape and can't do much about altering preparation in 7 days. All mental. Some our players lack belief that they're good enough. We've got to get them mentally right.

* Going to get fluctuations in form with a young group but we expect improvement over the year. Next year need to aim for finals and top 4. A bit beyond at the moment (Ed. LOL). Bulldogs 6 years ahead of us  :o.

* A biomechanical study said you need 500 hours to improve an athletes skill. We don't always have 500 hours to work on kicking. If they can't improve then they won't last. We can't afford to win the footy then give it up.

* They'll be 3-4 changes but that won't fix things. Need the right attitude and effort.

* We embarrassed the whole club and supporters. If they can't do it then we need to find those that can.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 12:04:35 AM by one-eyed »

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: 3 to 4 changes this week - Royal
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 08:06:37 AM »
Funny how a flogging from the Bombers sends us on a downward spiral.   Sheedy must employ some powerful mind games on our players.  Jedi mind tricks - only work on weak minds.

Moi

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 08:37:21 AM »
I was rapt to hear Royal say that we need to get 50 to 60 games experience into these kids ASAP.  But then i thought of last year Rainsey, and they sat him on the bench for most of the games he played, having five minute bursts here and there.  Getting the games is good, but giving them ground time is more important.  Not learning nothing sitting on their bums.

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 11:30:12 AM »
It wont be the changes that need to be done.

It should be out with the old in with the new, the mere fact Chaffey's name is mentioned makes my skin crawl.

Kellaway should be dropped, Schulz should be sent to CHB, Pattison should be dumped and Hughes should take his place, P Bowden is too slow and should be dumped bring in Meyer on a HFF. Dump Krakeour I'm sick of his lazy performances throw J-O-N into the deep end.

Atleast our kids will have a crack, hell we cant get any worse when we have just been flogged by 20 goals.

Instead we will see the following changes, in - stafford and hall, out - tambling and Pattison.  :banghead

There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 01:57:43 PM »
We coud of gone down the path of Hawthorn of all youth and forget the senior players but we felt we owed somethiing to our senior blokes - Richo, Joel and Gas.

If the senior blokes arent prepared to carry extra weight, we owe them nothing. I'm surprised the coaching staff feel we owe any players anything.  :banghead

B bloody ruthless

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Royal on club corner (audio)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 02:11:17 PM »
For those that missed club corner last night here is the audio to Royal's interview:

http://sport927.com.au/gateway/Daily_Audio/Sound%20Grabs/BR_040406.asx

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »
If Knobel is fit I reckon he's a given to comeback (gee we missed him in the middle last week) but I am really worried that fractured bone wouldn't have healed properly. How big is the risk is what I want to know

I'd bring back Stafford and throw him in the goalsquare - keep him there and tell the little blokes to stand at his feet :clapping

The question IMO isn't who to bring in but who do you drop :-\
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 08:30:06 PM »
Hyde.
Rodan.
Schultz
Foley

Ox

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 08:45:52 PM »
Hyde.
Rodan.
Schultz
Foley
Bowden
Gaspar
:thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Changes after Tigers' Round 1 rout (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 03:01:29 AM »
Changes after Tigers' Round 1 rout
05 April 2006   
Herald Sun
Rebecca Williams

RICHMOND coach Terry Wallace hasn't ruled out punishing some players at the selection table for the Tigers' opening-round mauling from the Bulldogs.

While Wallace was wary of being emotionally reactive after the 115-point loss, he indicated positions could be under threat for Friday night's clash against St Kilda at Telstra Dome.

"We won't make any decisions emotively based," Wallace said yesterday.

"But we had two or three blokes in the side that really struggled. It seemed like they were down on a bit of confidence. If you are down on confidence, we have to back our squad in to make change.

"Selection last week was fairly close with two or three positions in the side. Two or three blokes didn't get the nod and went and played in the intra-club with Coburg and performed pretty well.

"We will let them go back to reserve-grade football and regain that confidence."

The Tigers yesterday ran off the shocker with a training session that stretched two hours at Punt Rd.

Wallace said the pride of his players had been wounded, but he was confident their self-belief remained intact for Friday's clash.

The match has taken on added importance, with the Tigers' next two games (West Coast and Brisbane Lions) on the road.

"I would be very disappointed if it has flattened them that much," Wallace said. "We were in a very similar scenario last year and we were able to work out of it. We know that the group has had the resolve to be able to work out of these situations in the past."

Wallace expects a more committed unit against St Kilda.

"What I expect from our blokes is what I expected from them in Round 1 and I didn't get, that is full-blooded, absolute committed effort for four quarters," he said. "We don't step away from the fact that we didn't deliver that last Friday night."

The Tigers will closely monitor Nathan Brown, who pulled up sore from his first serious match since breaking his leg in Round 10 last year.

"He was pretty sore as we expected him to be," he said.

"Every game that's going to be the way it is in early times until he gets those miles into his legs.

"I am still not sure how we will go with him, whether we will play him on a weekly basis, or whether we will play him for three and rest him for one.

"Each week we will just see how he pulls up. At the moment he is on track for this week."

Wallace was hopeful big men Greg Stafford (calf) and Trent Knobel (leg) would be available for selection.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,18715113%255E19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 04:15:01 AM »
Schultz

We didn't need talls in defence against the doggies but we'll need them against the Saints - Gehrig, Riewoldt, Hamill and possibly Kosi  :help. With Razor still not right, Schulz will have to play CHB or even FB on Gehrig. After all that's where Sarge has trained all summer. Schulz on Gehrig and Gas on Riewoldt and then good luck with the rest  :-\.

Ins out of Hartigan, Knobel, Stafford and Thursfield (if he is 100%).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 01:03:40 PM »

Foley

Can't drop Foley - we need someone to take on Baker, an angry ant as they say ;) :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline DallasCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • roll on 2011
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 06:07:17 PM »
Does anyone think they will put Jackson back in the side?
Experience is a good school. But the fees are high.
Heinrich Heine

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 06:13:40 PM »
Does anyone think they will put Jackson back in the side?

If they're basing selection on the RFC vs Coburg game then he'd be a good chance IMO DC. Lead and presented well up the ground.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 04:23:37 PM »
Richmond team for Round 2, 2006
richmondfc.com.au
3:26:23 PM Thu 6 April, 2006

The Richmond team for Round 2, 2006:-

B: Newman, Gaspar, Schulz

H/B: Kellaway, J Bowden, Raines