Author Topic: Richmond has "lost their DNA" says Terry Wallace (SEN)  (Read 3084 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond has "lost their DNA" says Terry Wallace (SEN)
« on: April 02, 2019, 05:17:05 PM »
Richmond has "lost their DNA" says Terry Wallace

By Nic Negrepontis
SEN
2 April 2019

Australian football Hall of Famer Terry Wallace is concerned Richmond has gone away from what made them such a dominant team in recent years.

The Tigers suffered a big loss to Collingwood in Round 2, with the Pies outplaying them all night and pulling away late to win by 44 points.

“Their biggest issue is they’ve lost their DNA. What is their DNA? It was pressure and tackling,” Wallace told SEN Afternoons.

“I just went through some of the players in the side and some of the numbers, and I understand we’ve only got two weeks and Round 2 was a really weird game, but when you have a look at it, Dustin Martin has not laid a tackle in two weeks.

“Think about where he’s playing. He’s never been a tackle machine, but he’s playing exactly around the ball and he hasn’t laid one tackle as your key player.

“Nick Vlastuin, who I love as a player, no tackles Round 1 and one tackle Round 2.

“Daniel Rioli, his role is forward pressure, two tackles Round 1, one tackle last week.

“They bring Mav Weller to the club, two tackles Round 1, none in Round 2.

“Four players have had six tackles between them in two weeks, then they change up the side and bring in three blokes who add a bit more speed, you think they’ll be hungry.

“Brandon Ellis one tackle, Jason Castagna one tackle, Oleg Markov one tackle. I mean, they’ve lost their DNA.”

The Tigers are currently ranked 16th in the competition for tackles per game and were out-tackled by Collingwood in Round 2, despite having 130 fewer disposals.

Richmond face GWS in Round 3 at GIANTS Stadium and will be without reigning Coleman Medallist Jack Riewoldt who is dealing with wrist and knee injuries and Dylan Grimes who is suspended.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/04/02/richmond-has-lost-their-dna-says-wallace/

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond has "lost their DNA" says Terry Wallace (SEN)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 06:23:47 PM »
Spot on don't agree with Wallace most times but his correct yet we keep on persisting with this 2017 game plan yet were not even close to executing it in a lot of aspects.Star player or not Martin needs to be told do your defence duties to not try this show pony stuff it's hurting us get back to basics.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 09:32:26 PM »
Have to agree with Terry here
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

strongandbold

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 10:57:06 PM »
He isnt wrong but he is basing this on one game.  Get a better sample size of games Plough.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2019, 11:08:29 PM »
I just had a look because I don’t remember us actually being a high tackle side in 2018 and I was correct as we ranked 9th in the comp for total tackles. But in our premiership year we were ranked 4th and had about 250 more tackles than last year.

Same with clearances:
2017 ranked 4th
2018 ranked 12th

So people complaining about our 2017 gamestyle being outdated and worked out, well I’m not sure we have been playing that style for a while now.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 11:15:57 PM »
I just had a look because I don’t remember us actually being a high tackle side in 2018 and I was correct as we ranked 9th in the comp for total tackles. But in our premiership year we were ranked 4th and had about 250 more tackles than last year.

Same with clearances:
2017 ranked 4th
2018 ranked 12th

So people complaining about our 2017 gamestyle being outdated and worked out, well I’m not sure we have been playing that style for a while now.
:clapping
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 07:00:49 AM »
He isnt wrong but he is basing this on one game.  Get a better sample size of games Plough.

No, he is basing it on 2 games of the season plus 2 pre-season games.

All 4 have shown the lack of intensity around the contest

Pressure was almost non existent in stages in rd 1 difference being we won so it gets ignored
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 07:05:30 AM »
Manic pressure was a term bantered about us in 2017, now it seems a distant memory.
Something is wrong in the henhouse.
Is Dimma starting to think he is a clever coach again as per 2015 and 2016?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2019, 07:06:44 AM »
Manic pressure was a term bantered about us in 2017, now it seems a distant memory.
Something is wrong in the henhouse.
Is Dimma starting to think he is a clever coach again as per 2015 and 2016?
I don't think so but time will tell, starting this week!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 08:13:38 AM »
You could see it ebbing away towards the end of last season actually.
I dont believe you can just lose it like that, but as Ive stated many times a lot of this game is played above the shoulders.
Maybe we have just fallen into the trap, especially after such a great year last year of beleiving in the hype too much.
Tough tough period coming up for the group and maybe just maybe that will be good for them in the long run.
Better early rounds than the business end, we just have to make sure we are there abouts.
I still believe in them, just need a good reality check.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 09:43:03 AM »
 :cheers

Totally agree, it’s an adjustment or a real problem.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 12:39:01 PM »
Maybe it's a just such a highly intense physical game stye that it simply can't be maintained for an extended period....I doubt that's the reason though considering it;s continued into a new season....also you can't really say it's fitness as we overran Carlton in round one and they were clearly fitter than they were in the corresponding match last year.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 04:08:39 PM »
When we won the flag, the talk was that we weren't the most talented list in the comp... now we're getting around like we're millionaires.

The two JLT wins probably made the boys think they could bludge and still get away with a win. They have received a wake up call.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 07:50:34 PM »
Exhibit A today. The manic pressure and intensity just isn't there anymore and our most of our small forwards are no longer threatening to cause forward half turnovers in the numbers we're use to (Rioli was the only exception today). We're been sliced open and embarrassingly like the Dees are far too easy to score against.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd